Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accessory Switch options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations for accessory switches that are relatively well built, blend in well with the Vanagon interior and come in a variety of throws/poles/mechanisms?

I'd want the majority of my switches to have a similar look and be clearly labeled.

It seems like this style of switch comes in the widest variety of options and labels, but style wise I'm not a fan of the huge switches and LED lighting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm leaning towards simple toggle switches in this style, but I can't seem to find a good source of custom label plates.

There's a few places that'll laser print a simple label rings:

but I've yet to find one that can create 3-way switch labels, use icons, or can name the switch as well as its positions (e.g. 'Cabin Lights' 'On/Off'):

Some of the switches I need include:

Courtesy Lights - On/Off/On (Door)
    Power Windows - On (Up)/Off/On (Down) Momentary
    Heated Seats - High/Low/Off (4 wire)
    Stereo - On/Off (Auto; Key-In power overrides Off)
    Voltmeter Gauges (DPST On/Off - to prevent battery drain)
    Reading Light (On/Off with dimmer)

Any recommendations?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

You are going in an interesting direction, one not many of us have gone.

Most often when auxiliary switches are needed, we repurpose rear window defogger switches or similar.

I used clear P-Touch label tape with white letters to label the repurposed switch, it looks almost factory.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Most often when auxiliary switches are needed, we repurpose rear window defogger switches or similar.

I used clear P-Touch label tape with white letters to label the repurposed switch, it looks almost factory.

Dave

Mind posting a pic or two for reference sake? I’d like to see why you mean on the labeling Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Mind posting a pic or two for reference sake? I’d like to see why you mean on the labeling Smile

Here is a poor photo.......
headlight switch label on left (hmmmm a little crooked! Embarassed ) and I repurposed a defroster switch to shut off my A/C compressor, it is the right lower switch.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Are you planning on having them mounted on the dash area or in the Westy cabinetry? The previous owner put in a toggle switch panel and I didn't feel it was too safe. I ordered this one from Amazon and put it in it's place. It fits in on the side of the cabinet.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Nick83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I wish I could, but I'm betting I cant get 8 of them in the dash alone Wink

The heated seats and windows both came with switches, I just hate to clutter my new dash with with an assortment of round and square switches. I'm thinking maybe I could fit a row of similar switches along the top of the lower air box/heater vent cover.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Nick83 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

The heated seats and windows both came with switches, I just hate to clutter my new dash with with an assortment of round and square switches. I'm thinking maybe I could fit a row of similar switches along the top of the lower air box/heater vent cover.

This seems to work. Look to the end of the page. If you got some time read the whole post. Very nice build. I think you'll like the color.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=560
Nick83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Are you planning on having them mounted on the dash area or in the Westy cabinetry? The previous owner put in a toggle switch panel and I didn't feel it was too safe. I ordered this one from Amazon and put it in it's place. It fits in on the side of the cabinet.

That does fit shockingly well!

As I said above, 8 switches in the dash: L & R Windows, L & R Seat heaters, Two light switches for this mod, Stereo power and voltmeter gauge power.

Then in the rear, two light switches (above mod), which would be best near the door/hatch. Otherwise I'm considering adding switches for the fan, fridge, and propex to either the stove faceplate or where you added that panel. They don't have to look anything like the dash switches as long as they look good. I'd probably have to make my own faceplate, since I don't want to totally block that vent with the fridge/propex in the cabinet.
Nick83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

This seems to work. Look to the end of the page. If you got some time read the whole post. Very nice build. I think you'll like the color.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=560

Haha, you're right I do... I'm surprised I didn't find that build while looking for photos of green paint jobs a while back. I might have to steal that gauge cluster mod from them.

Switch wise, I like it, though I'd probably go non-lighted for the aux powered stuff. Of course, just to complicate things, I'm installing the Small Car Performance AC system, and their faceplate occupies that space and then some.

I'm actually thinking the lower lip of the dash, not the heater trim, might be a good location for a row of toggles.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Nick83 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Why dont you use original power window switches in the doors?

You can also find many different switches from other VW/Audi cars from that same period in a similar design as original Vanagon switches.

And this is what I have done when I installed heated Recaro seats. I took the switch from a mid 80's Audi 100 (thats a 5000 in the US I think). They have a dual seat heater switch quite similar to the original Vanagon drivers only seat heater switch.

And for the passenger to be able to reach it I mounted it next to the radio, in a frame from an early Vanagon fader control.

Vanagon seat heater (drivers seat only):

Audi dual switch in Vanagon dash:

Nick83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

Why dont you use original power window switches in the doors?

You can also find many different switches from other VW/Audi cars from that same period in a similar design as original Vanagon switches.

I've got the GoWesty manual to power conversion windows, so there weren't original switches. I'd put them in the door anyway except the only feasible stock location is in a bad place for the panel design.

I do like the heated seat dials though... I'll have to look into those.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

The original power window switches with corresponding surrounds are available new from several sources:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/control-panel-electric-window-switch-drivers-side-255959855b

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/control-panel-ele...321959855d

I have also searched for a three position interior light switch and have found several:

Saab:

Mercedes:

Citroen:

The original Taxi light switch from a VW Eurovan T4:

But none of these are ideal for a recessed location in the dash.

Maybe a row of VW dual front/rear fog light switches (with modified symbols) could be used:

I like the symbol on this, but I think it is only a two way switch:

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessory Switch options Reply with quote

Here is what I did:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ght=[/url]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: