Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tall shifter for 65
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisdiehl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

I can't weld. Does anyone make and sell tall shifters that will fit in a 65 beetle? About the height to the top of the dash...maybe a little shorter.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

Well, Type 2's had taller shift levers, you might have a look at those

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

A stock shifter (since you say you don't weld)? You're going to need a short throw kit too. I'd drop off two stock shifters, instructions and a dozen donuts at the local trade school or welding shop. A new long one will be done by noon.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

Definitely going to need short throw kit. I just did this in mine. Any local welder can do it but be prepared to "adjust" the bends once in the car. A torch will heat it so you can easily tweak it once installed. I used the empi kit https://www.v-dubstore.com/product-p/e4500.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

I added an extension to mine. Cost a few bucks and works a charm.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I added an extension to mine. Cost a few bucks and works a charm.
Where can I find that extension? The shape would be perfect in my beach buggy and it looks to be for the small 7mm thread shifter.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

There are several styles (and thread sizes), so google "beetle shifter extension" and pick your poison.
stinkbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

MMW wrote:
Definitely going to need short throw kit. I just did this in mine. Any local welder can do it but be prepared to "adjust" the bends once in the car. A torch will heat it so you can easily tweak it once installed. I used the empi kit https://www.v-dubstore.com/product-p/e4500.htm

any issue with the shifter moving around, popping out of gear or flopping around while in gear and driving down the road?
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tall shifter for 65 Reply with quote

Years ago I ordered an extension from some outfit for my 65 T1. When I opened the package there was an offset extension for a T2 in the bag. I was bummed for a bit but installed it anyway. Today so many years later I love the slight dogleg towards me with just the right amount of rise to make shifting so much more comfortable. Don’t be afraid of the T2 extension. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: