Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

I’ve been reading for an hour and am more confused. My 56 has had many po’s and I’m not sure if this is correct. When I removed the hood hinges, there was a single small 8mm shoulder bolt. NO washers at all under the head or between the hinge and body as a spacer. I need to know for sure what the correct order was. I tried it the way I took it apart and the bolts naturally loosen themselves by lifting hood up and down. Also, when aligning the hood, it seems to overlap the driver side 1/4” more than the passenger. (The bottom lip of the hood where it meets the flat of the body where the seal rides on the SIDES, not the top under the windshield) How do I fix this? I think the internal hinge mount is slightly bent because no matter of adjustments changed it at the side.
Thanks!
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

anyone awake yet? I just need to know the proper order of the hinge base hardware...the pivot that attaches to the car itself. The car is a 56. Does the hinge only use the small bolt with the shoulder or are there washers involved anywhere? My bolts are turning and loosening when the hood is moved up and down. The hood is off center more to the side with the prop so either my hood hinge attachment bases are bent or I have hardware wrong.

Thank you!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

For the hinge:
M6 x 10 bolt.
Lock washer.
Washer.

For the hinge carrier:
M6 x 12 bolt.
Lock washer.
Washer.

All of the above are galvanized.

edit: ignore above, wrong info see below.

Last edited by Snort on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Thanks!

So does the order (looking at it from the outside) go shoulder bolt, lock washer, flat washer, then hinge, then body... or bolt, lockwasher, hinge, flat washer, body? I have two different height shoulder bolts, some are short and some really long. The PO had things mixed around and incorrect when they painted the car last.

Also, is the flat washer used a standard thin flat washer or is it thicker?
Thank you!!!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Bolt, lock washer, washer, hinge, body (except you are bolting the hinge to the hinge carrier, not the body). Same goes for the hinge carrier... bolt, lock washer, washer, body. Standard thin washer nothing special.

edit: wrong info, see below

Last edited by Snort on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

You’re the man! I appreciate the help. I didn’t realize the carrier was actually bolted to body, thought it was welded. Last question, I have two lengths of shoulder bolts with different shoulders. Does the hinge pivot use the long style and the shorter goes to the prop?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Hinge is short bolts.

When reading metric bolt sizes such as the M6 x 10, the M6 refers to 6mm thread diameter and the 10 is 10mm length. M6 x 12 is 12mm long.

edit: ignore, not relevant to the topic.

Last edited by Snort on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Seems to me that smitty24 is talking about the front hood hinge (using shoulder-bolts and over-sized flat washers) . . . and Snort is talking about the rear deck (no shoulder bolts back there!).
If the shoulder bolt loosens . . . maybe too short . . . use the longer one.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Idea 57BLITZ is correct.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Yes I am talking about the front hood, not the decklid at all. I am now more confused...so the front hood hinge pivot shoulder bolts use a flat washer and not a spring washer?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Sorry Smitty . . . I drove my '62 to work . . . my ovals are at home . . . I cannot check for ya now.

I would have guessed, if you have a large flat washer (w/8mm hole), it would go between the hood hinge and the bolt hole on the body.
Regarding the shoulder bolt . . . the shoulder MUST be long enough so that the bolt tightens in the body . . . in other words, the hinge will NOT be clamped by the shoulder bolt and it will have some play.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Yeah that is part of where I’m confused. Some guys in older threads said there is a flat washer in between the hood hinge and the mount on the body. Some others said there is no washer there and only a spring washer under the head of the shoulder bolt touching against the hinge. I’m having issues because I have two styles of shoulder bolts with shoulders long and short. The long one seems way too long, the short seems that the shoulder is too short, especially if there were a washer or anything else...but if I use the bolt itself and try to snug it, the damn thing loosens itself. My ‘63 is sitting in the driveway and doesn’t have any washer under the head of the shoulder bolt.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

smitty24 wrote:
Some others said there is no washer there and only a spring washer under the head of the shoulder bolt touching against the hinge.

I think this is what you want. The shoulder bolt needs to be tight to the body without pinching the hinge. And as I recall, yes it is a rather thin spring washer which is designed to make it anti-rattle without pushing so much against the bolt head so that it unscrews, no flat washer. To test if you have the right shoulder bolt install it without any washer and the hinge should move freely and be just a little floppy side to side, then add the spring washer and check again.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Yes, that makes sense now. The ones I’m using up on that pivot are like 3/4” - 1” total length. The shoulder is maybe 3mm or so. The other bolts I have are 1 1/4” with a 7-9mm shoulder. The shorter ones seem to better. Would adding a thin flat washer in between the actual hinge and body mount help with smooth movement or not necessary? I have an assortment of metric spring washers and flats that I can try.

I installed the hinges without any washer previously and the head of the shoulder bolt seemed to bite into the od of the hinge bore and loosen itself. I was also most likely tightening a slight bit too much.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

There might have been a few changes but this is what the '47 manual showed and these are the washers from my '51.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think on a '56 you would omit the lock washer and change the bolt for a shoulder bolt. The fender washer would have a larger hole to accommodate the shoulder of the bolt.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper order of hood hinge hardware ‘56 and hood offcenter Reply with quote

Here is a clipped photo from my 57 parts manual.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: