Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon featured in article on living small
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Anyone here own one of these featured vans? Just thought this article was entertaining enough to share. https://www.finance101.com/weird-homes/?utm_source...s_v10_0410
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

That looks like the wheresmyofficenow bikini/yoga photo studio (although it looks like they've become a bit more multi-dimensional in generating revenue, previously it seemed 90% of their photos were of one of the occupants in a bikini or less). Good for them.

http://wheresmyofficenow.com/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

We met the wheresmyofficenow couple in Mendocino/Fort Bragg a few years ago. They had already been at it a while so they were on the leading edge of the fad. I wonder what happens when #vanlife becomes recognized as a fad and then all the hip people have to try to find something else to do? That is, if it is a fad? I thought tattooing was going to be a fad and that all the tattooed folks would be walking around by now looking like flower children in bell bottom pants...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Been into tiny houses for a long time. Article was a PITA to read, totally smothered in ads.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Been into tiny houses for a long time. Article was a PITA to read, totally smothered in ads.

Nice pics of cool projects woven into a titillating clickbait dangle. This one had more tiny homes, just a few 20-somethings posing. Leggy girl holding a drill etc. The text is the standard useless tinyhome/vanlife manifesto that the all the “authors” copy & re-word slightly.

I personally like the “idea” of the designs and can see why its used for clickbait. Basically if the clickbait sellers are going after it - that means it sells, and a lot of people are interested in the idea. But reality is they’re gonna burn it out quicker. Wonder what backlash will come from the “tiny homes fad” in a couple years? I do wonder if anyone actually lives in these (and for how long). I bet they are mostly vacation homes, where the owner actually has a big house to live in. And a big shop for the tools, materials, furnishings etc to build the things.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

It ia PITA to read. . I really hate sildeshow formats . Yet becau
se they showed vanagon first I thought it was ,well at least abit entertaining. It was cool that before all the bling of modern groovy(expensive sunset magazine like) "living small" stuff they at least ,(perhaps unknowing )showed our little vehicle that for many started it all .
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Yup gotta check it out when it starts with a Vanagon Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
I wonder what happens when #vanlife becomes recognized as a fad and then all the hip people have to try to find something else to do?

The early adopters monetize their celebrity and experience as #vanlife coaches.

I hope they build a great client base and make good money. Seriously.

#vanlife coaches...
http://wheresmyofficenow.com/learn-vanlife/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Just telling everyone to wear a bikini is probably going to backfire at some point. My budget for waxing will no doubt kill any profits I earn

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just telling everyone to wear a bikini is probably going to backfire at some point. My budget for waxing will no doubt kill any profits I earn

Yeah...I look downright disgusting in a bikini.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
We met the wheresmyofficenow couple in Mendocino/Fort Bragg a few years ago. They had already been at it a while so they were on the leading edge of the fad. I wonder what happens when #vanlife becomes recognized as a fad and then all the hip people have to try to find something else to do? That is, if it is a fad? I thought tattooing was going to be a fad and that all the tattooed folks would be walking around by now looking like flower children in bell bottom pants...

I think about that often. I wonder if it will all fade and the vanagon will plummet in value. I have no idea honestly, it's been going strong for a while. I've loved my van and VW's for a long time. Owning my van right now while there is so much innovation and support is awesome though, so I hope it keeps going!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

I can't imagine interest fading when for every owner we meet there's ten that want to be.

And there's still nothing like them in at least dozens of ways.

I'm banking on steady value increase, and in ways far healthier than just the money bit.

The van we've owned for a week gained about $855 in 35 years after the window sticker, like $.68/day. I know of no other popcorn-making and Munster-watching and Zeppelin-playing rolling theater that can touch that -- despite the regular glitches we just gotta suck up in trade.

PS -- Steve M., my condolences, though not entirely without relief. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

deslidified... i hate slide show page click ad boosters

http://desli.de/?o=html_table&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.finance101.com%2Fweird-homes%2F

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I can't imagine interest fading when for every owner we meet there's ten that want to be.

if they really wanted to own one, they would buy one. the "i've always wanted one" means it sounds like a great idea if money is not needed. people that really want something figure out how to make it happen. or so i've been told.

BiWerks Design, LLC
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

Partly true on finding ways to make dreams true, but only partly.

Most who tell us this are young and not able to afford one yet. If our country's past economic realities were still present, they'd already have one. It's a very tough time to be a 20-something.

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
It's a very tough time to be a 20-something.

Sheesh, 20..something.. I used to say I still felt like I am about 19 (probably act that way too often still) but I feel the same at 50 something.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Partly true on finding ways to make dreams true, but only partly.

Most who tell us this are young and not able to afford one yet. If our country's past economic realities were still present, they'd already have one. It's a very tough time to be a 20-something.

there is a thread about a teen who just rebuilt a motor in the time i've opined my coolant woes. a will, a way and all that.

sure, if you don't have the resources for basic needs, any form of luxury is a dream. but honestly, who is telling you of their "dream" and the "always" when they usually have far more luxury items in their life.

just saying. the idea is great, it cost nothing.

BiWerks Design, LLC
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

With Ya Bobby, I feel mostly the same also.

So far as the engine-building kid with a van, I presume there's a supportive parent or two behind him. We've literally met hundreds of 20-somethings on the road, and for most their "luxury items" are insurmountable student loans in fields they can't find jobs in.

The mistakes in their lives are born from a nation gone wrong, and not of their doing. Anyone old enough to remember the opportunities available them/us forty years ago sees this clear as day, if they choose to look beyond themselves.

The ones dreaming of a bus have all been great kids whose fortunes should not be confused with lack of effort -- but rather circumstances others are lucky in not having. Damned lucky, in fact.

— Colin Chapman
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon featured in article on living small Reply with quote

The comments about a tiny house with big building to work in are spot on! I live in a small house, (400 SF), with a large garage. Spent the first winter here building it. (My electrical work received high praise, not so much my plastering skills...)

Live on a lake, perfect fit for my lifestyle!

Don’t know how today’s college grads will cope, with high debt and piss-poor attitudes and skills. Expecting the government to step in won’t work. Oh well....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: