Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power steering issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Power steering issue Reply with quote

Months ago I put power steering fluid in the reservoir..I guess a mistake...turns out I had a leak up front at the steering rack.. I have lived without the PS working since then. I am now in a position to fix this mess. I guess I need to replace the seals...big project? Local auto parts store said there are 50 seals in the kit? Do they all get replaced? Also...does this mean the pump is shot....I put fluid in today and it works....but it whines when I turn the wheels.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

There is a "How-to" thread on rebuilding the PS rack. I'm sure someone will provide the link.

I've rebuilt two racks this year with 100% success. I purchased the Gates Kit from RockAuto ... less than $40.00 shipped.

This is how I did it.

Removal
1. Van up on jack stands (front and back)
2. Removed spare tire, clam shell and other bits. Makes it much, much easier to access the steering joint that has to be removed over by the left bottom corner of the of the radiator.
3. Removed the fuel tank, but not necessary (did other work while off).
4. Pressure washed the PS rack which makes the job much cleaner.

Then with a good work bench, table, etc., methodically disassemble the unit. The How-To Thread explains how and the necessary tools. The breather tube does not have to be removed.... in fact, you may damage it while attempting to remove it. Those O-rings at the elbows of the breathing tube will probably never leak.... I skipped those due to the fear of damaging them or the tube.

The five (or is it four) Teflon O-rings that go on the central unit (my term) will be the greatest challenge. I wrapped them with masking tape, then used hose clamps to flatten them into the grooves.... after about 15 minutes, I quickly removed the clamps and tape, then inserted the unit into the lubed housing.... no problems.

Move forward only after studying the How-To ....

Hope this encourages you to tackle the job. Be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

PS: The Vanagon PS system requires ATF (NOT power steering fluid) for proper operation.
Feel free to drain fluid & replace PS filter before refilling...probably never been done before... Cool

Yeah...don't ask me why... I wasn't involved in the design... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
PS: The Vanagon PS system requires ATF (NOT power steering fluid) for proper operation.
Feel free to drain fluid & replace PS filter before refilling...probably never been done before... Cool

Yeah...don't ask me why... I wasn't involved in the design... Wink

- Dave

Good point!

Apparently it's a pump thing with PS fluid vs ATF. The PS system on my 84 is operated by the TDI PS pump. So, I've always used PS fluid without issue. But, when I did the re-seal/rebuild on my 89, I used PS fluid ... big mistake! It took about three qts of ATF to flush out the PS fluid.... it wanted to foam really bad.

So, yeah, if the OPs system is not leaking and he's been using PS fluid, as suggested, flush it out with ATF .. no damage to the pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

Thanks....ordering parts from Gowesty. Seemed reasonable and they everything....seals, boots,filter
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

billclimbs wrote:
Thanks....ordering parts from Gowesty. Seemed reasonable and they everything....seals, boots,filter

Does the Gowesty kit have the 5 Teflon O-rings?

Do a quick look at the package and compare with an exploded view of the Gates at Rockauto... appears to be a difference. They are light blue in color.

Ah, I see the difference .... not a complete rebuild kit, just a reseal! Hmm, well, not replacing those 5 Teflon seals will certainly make the job less nerve-racking. I honestly questioned the need to replace them when I was doing my rebuilds as the old ones looked fine and any leak would be internal causing no problems.
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

So...that kit is OK? They dont have a filter tho. I'll have to find that somewhere else.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

billclimbs wrote:
So...that kit is OK? They dont have a filter tho. I'll have to find that somewhere else.

Yeah, the GoWesty kit will be fine.

I never replaced the filter. I cleaned it, but at the moment I cannot really remember how or what I used.

Reminder, find the How To thread and read-up before delving into this job.

Here's the link to ALIKA T3's Thread on how he rebuilt his PS Rack.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620480&highlight=
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

I am just in the process of replacing the steering rack myself. It went from leaking a little to leaking a lot in two hours!

I attempted the rebuild but the corrosion on the unit is just too much for success. It may be original so 32 years on the East Coast of Canada is a good life...

Hope to have my replacement this week and back on the road asap.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

Finally getting started on the project and already having difficulty with removing the nut on both sides that hold the tie rods....uhgg. I'm letting it soak overnight after spraying with rust dissolver....any other tips? Didn't want to try heat for fear of ruining the rubber knuckle.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

As my uncle would say, it takes "main strength and awkwardness" to break loose those tough nuts and bolts.

So, to apply MSAA you may need to use some sort of cheater bar. You'll also have to "pop" it out of the steering knuckle once the nut is off. Strong whacks with a hammer on the edge of the knuckle where the tie-rod bolt goes through generally sends enough vibration to pop them out.
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering issue Reply with quote

So I had to cut the nuts...just too rusted...just as well since the tie rod ends could stand replacement.... question now is I dont need to replace the teflon orings on that shaft? But I still need to pull it out right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: