Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

1983.5 1.9L 4-speed

It has been about 2 weeks since a ~800 mile road trip in my van. Last minute, a friend wants to campout. So this morning I rush to get everything thrown in the van to camp tonight. It's about 32 degree F out. On the way to work I usually pull this big hill at ~40-45 mph in 3rd. I did not have that power. I was pulling 25-30 in 2nd. After the hill I notice I'm not even pulling in 4th.

I pull over. Nothing on the dipstick. I add a full quart to get the oil at the lower half at the dipstick. I drive the rest of the way to work babying it.

I know I messed up. The whole 800 mile trip I was monitoring oil level whenever I filled up.

I'm going to drive it at lunch. It'll be around 57'F then. Second gear has been hard for me to find when cold. Relativity new RedLine oil in the trans.

I wonder if I caused permanent damage
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

I doubt you did any damage.

Did the oil light come on or gauge plummet?

A quart low is not a cause for power loss.
Dirty air filter, bad plug wires, water in gas, dirty plugs, malfunctioning fuel injection components but not a quart of oil.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

No the oil light did not come on.

One thing on the trip that did happen is that my fuel pump was making some noise. My aftermarket fuel pump is about 3 years old. Original fuel pressure regulator.

Spark plugs are fairly new. Just replaced expansion tank gaskets.

2015-
Spark plug wires (gowesty)
Gas tank reseal

What gauge are you talking about plummeting?

Compression test a month ago showed 130, 130, 150, 150
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

oil pressure gauge if you have one, Brandon.

Did it get any better when things warmed up?

When it wasn't "pulling," were you flooring it and not getting the power you'd expect?

When things on the van ain't going right, I always remind myself of the first words of wisdom for traversing the galaxy: Don't Panic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Don't_Panic
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

No oil pressure gauge. I'm going to pick one up now. Maybe a RPM gauge too.

I'm usually warmed up before that hill. I just babied the hell out of it after I put the quart of oil in.

And yes. I would floor it and not get any response like I expected.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Vacuum leaks can be worse when cold, did you build the smoke machine we talked about? Although I don't think that would cause power loss under load, not really an expert on that.

I'd check that noisy fuel pump and injectors, I think I remember that you have aftermarket, but not fancy marco 24k gold injectors, installed.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

This happened to me recently. Sudden loss of power but idled fine. This is what I found when I removed the cat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

No I haven't made the smoke machine yet, Mike. Looks like that's what I'm getting into this weekend.

Dave, I've never took off a cat before. What's going on there, a behive in your cat? I'm running the original cat with GoWesty 2.1 exhaust.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

^^^easy to check, too. smart. (referring to dobryan's suggestion)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Cats have a honeycomb of ceramic along with some precious metals.

When theynkver heats or get clogged they fall apart and get blown out, not only broken in the cat housing but the bits go into the main muffler clogging uo that.

Some who live in non emission testing areas, simply break out the ceramic and run a hollow cat rather than spring for a new unit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

I'll check my cat out. Last I checked I had very loose bolts at the 'entrance' side of the cat. I have an exhaust bolt kit I bought but never got to replacing the bolts/nuts.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

metoo

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575525&highlight=dead+cat

Mark

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'll check my cat out. Last I checked I had very loose bolts at the 'entrance' side of the cat. I have an exhaust bolt kit I bought but never got to replacing the bolts/nuts.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

If you remember what you exhaust sound was before - you can sometimes diagnose a clogged cat by just listening.

Hopefully you will choose to install a new one if needed - air breathers among us would prefer you not just punch out the insides of the old unit.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Yeah, it's something else - a quart low is not going to damage things in real time.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Brandon- again, don't panic. Check the cat and then go through the digijet troubleshooting pro manual procedures. You'll figure it out.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and everyone for all their suggestions. Not panicking. I'd like to keep the engine in my life. I went ahead and bought the injectors as I thought it would be a good investment.

I'll keep you guys posted about how it reacts after lunch
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

cold effects the grounds well the voltage and resistance at connections.
the engine may have been out of sync with what it thought temps and load were..

loose bolts ahead of the catalytic can burn them up,
can confuse the )2 if leaks upstream of the O2 sensor.
a leak doesn't need to sound loud OUT to suck clean air IN.

and as mentioned the cold has bad effects on the intake seals and rubber S boot.. take it off and make sure it flexes and doesn't shine light from inside to out.. ie. take it to a dark room and put a bright light inside while you flex it..

a smoke test may not show a almost failing rubber boot.. especially as temps vary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Do you let your van warm up at all?

Lots of people seem to fire it up and drive but my van gets garbage power until around when the coolant needle starts to move. Probably indicative of some other problem.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

Agreed with others that low oil level is unlikely to cause of the problem you describe.

But... if you just finished an 800 miles trip where you were monitoring oil at every stop (and I assume keeping things at the right level), how did you end up more than a quart low (you say you added a quart just to get to lower half of dip stick) when you kicked off this current trip? A quart+ is a lot to leak/burn/whatever, just wondering if you know where it is going. For example if that is all being burnt off then you have a lot of oil going through your catalytic converter which can lead to failure so it could be that the oil is, in a circuitous way, causing the issue.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power on the way to work -> was down a quart Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Agreed with others that low oil level is unlikely to cause of the problem you describe.

But... if you just finished an 800 miles trip where you were monitoring oil at every stop (and I assume keeping things at the right level), how did you end up more than a quart low (you say you added a quart just to get to lower half of dip stick) when you kicked off this current trip? A quart+ is a lot to leak/burn/whatever, just wondering if you know where it is going. For example if that is all being burnt off then you have a lot of oil going through your catalytic converter which can lead to failure so it could be that the oil is, in a circuitous way, causing the issue.

I'm not sure the answer to this question. The last gas station I stopped at was 250 miles away. I know for a fact that I checked the oil because I bragged to my friend that I was able to clean windshield, gas up, and check oil in the time he bought burgers for us inside.

So I don't know how this happened. The van is garage kept and I'm not leaking any.

I don't let the van warm up as I hear a lot of people say get in and drive.

I took the van out for lunch and put it on the interstate. It seems my power is back. So this issue only happens when its cold. I'm running synthetic 15w50.

Possible suspects:
Catalytic converter
Air flow meter
Throttle body
Injectors (Marcos on the way)
S-Boot (last checked OK)

Last year I took the whole top plenum off. Replaced all vacuum hoses except the S-Boot as it checked out okay. Intake gaskets replaced too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: