Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is This Rare Elated Feeling?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

I went out to do a job on the van today, swearing and gritting my teeth in anticipation of an afternoon of frustration and grazed knuckles and....

...I actually finished it in about half an hour and with a minimum of fuss!

I'm not sure if I can handle this rare feeling of elation. I'm used to thinking "I've got an hour before dinner. I'll just do this..." and then spending the next three days cursing everyone who's ever worked for VW as I try to wrestle with some piece of the van whose location and bolt distribution seems to have been specifically designed to make it impossible to get near with any tool that actually exists in our sector of the galaxy.

Today's job was replacing the old and knackered Air Intake Ducts with some new piping. My anticipation of another day of frustration due to the fact that, of course, VW decided to make the ducting oval in cross-section and it is impossible to find oval cross-sectioned ducting.

So, out I went with my new circular cross section ducting and then spent 10 mins or so kneeling on it to squish it a bit flatter. Then shoved it down inside the rear pillar where, for some accountable reason, it failed to get stuck... or catch on some fiendishly placed piece of metal... or tear on some jagged edge... and, within about 20 mins, I'd secured either end to snorkel head and air filter housing, changed the air filter, stuck everything back together again and "the job..." [as my old art teacher used to say] "was a good 'un"

For viewers of a UK disposition and for future reference, this was the tubing I bought:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I could probably have got away with 1 meter length but I wanted a bit extra to make it easier to lift the air filter housing out and undo the connectors without having to fiddle about unsighted, in future. I ended up using about 1 1/2 meters.

The 80mm inner diameter was just about right to fit tightly over the fittings at either end and the inner wire springy enough to have some give but not too springy that it wouldn't stay oval-shaped after I squashed it.

New tube with some initial squashage at one end. It needed a bit more than this, as it turned out

Crappy old knackered tube. Barely reached halfway up inside the pillar and was falling to bits and shedding all kinds of crap into the air filter housing.

...and held in place at the filter end with gaffer Tape. Classy!

New tube fitted, with a bit of self-amalgamating rubber tape to ensure a good seal

And, while we're at it, a clean out of the air filter housing and a new air filter

My metal boy should be able to breathe more easily now. I'm surprised he could suck in any air at all with that old junk in place!
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

Fantastic post, Congrats on saving some time (for once, if me Laughing ).

PS -- Know if you load it up for a trip you'll have a "Heavy Metal Boy," which of course changes everything and demands a drive to the barber for a fluorescent Mohawk.

Rock On, Beast. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
What is This Rare Elated Feeling?

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

x2... but enjoy it while it lasts...

Link

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

Neat!

You've just been deceived. This peaceful, easy feeling... is bait. You are now motivated to continue the war from this singular battle won, and you will be punished roundly for having a good experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

I'm still thinking Mohawk here........ Pa-leeease be sure it matches the van for the extra touch of class that will bring.

The peaceful, easy feeling is about 3:15 to fit into the American Top 40 requirements.

Please play at 20 rpm to extend the bliss another couple minutes, then throw this on to re-confront Truth, pull out the wrenches, and get to it, Man:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2kBG5dcVtU

— Colin Chapman
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

I opened this assuming it was another thread about Canada and legal weed. So disappointing...

(that the thread isn't about that).

Glad your mechanics worked out, though.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I opened this assuming it was another thread about Canada and legal weed. So disappointing...

I thought that was in the new 'where did TK go" thread...

I've got a side note too, tho... When I went out to my parts rig yesterday, knowing full well that I would be digging into a mouse infested bus that had been sitting an unknown time before coming to my place, I was saying to myself, "I know this is futile, and I will get all the way done and find out the part I want is junk" as did happen, I was nearly at the same point of Zen. Took about 20 minutes, didn't break anything, didn't get any cuts that would get infected by whatever the local rodents carry, etc. and was like, okay, I tried. Now I get to spend money on new. And even then I was okay with the result.. Just gotta be patient, I guess.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

I had the opposite experience the other day.

My Oil Cooler Oring is four years old. It was an after market seal as well.

I went to VW, paid $8 for a new "latest technology" seal and thought I'd slap it on there!

It is getting colder and massive oil loss in Winter isn't high on my list of good things!

I Removed the filter, let the cooler drain out.
Loosened the nut, let the cooler drain out.
Got out my internal pipe wrench, it didn't budge!
Pulled a little harder and SNAP!!!!! The wrench literally broke inside the pipe!

Crap!

Went out to the spare engine and got off the nut so I could double nut the pipe and remove it.
For the life of me I couldn't get the two nuts tight enough to back out the pipe!

I went out to the spare engine and double nutted the pipe knowing that I'd bu using vise grips to get that darn pipe out and I wanted a good one in my hand to install after I did.
This pipe removal went well!

I had the vice grips in hand and it suddenly occured to me that I have a selection of Irwin shouldered broken fastener remover tools that go quite large.

Found the blue plastic box, opened it up and bingo! A perfect fit inside the pipe!

I tapped it in, put a wrench on it and it turned right out!

I then had to find all the broken tool bits and account for every chip, don't want to leave metal residue inside the oil galley, a magnet made simple work of this task.

I slipped on the new Oring after greasing it up and Double nutted the pipe then spun in in.

Put on the single nut and tightened it as 10c says to.

It went together well but this 30 minute job took an hour and a half and I had drawn blood in the process!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I had the opposite experience the other day.

My Oil Cooler Oring is four years old. It was an after market seal as well.

I went to VW, paid $8 for a new "latest technology" seal and thought I'd slap it on there!

It is getting colder and massive oil loss in Winter isn't high on my list of good things!

I Removed the filter, let the cooler drain out.
Loosened the nut, let the cooler drain out.
Got out my internal pipe wrench, it didn't budge!
Pulled a little harder and SNAP!!!!! The wrench literally broke inside the pipe!

Crap!

Went out to the spare engine and got off the nut so I could double nut the pipe and remove it.
For the life of me I couldn't get the two nuts tight enough to back out the pipe!

I went out to the spare engine and double nutted the pipe knowing that I'd bu using vise grips to get that darn pipe out and I wanted a good one in my hand to install after I did.
This pipe removal went well!

I had the vice grips in hand and it suddenly occured to me that I have a selection of Irwin shouldered broken fastener remover tools that go quite large.

Found the blue plastic box, opened it up and bingo! A perfect fit inside the pipe!

I tapped it in, put a wrench on it and it turned right out!

I then had to find all the broken tool bits and account for every chip, don't want to leave metal residue inside the oil galley, a magnet made simple work of this task.

I slipped on the new Oring after greasing it up and Double nutted the pipe then spun in in.

Put on the single nut and tightened it as 10c says to.

It went together well but this 30 minute job took an hour and a half and I had drawn blood in the process!

Dave

I think OP is trolling us. Doesn't happen.

Dave's post here describes the best case scenario for me. One day, no extra trip for more parts, no trip to HF for some tool I'll use only once, and - a positive outcome. Now that's a complete success in my book.

Tonight I went out to replace the washer motor in my rescued Westy. Replacement motor in hand. Check. Electric connectors. Check. Marine shrink wrap. Check. Washer fluid. Check. Crawl under there and. Git r done.

Mmmm... Seems two out of three tabs on the washer bottle are busted off. Well, I can get some metal straps tomorrow, tonight I'll use a small bungee and still git r done.

Cleaned, mounted, new motor, fresh electric connections, filled with winter fluid... Let's wash a window!

Climb in, key on pull the wiper lever and.... And.... And...

Mmmmm... Seems prior owner snipped the water line about 6 inches up from the bottle and two inches down from the dashboard. Water is spraying all over the inside of the grill and pouring down the nose. I have clean light sockets now but sheesh, wtf.

Ok. Gather the mind and heart. I'm grateful there is hose stickig 2 inches down into the nose cavity so I don't have to pull the dash. Crawl under there, take out the stupid bungee mess keep the bottle upright to save the fluid (it's a personal challenge at this point) and set it in the van again.

Tomorrow I go to Napa for some hose and connectors then to Home Depot for some kind of metal straps. Tomorrow I will have clean glass.

So... tomorrow after I finish todays washer project...

I will install my shifter bushings... in ONE day! That will be awesome.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...Got out my internal pipe wrench...and SNAP!!!!! The wrench literally broke inside the pipe...

Another vote for small pipe (monkey) wrench on the outside of the oil cooler nipple...

Wink

- Dave

PS: Additional props for solid, one-piece internal wrench/remover/nut-buster/Torx-55 bit(s)...

Rolling Eyes Cool Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is This Rare Elated Feeling? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I had the opposite experience the other day....

Dave

I think OP is trolling us. Doesn't happen.

Dave's post here describes the best case scenario for me...

Tomorrow I go to Napa for some hose and connectors then to Home Depot for some kind of metal straps. Tomorrow I will have clean glass.

So... tomorrow after I finish todays washer project...

I will install my shifter bushings... in ONE day! That will be awesome.

I hereby eat my words. OP was right... it does happen. And it happened to me today!

I finished my washer motor job, complete with a nifty fabrication with gas tank strap material and fully adjusted trick new three nozel - nozels.

Then I launched on the shifter bushing replacement (my tank is already dropped so now is the time).

It went without a hitch! Fully installed, greased, still in adjustment and tight as a drum.

And even with interruption from a freind picking up an old Westy roof clip (another story all together) I had time to spare.

It did storm a bit... and I did get hailled on. Yes, HAIL!

But I would not stop. It was the perfect game. And unlike Caddy Shack, I did not get struck by lightning.

Its time to take the minion to a halloween party. Life is good.

Later vanners.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: