Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

This would be for a
- tintop with a bed
- used minimally, bit of camping,
- no daily drving, no professional use
- 1984 WBX

Is it cheapest to register as a camping van (is this possible if it does not yet have stove and sink)?

...or cheaper to register as an 'OLD TIMER'?

...or maybe both?

Any other tips welcome > insurance is insanely costly over here - THANKS
Ed
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

If the vehicle is registered as a Motorhome then you HAVE to go through ICBC for all your coverage.
If it's registered as a passenger van then you can get your basic coverage through ICBC and your optional coverage through another carrier like BCAA or Cooperators. You may save a little that way.
If you insure it as an antique your usage will be limited.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
If the vehicle is registered as a Motorhome then you HAVE to go through ICBC for all your coverage.
If it's registered as a passenger van then you can get your basic coverage through ICBC and your optional coverage through another carrier like BCAA or Cooperators. You may save a little that way.
If you insure it as an antique your usage will be limited.

No right now it is registered as a daily driver and not antique. I'm not at all sure how it works, but I guess when I register it under my name I can tell them what it's use will be (ie: camping), and can register it as a camper/mobile home as such??

For registering as an antique does it have to "qualify" in some way or be "tested" in some way or you just have to write down the car's age? ...and do you know what limitations would be in effect as an "antique/camper"? [or if you register as an antique, you can't also register as a camper??]

OK... I will also go down and talk to various insurance agents, but just thought I'd ask here first also.

Thanks again
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

You have to do the minimum with ICBC regardless. Private use, not business - to and from work helps a bit with the cost.

Good luck getting a van a 'Collectors Plate'. It would have to be in perfect condition and original, and 25 years or older. The only restriction of use is to and from work is forbidden.

There is an inexpensive camper option with Guardian Insurance, but it must be a camper version with an agreed value. Photos needed, and it must be a camper conversion.

Mike
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:

Good luck getting a van a 'Collectors Plate'. It would have to be in perfect condition and original

This has original paint and more or less everything original >>> or?
Does a COLLECTORS' PLATE mean cheaper insurance?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Robinson wrote:

There is an inexpensive camper option with Guardian Insurance, but it must be a camper version with an agreed value. Photos needed, and it must be a camper conversion.

So this "tintop" would not qualify?
Is it significantly cheaper?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

Ed, A good insurance agent will be a big help. Maybe talk to two to compare what they say.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

If you qualify for collector plates in BC your insurance costs for that vehicle are in the neighbourhood of $300 - $400 per year, BUT your vehicle has to be pretty much perfect - I know as my 72 Volvo ES was rejected for a couple of patina issues despite having won awards for 'best original' and the like...WTH?

The link to the ICBC site is here: https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Collector-vehicles.aspx and as mentioned you cannot drive it to/from work and you also have to have another primary vehicle insured, with the collector serving as a secondary ride.

I have seen a couple of Westy's here locally with collector plates and may eventually explore that route with mine once I correct a few surface/body flaws.

Best of luck!
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

Good luck getting a van a 'Collectors Plate'. It would have to be in perfect condition and original

Mike Robinson wrote:

No way will you get collectors plate with that vehicle. It has to be perfect with 20 pictures. My 1987 Airhead BMW costs $120 per year with a collector plate, but it is unmolested and has 27,000km

No cheep options on insurance in BC - but it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. As the license plate will remind you.

M
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

Mike Robinson wrote:

No way will you get collectors plate with that vehicle. It has to be perfect with 20 pictures. My 1987 Airhead BMW costs $120 per year with a collector plate, but it is unmolested and has 27,000km

No cheep options on insurance in BC - but it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. As the license plate will remind you.

M
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

Collectible condition
​Vehicles with any damage anywhere — regardless of vehicle age —​ does not meet the collectible condition.​

Funny, I saw a Westy the other day which didn't look so wonderful but had COLLECTORS plates.
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

Good old ICBC, once you have collectors plates no further checking is usually required, so the condition can slip a bit ... I have heard of the occasional re assessment, but it is rare.

Collectors plates are not transferable. So if you buy a Collectors plate vehicle you have to reapply for the Collectors plate.

Its just a cost of doing business, insurance is insurance.

Oh forgot, one of the other conditions of Collector plate insurance is you have another vehicle with normal insurance.

Mike
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
Good old ICBC, once you have collectors plates no further checking is usually required, so the condition can slip a bit ... I have heard of the occasional re assessment, but it is rare.

Mike

I was wondering about this. In my opinion, if there's an accident or event where you end up owing a big some of money (Civil liability can add up to millions of dollars), then the insurer will do everything it can to default you, meaning it will check if you still met the terms of the insurance contract. Your vehicle was not in perfect condition, as it should have been the the Collector requirements? Then your insurance was void at the time of the incident. And then suddenly YOU owe several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This catastrophe scenario is highly improbable, but if it happens your life will be affected, and for long. Worth considering.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

I was wondering about this. In my opinion, if there's an accident or event where you end up owing a big some of money (Civil liability can add up to millions of dollars), then the insurer will do everything it can to default you, meaning it will check if you still met the terms of the insurance contract. Your vehicle was not in perfect condition, as it should have been the the Collector requirements? Then your insurance was void at the time of the incident. And then suddenly YOU owe several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This catastrophe scenario is highly improbable, but if it happens your life will be affected, and for long. Worth considering.

Good point... my guess is that it depends on how bad your vehicle got. And more importantly if it could be determined that the reduction in condition of your vehicle specifically could be traced to the cause of the accident > for example if you brakes failed, then clearly your car was not in "perfect" condition.
But I would suspect that ICBC could not shift all blame to you because it is also their responsibility to keep track of the condition of the cars they insure.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

But I would suspect that ICBC could not shift all blame to you because it is also their responsibility to keep track of the condition of the cars they insure.

I really doubt that. The onus is probably on the owner to inform ICBC of any degradation in condition. I don't know for sure but it seems likely.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

The 'perfect' condition typically applies to the cosmetics, not the mechanicals, as ICBC does not (in my experience) test the mechanicals of any car including collector cars. Typically, the test of the courts in liability cases is negligence on the part of the defendant, so if there was a brake failure, the courts (or insurer) would need to determine that the owner was derelict (negligent) in his/her duty to maintain a safe vehicle, so collector status (or not) becomes moot at this point. I always applaud the roadside inspectors in BC that pull over the big rigs and impound them for the various defaults, usually focused on braking systems as there are lot of horror stories out there. I imagine the assumption of ICBC (and the Hagerty's of the world for that matter) is that the owner of a collector status car will not let it seriously degrade over time. My .02 cents.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Vanagon insurance in Vancouver BC? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
epowell wrote:

I really doubt that. The onus is probably on the owner to inform ICBC of any degradation in condition. I don't know for sure but it seems likely.

+1

I see insurance like this: it's a contract between you and ICBC. ICBC insures you against a premium.
With Collector plates, each party must hold their end of the contract too: you maintain your vehicle to Collector standards, and ICBC insures you in case of damage or liability.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: