Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 shifting issues!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

I have been slowly getting my 63 out and on the road with trips around town with the family and dog.
I have been noticing that when down shifting from third to second I am having a hard time getting it in second gear. It also sometimes is grinding reverse gear when down shifting to second and I have to jiggle around the shifter till I can find it. Acceleration is good, there is no slipping or popping out of gear. It even takes a bit of finding to get first gear after coming to a stop then proceeding.
Now I havent changed fluids or adjusted anything yet.
Is there something or somewhere I should start first?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

I would start with checking the coupler and shift rod bushing. More than likely one if not both probably need to be replaced. If they are good, then readjust the shifter. I'd also check the transmission mounts.
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

I know the coupler is good, I will check the bushing though. I got rid of the T shifter that was in it and put stock back in. But Im pretty sure it was doing this before.
I know the tranny and engine are rebuilt and only have around 50k on them.
The car sat for 10 years.
Thanks
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

This sounds like an adjustment issue, specifically the adjustment of the shifter base plate on top of the tunnel under the rubber shifter boot.

You will have to take that out to inspect your shift rod bushing (which you should do) so then you can play around with the adjustment when putting it back together.
webfiero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

I just got a ‘63 and the shifter was sloppy and it kept trying to go into reverse when shifting. I put in a new bushing and a coupler and now it’s perfect. It’s crazy to do one instead of both. If either is worn, it’s a good chance both need replacement. These early beetles are great drivers when brought back to spec.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

pdaddy68 wrote:
I know the coupler is good, I will check the bushing though. I got rid of the T shifter that was in it and put stock back in. But Im pretty sure it was doing this before.
I know the tranny and engine are rebuilt and only have around 50k on them.
The car sat for 10 years.
Thanks

It does sound like a worn bushing. It lets the shift rod drop a little and then the movement of the shifter rotates the rod more than before (the shifter moves the same amount, but the ball is further from the center line of the rod.) If the bushing is good and you have that problem then move the shifter body slightly to the left. If you have a hard time finding 1st and 2nd move the shifter slightly to the right.

I've never figured out a good way to get the adjustment right the first time, so I've gotten better at getting it right eventually. Confused
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback, I took a quick look at the bushing. Seems a little sloppy and didn’t see a clip. So I’ll order those and just do it so I know it’s good.
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

Search for threads about changing the bushing. There are issues with some of the new ones, but you can make them work if you are careful. For example, check out:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662961
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 shifting issues! Reply with quote

I replaced the original shift bushing in my 1970 about 1.25 years ago, see page 21 of my thread, have photos. My shift bushing and clip came from JBugs. It's been fine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=400

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did pull the shift rod entirely out through the front, and cleaned it up using fine steel wool.

I installed the shift bushing into the new clip, by squeezing the bushing. Similarly, by squeezing the rear of the bushing and using some grease, I was able to seat the bushing/clip into the shift hanger.

I did make this tool from 5 feet of 3/4 inch PVC (schedule 40 is fine); that link states 1/2-inch PVC, but 3/4-inch PVC is what's needed. Use good-quality cable ties or wire to hold together.

I used this PVC tool to get the shift rod back into place just in front of the shift bushing; I greased the end of the shift rod, lined it up in the shift bushing, then pushed on the PVC tool to push the shift rod through a few inches, was quite easy. Then I greased more of the shift rod, pushed the shift rod rearward, repeated the process until the gearshift cup was in the hump recess. Then I cut away the retainers from the PVC tool and removed those and the PVC pipe.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: