Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

subaru conversion and continuous priming.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: subaru conversion and continuous priming. Reply with quote

My subaru conversion is almost there. Couple issues to work out and we will be ready to take a drive.
1. Fuel pump repeatedly primes the system. About every three to 10 seconds with key turned to run (not start). I can hear the fuel going bac into the tank via the return line. previous conversion primed once and didnt again.

2. turns over real slow. Takes a few to get it to start up due to the slow revolutions. ( my suspicion). Possible ground issue im looking into. other ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and couple issues. Reply with quote

what size subaru?
and what starter do you have?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and couple issues. Reply with quote

the stock starter from a 1.9
i plan to move to the high torque when $$ allows.

EJ 2.2

The ground may have helped the starting issue. Last two tries were much quicker. But the pump keeps on running. Every few seconds buzzz buzzz. Loud annoying pump. I suspect its flooding the motor.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and couple issues. Reply with quote

"Fuel pump repeatedly primes the system. About every three to 10 seconds with key turned to run (not start). I can hear the fuel going bac into the tank via the return line. previous conversion primed once and didnt again"

The fuel pump should only cycle once unless you have the two green test connectors connected. It does not flood.The fuel only cycles back to the tank. An 86-91 2.1L starter will work until you get the high torque starter.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and couple issues. Reply with quote

So the system has no idea how much fuel pressure is present? Can’t see how it would. The ECU primes one time for every turn of the key to start? While looking at grounds on engine and tranny I noticed what looks like fuel oil mix around my exhaust gasket below the no 1 cylinder. It’s wet and smells of fuel oddly when the motor does start there is no audible exhaust leak. Would think a torqued down exhaust manifold would hold the fuel and oil inside the exhaust pathway.

Out having a beer but will inspect again in an hour when home for the green test leads being connected. Would the motor start w the test leads connected? Never had the joy of obd1. Don’t know squat about these motors. My last swap was a 1995 ej22, so obd2.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and continuous priming. Reply with quote

green connectors are disconnected.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: subaru conversion and continuous priming. Reply with quote

Maybe these will help.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037162

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2053936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: