Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gantry crane design for a bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

I had previously posted something in the Ghia forum, but ....pretty quiet over there.
I want to lift the 66 bug body completely off the chassis, as the body needs a lot more than just heater channel replacement. I have room in my shop to do a 'gantry' style lift. The main reason for wanting to do it that way is I know that I will have to do several 'trial fits' of the body with replaced heater channels onto the chassis with replaced floor pans ....and I don't have anyone to help me with that kind of multiple lift and re-lift to adjust, etc. work.
Yesterday I came across the "Hannah's Bug" videos on YouTube, the one where she built a gantry style chain hoist lift ...that seems like a safe and reasonable way to go. But it seems like she way over-built it if its just going to be used for a 400 pound VW body lift. Can someone point me to a simpler design that works with a Beetle body? Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

https://m.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/i...p;q=gantry

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Thanks! That looks like a good style that could be easily replicated using 4X4 inch lumber for everything, with maybe a doubled-up 4X4 cross piece on the top. Did some measuring today: the uprights could be 8 feet tall, the top cross piece 6 feet long, and the bottom feet 4 feet long ....with appropriately placed 45 degree 4X4 braces. Wouldn't really need casters, as the body could be lifted and the chassis rolled out from under it. Using that Harbour Freight chain hoist, and wide straps, I should be able to lift the body plenty high enough to roll the chassis out. Not sure yet what 4X4 lumber costs per foot, but should be able to build this for a lot less than $730. Thoughts??
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

If you’re going that route, I would suggest at least 2x6 or 2x8 doubled up with a piece of plywood filler in between like a header in a home for the top beam. 4x4 post is not strong when bearing loads horizontally, especially if you are planning to let the shell dangle for extended amounts of time. Even more so if you plan on working under it.

The biggest problem I see with a gantry style set up is that is that you will need to make it quite wide if you plan on doing anything that requires opening the doors as this is where the supports are going to need to be to keep it balanced. That’s the allure of the “folding sawhorse” style of body supports, they’re only as wide as the body so the project takes up less space in the garage. Your better half can still park in the garage while letting you play with your project.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Yeah ....I think you're right about the header: doubled up 2X6 or 2X8's is definitely a better idea! Not concerned about the width as much ...plan is to lower the body onto a wheeled body dolly then roll it out of the way to work on it. Hey ....I think my plan is coming together! Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

The 2x6/8 really need that layer of plywood screwed & glued in between for rigidity.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Link

She's phenomenal, although she stopped posting awhile ago Crying or Very sad
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Here is the VW version of the gantry crane, metal instead of wood, but you can get an idea of the dimensions:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Good point on the 2X6 plus plywood sandwich. Yes .....it was this Hannah's Bug video that I was referring to in my original post. That VW gantry crane looks great ....not much luck of finding one of those in the classifieds! It still amazes me how much faith VW put in the strength of the fenders as lifting points ...I don't think I would try that, even as a last resort. My plan is to use a wide, flat strap (with padding) thru the door opening and rear quarter window openings ...after a bit of trial and error to find a 'balancing point'...
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

It’s a good investment if you’re going to do a lot of this type of work, but it would be cheaper/easier to round up 3 friends, offer them lunch and pull the body off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
It’s a good investment if you’re going to do a lot of this type of work, but it would be cheaper/easier to round up 3 friends, offer them lunch and pull the body off.

Having friends around is always fun, but he already stated that he wants to do multiple fitments, at his own pace, with controlled lifts and placement for precisely fitting his replacement parts.

Big benefit with wood components is that you can repurpose it on other projects later (steel as well but not as easily).

The only thing I don't like about chain hoists is the loop of chain spinning around your project while going up and down. You need somebody or something to hold it clear of the body while using it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gantry crane design for a bug? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:

Having friends around is always fun, but he already stated that he wants to do multiple fitments, at his own pace, with controlled lifts and placement for precisely fitting his replacement parts.

Big benefit with wood components is that you can repurpose it on other projects later (steel as well but not as easily).

The only thing I don't like about chain hoists is the loop of chain spinning around your project while going up and down. You need somebody or something to hold it clear of the body while using it.

You could grab an electric hoist.
https://m.harborfreight.com/1300-lbs-electric-hois...20provided
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: