Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

I got a call from a friend at the Houston Police Dept (Texas) about a VW Bus that they recovered that has a fake VIN number and the VIN number in engine bay was cut out in order to make room to install a Chevy small block engine.

If they can’t locate the actual owner then the entire Bus will be sent to the Car Crusher soon.

If I can locate the original owner that has proof it’s his/hers then they can return it. Proof such as photos of the bus, progress pics of the install, the actually cross member that was removed that still has the VIN plate on it etc would suffice.

There is thought that the bus may be from the Las Vegas area as another vehicle found with the bus was from Las Vegas and has been returned to its owner.

Do you recognize this bus? Do you know the owner? If so, have them contact me and I’ll forward them to the my contact at HPD here in Houston.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I got a call from a friend at the Houston Police Dept (Texas) about a VW Bus that they recovered that has a fake VIN number and the VIN number in engine bay was cut out in order to make room to install a Chevy small block engine.

how do you know it's a fake VIN? like is it for a 68 bus or something?

is the M plate still under the dash? should be on the drivers side pop riveted to the air duct

part of me wants to save it....the other part wants to see it crushed Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

is the M plate still under the dash? should be on the drivers side pop riveted to the air duct

Can you tell me more? I'm not a bus owner so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Would that have a vin on it? If so where can that be found?
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

The vin is on the dash. Lower right if you’re outside looking in.
M plate is behind the drivers seat.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

look behind the drivers seat.

Why are they going to crush it rather than auction it?
It looks like it's in good shape, other than the misguided surgery.

My 1968 Campmobile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

For the later years look on top of the fresh air duct by the drivers left knee. It’s pointing upwards and very hard to see unless you’re looking for it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
For the later years look on top of the fresh air duct by the drivers left knee. It’s pointing upwards and very hard to see unless you’re looking for it.

this^^^^

I am an early bay guy so I don't know when the switch was, but the m plate was moved from the seat partition to where aero says. total pain in the ass to see though

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

total pain in the ass to see though

Best to shoot a picture of it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

That's what I did - took several tries to get a picture where it was framed correctly and in focus, but it's really the only way without taking the dash apart.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

Not my bus, but thats my rack! I want it back.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

That is a pretty custom Bus, someone should know who owned it, or who did the custom job on it.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: Help Identify this STOLEN bus! Reply with quote

It might have an M plate on the duct, it's hard to nail down the exact year with all that custom stuff going on, 74+, but not 77 or newer because of the decklid hinges and steering wheel Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: