Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

After a year on the road with two growing boys, we decided we "need" a little more space. Nothing says aging American like onboard heat, hot water, a huge bed upstairs and a proper bathroom. Plus, our Vanagon is too reliable and easy to source parts for. Never worked on a diesel before, should be fun! Currently making the trip from outside Stuttgart, Germany to Colorado, USA. More to come upon (hopeful) arrival...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Whoa...so cool!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

That is Too Bad!!!

(in a good way!)

👍🏼😎👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Nice! Looks pretty roomy, could lose a kid in there. And shower? WC? Careful, no going back once you get those Very Happy

Subscribed - looking forward to the hearing more.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Is there a bentley or equivalent for the LT? I'd be interested in seeing how they're put together
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

35 or 45 ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Yay! –an LT. I didn't think any had made over to your neck of the woods. I only ever knew of one guy before who had one and he was in Canada.

I've owned two of those in my time and they're great old vans. I love 'em! [You can see my first one in my sig]. But, if you're one of those people who complains that your T3/Vanagon is slow –you ain't seen nothing yet! My 1,6TD T3 feels like a formula one racing car compared to my LTs.

I'm going to go all misty-eyed now as I just sold my LT a week or so ago, so I could concentrate all my meagre finances on my Syncro.

@E1 [and @MayorMcCheese, or anyone else for that matter] Let me know if you need any of these and I'll upload them somewhere:

The D24, manufactured under licence by Volvo, is the same engine as used in the LTs –hence those Volvo manuals

1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]

Last edited by stuzbot on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Just because you've awakened my LT-nostalgia by starting this thread; some gratuitous pics of mine from the eBay ad where I recently sold him.

Self-build rustic looking interior, created from recycled wood and bits of furniture found in skips. I'm going to miss all that space. Owning an LT is like having a big garden shed that drives!

Cab interior pretty much like a bigger version of the T3 or –since I owned LTs first– the T3 cab was like a miniature version of the LT's

Home-made sofa / table / storage boxes / foldy-out bed in the back. Room for a 6ft bloke to sleep across the width of the van [at a slight diagonal]. So you can have the double bed up and still have room to walk around forward of that

2,4l diesel engine, located under the cab. Six-cylinders so, if you get a good one, it'll purr like a sewing machine and so under-stressed they'll do upwards of 1/4 million miles, if looked after. Cruise all day at motorway speeds but prepare to be over-taken on steep hills by octogenarians in their bath-chairs. Oh. And changing the cam-belt is a complete arse of a job!

Engine is also available in Turbo-Diesel version which is apparently able to keep up with octogenarians in bath chairs on hills. I can't vouch for this outlandish claim though. Mine were both N/A ones.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Thanks for the tour stutzbot. Enjoy the new rig, owokie. Looking forward to more on its arrival!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

nice,

that volvo I6 is actually an VW/Audi I5 plus one.

get tired of the slower pace slip a audi5cyl turbo in there.. Arrow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Thanks guys! It's only got 48k miles from new, so hopefully not too much wrenching (haha). It's an LT28, I believe the smallest of all the LTs. Given that, it's just over a foot longer than a Vanagon, obviously quite a bit taller. Theres a guy making a small lift for a bit of clearance, Transit wheels will likely replace the 14s on there now. AFAIK, there's a guy up in the PNW with a Florida and the Ewings in Canada as mentioned. I think that's it, though obviously there's a bunch more "regular" LTs.

View out the front might even top the Vanagon. Five speed:

This baby packs a turbo diesel with a whopping 92 BHP. Might be just a bit slower than our EJ25 Westy. But what's the rush?

Only decent shot I have of the interior. When driving they both face forward, when parked there's the small table and a larger one too. To sleep they both lie flat for the downstairs (smaller) bed. Upstairs bed is extended in this shot.

Got about 7 months to get this thing here and ready for Alaska 2019. *fingers crossed*
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Nice!
What year is that, looks like one of the newer ones?
Good grief that thing is tall, but I like the short wheel base.
Have fun!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Love me an LT! Cool
If I had the means...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2216667

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

It's a 1990. The Floridas look far nicer inside than the earlier Sven Hedin which they replaced. Cabinets, trim, etc. all look like '87+ Vanagon Westy.

That 4x4 is sweet, though we probably wouldn't need it. Also, we love the Westy design and fit/finish. That's also one hefty price tag, Floridas can still be had in the 10 to 18k euro range for something nice.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

We're making a similar move but couldn't find something bigger than our Vanagon with a Westfalia sticker on it so we branched out. And we did see a yellow LT near Rimouski QC during our Gaspe trip several years ago.

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Very cool.

This one just popped up 2 days ago in Vancouver, BC:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1991-vw-westfalia-lt28/6727080527.html
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

ELO78 wrote:
Very cool.

This one just popped up 2 days ago in Vancouver, BC:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1991-vw-westfalia-lt28/6727080527.html

Holy smokes. With a little legwork you could import two of them for that price. And expecting the engine to go 500k miles is just a bit optimistic.

There was one in the UK that had very similar pictures listed for ~17k pounds a few days ago. Wonder if that ad is a flip of that van. *edit* It is that van:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTSTANDING-LT28-WESTFA...7675.l2557

That's 10k ish on that flip after shipping/import costs. Wow.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

From another LT 28 owner i would like to congratulate you With Your New LT. Mid engined, RWD straight 6 turbo engine, yes it is a real sports car.... I own a coach buildt Karmann LT L, so we went quite a bit larger, upgrading from a vanagon, 3 years ago and have newer regreted. We have the 75hp DW diesel, and that engien realy sucks….The 92hp 1G engine is not to common, most comon was the 102hp DV engien, until 1992 when the ACL intercooled engine with 94hp came. From 1988-89 a 109 hp DV engine was an option in LT 28, 31 and 35. The Volvo 200, 700 and 900 series had the same engine, with up to 129hp, so you could add an intercooler and adjust the pump and get around 130hp.
there is hardly anny difference between a LT 28 and 31. It might have bigger springs, but i have 1680kg on the rear axle and another Karman owner with a LT31 has the same springs and 1940kg. Only difference is the load rating on the tires. The rear brakes are almost identical to your vanagon, but the boltpattern is 5x160. LT35 has biger rear brakes, same as T3 sycro 16. The ford Transit uses the same pattern. I bought a set of alu wheels with tyres, used on the net, to save som weight. Offsett is 51, so wheels has to be from a FWD Transit. A RWD Transit has 60mm offsett. Actualy i spent as mutch on new bolts and nuts, as on wheels. I find the LT as a mutch more reliable car than the T3. How is your cambelts? and remember to always replace the waterpump when repacing the cambelts.
Best place for parts are https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts.html they always ship the same day if you order during working hours.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

Buss Marius wrote:
...Best place for parts are https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/lt-parts.html they always ship the same day if you order during working hours.

Yes, except Brickwerks won't ship to North America, you have to arrange to go through another vender. I believe Christopher at T3 was offering this service.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bought another Westy. It's not a Vanagon/Bay/Splitty Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
nice,

that volvo I6 is actually an VW/Audi I5 plus one.

get tired of the slower pace slip a audi5cyl turbo in there.. Arrow

Actually it is a EA 827 engine (1.6l) with two additional cylinders. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: