Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Elephant Ear Mirrors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Did Elephant Ear Mirrors come from the factory for 66/67 buses?
I have seen both round and Elephant Ear mirrors hence the question.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Dealer accessory from what I remember

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

VWOA accessory:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Yes, accessory

Accessories brochure too

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Where does the top arm of that harp mirror attach to?
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Thanks
So my bus is a factory So-42 Westy. Does that mean it should NOT have come with elephant ears? So-42 upgrade came directly from Germany hence the question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

epayne611 wrote:

Primitive photo retouching, I guess they missed a spot pasting that in.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Good question but I think they are saying the bus coming form Germany would be round then once here they can have the dealer install the elephant style. I have an SO42 also and I like the look of the round mirror for form but the visibility of the elephant style is better for function. Oddly I really wish I had the big folding mirrors because of superior visibility hence function but I would never drill into my doors. I hope my next bus is pre hacked with the holes Wink
My round mirrors look good but their function is not my jam.

chamilka wrote:
Thanks
So my bus is a factory So-42 Westy. Does that mean it should NOT have come with elephant ears? So-42 upgrade came directly from Germany hence the question.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I have an SO42 also and I like the look of the round mirror for form but the visibility of the elephant style is better for function.

Get some round Unimog mirrors. They run about $50 a set and fit stock arms.

Best picture I have right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
epayne611 wrote:

Primitive photo retouching, I guess they missed a spot pasting that in.

Awesome! I've looked at the photo hundreds of times over the last many decades and never noticed it! A whole thread in the generals section could be dedicated to just those horrible touchups VW did in their lit.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

They also forgot the one-eyed-duck.
I didn’t know wiper washer squirters were an option in ‘62 or ‘63.
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
VWOA accessory:

I never realized the truck mirrors were VW Accessory as well. I really like them. So far it was generally assumed that they cannot pass inspection in Germany, but this changes it ... sweet.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

I never saw that design interesting.

Atlantic wrote:
easy e wrote:
VWOA accessory:

I never realized the truck mirrors were VW Accessory as well. I really like them. So far it was generally assumed that they cannot pass inspection in Germany, but this changes it ... sweet.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

squirters were an option in 63.

I don't like the big truck mirrors because when you walk around the bus they can hit you in the face. I had a riviera with them on, and while they were good for visibility in terms of size, they did not adjust well, and did not fold.

I like the driver side mirror on my kombi better for visibility than the round ones, it is some generic mirror I think. I know what you mean Linda about the lesser visibility of the stock round one. Il faut souffrir pour être belle. Ok, the Kombi is not so beautiful. Very Happy

The passenger side on the kombi is an aftermarker elephant ear, and jitters. Old school elephant ears don't jitter.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Interesting drivers mirror Clara.
Seems like every mirror vibrates a bit for me, good to know the big truck style do not fold although I would never drill into a perfectly good door and frame to add one but I would keep one on my next bus for a bit.

Clara wrote:
easy e wrote:

squirters were an option in 63.

I don't like the big truck mirrors because when you walk around the bus they can hit you in the face. I had a riviera with them on, and while they were good for visibility in terms of size, they did not adjust well, and did not fold.

I like the driver side mirror on my kombi better for visibility than the round ones, it is some generic mirror I think. I know what you mean Linda about the lesser visibility of the stock round one. Il faut souffrir pour être belle. Ok, the Kombi is not so beautiful. Very Happy

The passenger side on the kombi is an aftermarker elephant ear, and jitters. Old school elephant ears don't jitter.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, accessory

Accessories brochure too

I was looking at this brochure close as when I got hands on my bus it came with this same mirror combination. I’m not sure what is proper for a 65. I don’t mind the elephant ears, but really like the two piece arms a little more. Then the squarish mirror seemed like maybe not even VW until I saw this photo. A little confused.

NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Took a little customizing, but after trying this they are great (Auto Craft UK) Stainless steel Harps. Less vibration and tuck-in nicer-both sides
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Took a little customizing, but after trying this they are great (Auto Craft UK) Stainless steel Harps. Less vibration and tuck-in nicer-both sides

I really like those harps !!
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

Definitely an accessory, I have the OG bill of sale and he paid for mirrors, seat belt and undercoating.
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Elephant Ear Mirrors Reply with quote

The 66 Sundial I recently bought has elephant ears. The right one cannot be adjusted so as to give a useful view. I am looking in to find out if the arm on the passenger side is supposed to protrude further than the one on the driver side.
Any wisdom on that? Thank you.

Chuey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: