Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch/pressure plate advice needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

Need advice on clutch and pp for my Thing
Street car, almost daily driver.
Thanks in advance
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

daiken disk, kennedy stage 1 pp

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

subhuman wrote:
daiken disk, kennedy stage 1 pp

That's what I would use also.

The thing about "stock style" discs . . . better to avoid the type with the coil springs in the hub/center . . . heavier than rigid discs.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

KEP Stage 1 and Copperhead disc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

I found a Stage I and the CB Super Disc will hold 200 lb. ft. Torque to the wheels and 165 ft. lbs of torque checking with a torque wrench on the flywheel.

Your engine won’t come close to that unless you put a bunch of boost to it.
When I was testing the Daiken disk held less torque than the Super Disc.
YMMV.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

YMMV.

Unless CB Performance is showing the wrong photo . . . "1359 Clutch Disc - Super Disc - 200mm" . . . sure looks like it IS a Daiken 503a . . . Look closely . . . http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1359.htm
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I agree. Nothing beats the copperhead on the street, especially when paired with a Stage 1 PP. Engagement is smooth and the disk is very gentle on your flywheel and pressure plate, and it can hold a ton of power (150+ ft lbs on a STOCK PP)

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

+1 That’s what I’m using on a 2276

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

For me it’s to heavy and at full rev 7000 plus quick shift she no go in gear. For you maybe good.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

KEP stage 1 and copperhead ordered.
Thanks!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
clonebug wrote:

YMMV.

Unless CB Performance is showing the wrong photo . . . "1359 Clutch Disc - Super Disc - 200mm" . . . sure looks like it IS a Daiken 503a . . . Look closely . . . http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1359.htm

I have a Daiken 503A and tried it.....it held less than the CB Super Disc.

They look identical but don't perform the same. Shimmed and unshimmed....

Here is the page in my build where I have test results.......YMMV

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936&start=2250

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
motox166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

maui wrote:
For me it’s to heavy and at full rev 7000 plus quick shift she no go in gear. For you maybe good.

So what's good for 7000+ rpm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

As a trans builder that understands how synchros work, I would stay away from a copper head disk. The op should just get a stage 1 and a stock unsprung disk as was first mentioned.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

Stage 2 HD daiken works for 7000 revs.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

maui wrote:
Stage 2 HD daiken works for 7000 revs.
'Stage 2 can be hard on the left leg in traffic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

What is the difference between the Daiken b503a and b503b clutch discs and there are there any visible differences?

I have a Daiken disc in one of my engines and I believe it is the b503b, but I am not sure. I have another higher HP engine and have used a Copperhead in the past, but Scott's comments about the synchros and the weight of that disc have made me think twice.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

For me on Maui, traffic not a problem.
Mangala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
What is the difference between the Daiken b503a and b503b clutch discs and there are there any visible differences?

I have a Daiken disc in one of my engines and I believe it is the b503b, but I am not sure. I have another higher HP engine and have used a Copperhead in the past, but Scott's comments about the synchros and the weight of that disc have made me think twice.

I bought disc from below site, they mentioned the disc is CB performance, But when I received the item, it is Daiken B503A with other number also there 6F21A. SO is this the CB performance Super clutch disc or something else? Some guys here mention Super disc is better than B503A. Are they mean copper head disc?

(https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Gearbox_-P-_Clutch_Products~Clutch~Clutch_Discs~200mm/AC1411359/200mm_Super_Clutch_Disc.html)
Mangala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
I found a Stage I and the CB Super Disc will hold 200 lb. ft. Torque to the wheels and 165 ft. lbs of torque checking with a torque wrench on the flywheel.

Your engine won’t come close to that unless you put a bunch of boost to it.
YMMV.

Are you mentioning copper head disc or super clutch disc? CB performance super clutch disc seems to be Daiken B503A. I bought it from coolairvw UK and received Daiken B503A. Even CB performance page also displayed the same disc? So Daiken B503A is more suits for street use than copper head?
Mangala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/pressure plate advice needed Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
As a trans builder that understands how synchros work, I would stay away from a copper head disk. The op should just get a stage 1 and a stock unsprung disk as was first mentioned.

Hi Scott,

What is your opinion, Is Daiken B503A is good enough for occasionally street race? Is there any difference between CB performance Super clutch disc and Daiken B503A? Or are these disc s are same but differs only by numbers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: