Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

It would be interesting and useful to have a list and comparison of all the stock engines ever offered in T3/Vanagons everywhere in the world. I currently don't know much on this topic - but so far this is what I have gleamed:

1980 - AIR COOLED GAS ENGINE > I assume these engines are almost identical to the late 70's BayBus engines?
Very strong, simple, reliable engines without any modern "digital" electronic components.

WBX GAS ENGINE ...from what I know these engines were the first to introduce "digital" electronic components.

1982 - 1,6D NA (CS) DIESEL ENGINE ...very reliable engine but low HP and not good in mountains

1984 - (EUROPE ONLY) 1,6TD (JX) ....same as CS engine but with turbo > therefore more power and better in mountains.

That's about all I know....
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

All are perfectly fine engines themselves, but none are particularly well suited for these large un-aerodynamic bricks.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

Good info here.

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=1

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
It would be interesting and useful to have a list and comparison of all the stock engines ever offered in T3/Vanagons everywhere in the world.

List of all factory-installed engines is on page 8: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTransSpecs.pdf .😊
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

I've had a manual trans Syncro and now an automatic - both stock WBX engines. I was also world wide powertrain planner for GM, so I've evaluated my share of engine/trans/diff/suspension combos from mild to wild. I find the WBX and auto a very logical and serviceable powertrain for the Vanagon for its vintage.

It could certainly use more power and better fuel economy, but weighing the cost of a conversion, that route's simply not even close to cost effective as an economy/money saving strategy.

It's worth mentioning that I have a tintop which weighed 3780 yesterday at the dump scale with me and a half tank of fuel, and probably 100lbs of gear aboard. Also worth mentioning that my powertrain is likely running very close to its original power output and operating parameters. I replaced some seals in the tranny, adjusted the bands and kickdown, and it has a new filter and fresh fluid. I rebuilt my engine and it has excellent compression, very strong oil pressure, and is responsive.

Anyway, don't discount the Vanagon's original engine if you're basing it on the performance and response of a 30 year old engine that's possibly lost 10% of its power across the power band and maybe more at full throttle. I have always felt that people would be much happier with a fresh powertrain, and if anyone wants to know what their Vanagon is "supposed" to feel, I'll let you take it for a spin if we're at the same event, etc.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

The best stock engine is the DJ 112hp WBX, with the best transmission manual AAP 5-speed or automatic NJ.

All others stock engines which are more powerful, Oettinger WBX-6 or Porsche LBX-6, are not available in large quantities. Cool
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

As far as the diesel options go, conventional wisdom this side of the pond [as in "something I read on the intarwebs before buying mine"] is that the 1,6TD JX engine is the best of the stock ones.

Although you may have different ideas about that on your side, seeing as very few of the JXs ended up in the US/Canada.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
As far as the diesel options go, conventional wisdom this side of the pond [as in "something I read on the intarwebs before buying mine"] is that the 1,6TD JX engine is the best of the stock ones.

Although you may have different ideas about that on your side, seeing as very few of the JXs ended up in the US/Canada.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, I have a JX in Czech.
I am currently looking for a van to have here in Canada, and to everyone's amazement I actually WANT one of those old 50HP 1,6D NA "CS" engines. The main reason is familiarity (my desire to avoid having to AGAIN study and learn another engine type). Next is simplicity and reliability... the 1,6D has no turbo which eliminated a very expensive item which can go bad and spoil all the fun. Next is that the low power will add longevity to your gearbox.
Finally I will mostly be living in it rather than driving it, and I don't care at all about driving slow...
Lastly, the purchase price for a van with a CS is going to be very much lower cuz nobody wants these engines.
...and ultimately I would likely eventually swap in a newer 1.9mTDI.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

Some 1.6TD JX engines did make it over and I have owned a couple and put them in vans here. It makes a reasonable alternative to a 1.9 WBX engine with a lot better fuel economy. I wouldn't care to live long term again with a 1.6NA as the power is too low at elevation and it is too smokey there as well. The JX is pretty sweet by comparison in those regards.

Ed, I don't think it should matter much about which engine if as you say you are planning for it to be a mostly stationary home. The 1.6NA CS engines are slow smokey obstacles to uphill traffic flow and loaded semis will desperately want to pass on the hills. Not very many left, for good reason. They didn't have long average lives, easily replaced with something better when they died. I have replaced many.

Mark

stuzbot wrote:
As far as the diesel options go, conventional wisdom this side of the pond is that the 1,6TD JX engine is the best of the stock ones.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

I recently drove up North of Vancouver to Squamish, and that's definitely not 1.6NA territory. My first T3 was one of those, but I wouldn't own one again, nor would I recommend them to anyone. I've owned lots of those engines in Rabbits and Dashers, but they aren't suited for the vans...at all.

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

I wonder how engine power would differ between:
1) a CS (1,6D NA)
2) a JX with a K24 turbo (the big one, as opposed to the small STOCK K14), and WITHOUT any LDA on the injection pump?
Question
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

Without an LDA, there's very little boost in power. An increase in turbo boost levels needs an increase in fueling in order to produce more power.

y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

It could certainly use more power and better fuel economy, but weighing the cost of a conversion, that route's simply not even close to cost effective as an economy/money saving strategy.

As always, good points, Doug. It'd be interesting to see total cost per mile for 100k miles for a wbx rebuild v. a subie or bostig conversion. Probably 25-35 cents per mile for the wbx compared to 30-40 cents per mile for a conversion (assuming DIY for both).

Regardless, I'm guessing Vanagons are not overwhelmingly economical over 100k miles compared to a similar vintage domestic van. But they are a whole lot of fun in the most wonderful camper van ever mass produced.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Without an LDA, there's very little boost in power. An increase in turbo boost levels needs an increase in fueling in order to produce more power.

...but I guess the turbo would allow for the fuel to be burned more efficiently than without.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: T3/Vanagon - all stock engine types > PROS & CONS Reply with quote

My van started out as a 2.0l air cooled and once that baked a valve on the highway in the summer heat (lead foot driver) I moved on.
I've ran a 1.6TD with both the K24 and K14

I don't live in a particularly mountainous region. and I would NOT recommend the K24 over the K14 at all.

I also don't recommend the 1.6NA in anything but a rabbit or my Jacobsen reel mower

the 1.6TD with K14 and air cooled transaxle was 'adequate' on my regions meager 'large' hills.

I've since gone to run a 1.8l JH (95hp) gas powered digifant jetta motor which was 'sufficient' to power the van but no powerhouse.

and now a 1.8T AEB (150hp) which starts to feel like a 2003 toyota.
chipped to (190hp) feels more like Zoom Zoom.. but I personally don't like to challenge my transaxle that much on my long range travel vehicle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: