Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of Complete 1Y swap?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

another question, because i cant leave well enough alone...

i have a line on a very clean mk4 tdi parts car for a too-cheap-to-pass up price, and i realize all the perils and hassle of swapping in a gen5 inline 4 at 50 degrees...
but as my van is currently equipped with a 1.9l 1Y, im curious what the value is of that complete setup to someone else?

im eyeing the FAS kit and reusing my existing (recently rebuilt) transmission, then i would be left with handing over nearly all of the 1Y and associated mounting bits as a complete package to someone.
any ballpark of what that might be worth?
engine condition and whatnot would of course be documented to the best of my ability beforehand, but just hypothetically what would someone pay for an NA 1.9l diesel full swap (engine, oil pan, carriers, etc)?

i checked the classifieds and didnt have much luck

a picture just for kicks...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

That should fit perfectly in my van...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

I'd say somewhere between $500 and $1000 for everything from the bellhousing back. Take a video of the engine running before you pull it. I picked up a Tiico conversion without seeing it run for $400, but everything was there. Unfortunately on that one, I spent a lot of time sorting the ECU wiring. Some got carried away with some wire cutters when they removed it and the ECU did not match any documentation I had on hand.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

awesome, thanks
luckily theres not a lot going on here ecu-wise as its a "one wire" motor, minus the glow plugs.

somewhat related - the mk4 im looking to pick up is an ALH, and ive poured over just about every ALH thread i can find... and it seems like most roads lead to FAS for the oil pan comparability.
how did you do your ALH swap - or do you have a thread/gallery i can look through?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

As with any used vehicle/engine, much of its value will be determined by mileage and general condition. Any documentation for this, as well as maintenance records, would be helpful.

The TDI is a nice setup!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

how did you do your ALH swap - or do you have a thread/gallery i can look through?

You didn't ask me, but here's my very own ALH install; it's also a one-wire job:

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

Oh how I wish I could get all of your vans and brains in one room to perfect my own swap someday....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

It would help a lot if I could drive it first but I'd be willing to pay $1500 or more for the complete decent running package. That assumes you were local to me and you are not.

Mark
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

thanks again guys.

to be clear, im still in the research phase of the ALH, so i havent pulled anything yet.
bought the van with a stack of receipts just over a week ago and cleaning things up, fixing some odds and ends the PO neglected, and slowly prepping for the swap. my hope is to pull the trigger in a month or two.

ill definitely provide video and all that prior to yanking the motor.
it runs/starts/drives really well with no smoke with the driving ive done with it so far. though admittedly thats not much driving up to this point. the engine looks really clean and hasnt run hot.

thanks for the pic zeitgiest, that looks clean!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

I know I keep harping on this but my 1Y engine exploded on a long road trip in a very inconvenient place. The tow truck alone was $350. The reason turned out to be defective machining at the Mexico factory where it was made, which is why it was such a bargain. Its not a deal breaker, but a buyer should know what to check on the engine.

And it wasn’t just me, others have had the same engine explode.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

how could one possibly check for that without taking the thing apart? and what specifically failed?
was it the same crank nose issues that the AAZ had?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like you probably have a genuine 1Y engine, not one of the later generic replacement long blocks that some people seem to have a problem with.

Mark

valvecovergasket wrote:
how could one possibly check for that without taking the thing apart? and what specifically failed?
was it the same crank nose issues that the AAZ had?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

Yes indeed, the defect only affected the Mexico 1Y. The problem lies in the machined angle of the camshaft cone the sprocket bolts onto, so it is not that hard to check. Read the whole story here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660056
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

Sorry no build thread on mine. Cameras still used film when I started mine. I reused the Diesel engine carrier bars modified and the vanagon diesel bell housing eventually clearanced for the TDI single mass flywheel and clutch. Everything else is custom one off fabrication. It is still flybywire. Was nervous about that in the beginning, but it has proved reliable and you get free cruise control.

Planning to do another one to the syncro conversion I am currently doing. The FAS kit looks pretty complete for someone looking to convert with all the headaches of fabricating custom parts.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

bringing this back up from the dead ...
ive listed nearly the whole swap in the classifieds if anyone is still looking for one of these. or for parts to put something else in their van. its a complete package minus the passenger side engine bracket.

i also have 1Z tdi intake and exhaust manifolds, used tdi turbos, and mk2 TD pumps for a mix/match of IDI parts.

anyway... in case its interesting to anyone!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354010

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Value of Complete 1Y swap? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Cameras still used film when I started mine.

Did you happen to take film photos at the time? I've posted digital photos I've taken of old film photographs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: