Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expedition chassis build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

The guy I got them from Assured me of quality Weddle internals, but I’ve bought enough used crap before to know not to get my hopes up. I payed little enough that a solid rebuild is still in the budget before it gets used.

Since I’ve moved I’ve slacked on mounting my tube bender. I need to get it setup to complete the rear section of the cage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Not so sure I agree with that rear suspension setup or offroad wheel and tire choice in this pic... Shocked

Cool

But I DO agree with the basic concept of the rear motor mount in this pic.

I've observed over the years many offroaders and racers having trouble with motor mounts that are on the engine cage bars under the engine. When you bang the skidplate, that pushes the engine up. At least flexes things a lot. Sometimes break things. The ones who have no trouble hang the mounts from the upper rails. For a 4 cylinder like an Ecotec, running bars diagonally down from the corners of the top rail with the crossmember above the bell housing. In your chassis, running removable bars down from where you're hanging that strap would be a good place.

My buddy has a 4-seater with a n Acura NSX V6. I like that. but it could use a more expensive trans to handle the HP. He keeps breaking the bus trans. He saved money on the initial cost of the trans, but spends more on rebuilding and replacing it often.

Oh... While I really like the mock-up shock mounts, I recommend that the upper shock mount bolt be parallel with the pivots for the trailing arm.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Got sidetracked on the buggy to do a gender reveal at the river.
Gonna have a girl!

Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Been busy but back to do some welding on the car and hopefully progress soon

Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Man I'm REALLY digging the detail of the components you are making!

Those rear arms look very nice! I see the billet bearing housing, is that designed to hold VW bearings and stub axles?

Any way you'd be interested in sharing those files for the arms? I'd like to build a set for myself, adapted for microstubs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Thank you! So the billet housings are EMPI parts and yes they use all the type one bearings and stubs. One day I’d like to convert to micro stubs as well.

I think you said once you had access to water jet or laser? I might share the files been burned in the past but I really don’t see me building sets of these. And selling the plates for others to weld will eventually get reverse engineered anyway.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Working on little things when I can. Still waiting on shocks but scored a char-Lynn torque generator for power steering.

Does anyone have any suggestions on hid vs led? I’d like to convert these old hella lights.

Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

What spring rates and lengths are you running on your front coilovers?
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

I'm by no means a lighting expert. My car came with cheap round HID's and I'm not really that impressed with them. I do like the "old school" round housing look though.

I would look on Youtube for a channel called Headlight Revolution. He sells basically all of the conversion kits for lighting, but he seems to have unbiased reviews with testing of many of the conversion kits in many different type housings.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Mike E. wrote:

They are 10” stroke shocks with 150lb 10” long upper spring and 200lb 10” lower spring
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
I'm by no means a lighting expert. My car came with cheap round HID's and I'm not really that impressed with them. I do like the "old school" round housing look though.

I would look on Youtube for a channel called Headlight Revolution. He sells basically all of the conversion kits for lighting, but he seems to have unbiased reviews with testing of many of the conversion kits in many different type housings.

I’ll check them out! Thanks for the tip.
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Cody Loren wrote:
Mike E. wrote:

They are 10” stroke shocks with 150lb 10” long upper spring and 200lb 10” lower spring

Thank You.
Nice car and you are doing great work
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Laying out the dash. Got the lower dash bar squared and tacked in. Somethings are just time consuming solo.

Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Got the panel in with switches and gauges

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Oooh yes. As a man who spent way too much time on my dash, I approve of this dash.

I didn't realize how much time I'd spend looking at it waiting for some indication that my engine was exploding, and yours sure is easy on the eyes as well.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

Paging Richard!

Earlier on you recommend my shock pivots be parallel to the trailing arm pivots if I’m correct? Would you approve of this for the lowers?

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

That looks about perfecto, mine are at that angle and the spherical shock ends barely articulate at all through the travel. (Doing this also minimizes the likelihood of bending a shock shaft too, if you really stuff it good. Razz )

As a sidenote, I think the correct way to summon him is to say 'Dusty Dusty Dusty Racecar Racecar Racecar' and then wave some burning sage over your keyboard but I'm a little out of practice so I could be wrong.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
That looks about perfecto, mine are at that angle and the spherical shock ends barely articulate at all through the travel. (Doing this also minimizes the likelihood of bending a shock shaft too, if you really stuff it good. Razz )

As a sidenote, I think the correct way to summon him is to say 'Dusty Dusty Dusty Racecar Racecar Racecar' and then wave some burning sage over your keyboard but I'm a little out of practice so I could be wrong.

The verbage is correct but it must be done in a racecar, in the dark, in front of the rear view mirror.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

I got rid of all of the incandescent bulbs on my buggy and replaced them all with LED. The current draw is next to nothing and in lots of cases relays aren't required but I'm a complete wiring/electrical nerd and have relays installed for all of my lighting circuits. It's just the right thing to do.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Expedition chassis build Reply with quote

I’ve got a few tubes added to the car and started figuring out the power steering. Still waiting on bypasses to wrap up the rear.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: