Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Telemarketers and attitude
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

Yes, there is another thread for telemarketers in general, mods feel free to move or merge. Over the past several months I've had a huge increase in robocalls on my cell for some insurance thing or other services. Sometimes, up to 7 times a day, all from different area codes and states. Sometimes, however, it's the same area code AND spoofing a known number - like a doctors office that I had yesterday. Anyway, as a self-employed person, each call could be important, so I should look at the phone to see who it is.
In my job, I often have to concentrate on what I'm doing because I'm holding a sharp instrument or have my hands full of material (sign crafting) so any distraction can get me off my game. Last night after the last call, I said to my wife 'the next call that I can answer personally, I'm really going to let the caller have it', so which she said - have fun. As I love messing with spam callers and email.
In short, a call came in this afternoon so I answered and didn't say a word - I wanted to see if it was a robocall or a telemarketer. To which it was the latter (and names changed to protect the innocent or not so innocent). A pause and someone said 'Is this Rick?'.. Yes, who's this? 'This is Bob from Hilton' (now, we had stayed at several Hiltons last month on a trip). What do you want, Bob? I'm working and busy... and a tone that suggested I did not want to be disturbed. A pause later and Bob said 'you don't sound like a very nice guy, so I'm going to hang up - you have a nice day'. To which I answered 'thanks, and take me off your calling list'.
So.. my lovely wife says (she works in the next room to me and can hear everything) 'you were a bit rough on that guy. He probably wanted to know how our stay was'.

Ok, yes I was. I don't want to be disturbed. She says I have (or can have) a really crap attitude towards people just doing their job. My response is - send me an email if you want a surveyed opinion. Don't bother me on a cell phone. I'm old school - I feel cell phones should be for emergency use only.. and yes, I have a land line. Several, in fact. And I also know that's not the way of the world now, that everyone uses cell phones in a day to day environment.

So.. curmudgeons and those practicing... attitudes towards actual telemarketers? Be kind and hang up, or give attitude?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

why even bother answering?
if a number isn't in my known contact list, i rarely answer.
if it's someone trying to get in touch with me they can leave a message.
if a message, i'll call back when i am available.
if no message, screw them.

Last edited by hazetguy on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

Probably a third party trying to verify your number is valid, so he can sell it to the next telemarketer.

It is very rare that a hotel will call a client. There is the famous story (probably a myth) about a hotel calling to thank a couple for staying. The wife answers the call, and the clerk thanks her and her husband for their stay... but the husband was not there with his wife, so the conversation got... interesting. So it just doesn't happen over the risk of this.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

again, why even bother answering a number you don't recognize?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I never do anymore. They can leave a message. 90% don't. I'm on the do not call list but that is meaningless nowadays.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

You don't have to answer it. Unless you're expecting a call that you won the Irish Lottery.

For example, When i see a call from the same 3 digit exchange as my number, I know it's a fake.

I also have a different ringtones for calls received from people in my contacts and ones that are not.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

Giving them attitude will cause some to give your company a negative review as a "fuck you". I have started telling the person asking for me that "HE's not here at the moment, is there something that I can help you with?" The solicitors will automatically say "I'll call back later.", at which point, you block their number.

Wait until you get the onslaught of asshole credit card processing solicitors, they will hang up before you get out the obligatory "take me o..." then call back 1/2 hour later. I had three of these companies tag-teaming me 7-9 times a day, EACH.

I finally got so pissed off with them that I recorded each #, the date & time of each call & then agreed to meet with one of their representatives. When they come in, they immediately ask to see your bank statement so that they can "Give you their competitive rate", at which point I ask them for their ID & business card for proof of who they are. Once I have their ID & business card in the copier, I present them with the call log & photo proof of their call center's harassment & inform them that if I got another call from their company, I would start by suing them for $1,000,000 & then their company for another $10,000,000 for violating FCC laws.

I've had to do that to four separate companies & as soon as one of their reps have pissed away their time, airfare, & car rental, I have never been contacted again.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

As a small business owner, you have to answer the call or potentially lose the customer.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

As a small business owner, you have to answer the call or potentially lose the customer.

The OP is not a business owner. It's his personal phone.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I am a business owner, Glenn, and all my clients have my cell number. I get a lot of referrals from them and they almost always hand out my cell instead of the office number. I dont know why.. just a sign of the times. I've seen that 'nomoribo' thing... would like to talk with someone who actually uses it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I wonder how that Nomorobo does with the spoofed local numbers I've been getting calling me lately? Seems Visa/Mastercard security needs some information ASAP!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder how that Nomorobo does with the spoofed local numbers I've been getting calling me lately? Seems Visa/Mastercard security needs some information ASAP!

I would "guess" that if you get a robo call, you report it and it's added to a shared database.

I got a call from social security telling me I need to change my password. They wanted my full name and SSN. I told them i was 13 and would have to ask my dad what a SSN is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I recently got one from a power company “representative” that told me that my power was going to be cut off & I should pay in prepaid Walmart gift cards.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
again, why even bother answering a number you don't recognize?

Generally, I don't. But a local area code and/or exchange may possibly be a client I've been waiting to hear from. Or a new client from the aforementioned referrals. Yes, I can let them go to voicemail if need be (and do)... I have over 30 spam phone numbers blocked on my Android - which only blocks the phone from ringing... the spam numbers will still leave an automated message. Extremely annoying..
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I guess I'm 20th Century Jon. All land line (yeah, I got one) calls go to VM. My cell phone, I'm too lazy to set up the VM. If I don't pick up, text or email me. Otherwise, leave me alone.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I would "guess" that if you get a robo call, you report it and it's added to a shared database.

I got a call from social security telling me I need to change my password. They wanted my full name and SSN. I told them i was 13 and would have to ask my dad what a SSN is.

That's not really fair to some of the locals who's numbers they rob, I've Googled a few and they belong to legitimate local business' or people. Confused

In Canada we often get a call from the CRA (federal tax dept), the guy sounds just like Apu from the Simpsons and is threatening immediate arrest if we don't pay up now, I ask for "service en français s'il vous plait", they go silent and hang up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!

Last edited by busdaddy on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
in a thick brown accent

WTF???

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
in a thick brown accent

WTF???

Sorry, South Asian, AKA East Indian, around here many of them call themselves brown people (not black, not white). Most of the scammers call centers are in India.

Слава Україні!
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

I made the mistake of answering these calls once. It was about my credit card so I decided to f!@# with him. He told me what I needed to do. Put my phone in my right hand, reach behind me, and shove it up my ass. Laughing I started laughing and me called me a mo!@$%f*&%#@. I started laughing harder and he hung up on me.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Telemarketers and attitude Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Glenn wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
in a thick brown accent

WTF???

Sorry, South Asian, AKA East Indian, around here many of them call themselves brown people (not black, not white). Most of the scammers call centers are in India.

Apparently the hyper-sensitive PC crowd hasn't over-run Canada yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: