Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Abscate wrote:
fubar is resurfacing the flywheel and forgetting to take off the same from the pressure plate mount face.

I did not know this... and am somewhat puzzled trying getting it

Its not “beyond all relief”.

All you have to do to fix this is repeat the ENTIRE job, this time machining down the pressure plate mounting face to match the deeper resurfaced (new) level of the flywheel.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Did he give some kind of warranty on the clutch? The guy will very probably bleed the system first as he most assuredly would (should !) have done as part of the install. If that doesn't work, as I suspect it won't, he will have to pull it apart to to investigate. The sudden higher engagement point suggests the flywheel wasn't properly resurfaced as previously mentioned. As the disk slips and wears thin due to insufficient clamping, then the engagement point rises. Did the clutch feel like it was gripping strongly when you first picked it up?

As for your shake at idle, can you hear the irregularity at the exhaust? A good mechanic knows how to perform a power balance test to isolate the weak cylinder if one exists. You should definitely he checking all vacuum lines first though.

Since a hydraulic clutch is self adjusting the pedal should not rise as the clutch wears. The clutch should function very close to the same from the time it is installed until it wears enough that the fingers begin to contact the clutch cover. At that point wear will accelerate as slipping begins to occur.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Maybe I missed this.. but is there oil dripping from the bell housing? Can you see oil on the back of the flywheel through the flex plate bolt access hole? I would guess your clutch plate is contaminated with oil.

J

Excellent diagnostic question,
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Alright, quick update for those super bored souls that have nothing better to do than read my blubbery ramblings:

Took back to the shop today. The mechanic (who is a super nice guy btw) pushed the clutch pedal a few times and said "oh yeah, it's your master cylinder. I'll need to replace that." I totally (nicely) asked him if he, in fact, did install a new clutch. He did. Did he install a new clutch plate as well? Of course he did. Did he happen to machines he fly wheel? He did. Did he see any oil on it or leaking from the main seal? No he did not.

Fine. I just don't get how a master cylinder could make the clutch slip in 4th gear? But these are bizarre little machines. He's gonna have at it today. I really hope - if it is my master cylinder - that I did not screw up my clutch or fly wheel by driving it home while slipping. But I digress.

Also, he thinks that the engine chirp is the alternator... the vacuum hoses and wiring around the distributor etc all look good. New, even. I had a look at them. So he thinks the shimmy could caused by the alternator sticking and the chirp is maybe the bearing going out?

I don't mean to second guess the guy. And I didn't stand there and do that. That's what forums are for, right? I guess all I can say is we'll see. And, blah.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

For the clutch hydraulics to cause the clutch to slip as someone else mentioned before, the hydraulics would need to be overcoming the pressure plate enough to let the disc start to slip. Just like when you push the pedal down. That is a really unlikely scenario, but anything is possible.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

A clutch will tend to slip in 4th gear because the engine is typically producing more torque in 4th gear and it is the torque that leads to the slip.

I would not want to run a clutch that had done much unintentional slipping.

Did you ask the mechanic if the step in the flywheel had been machined to the correct depth? This is something that is not required on many flywheels on other rigs and might get missed.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

the master nor the slave will cause slippage, even if air in the system,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

That is like saying that neither the master or slave can cause brake drag, which I am sure you know is wrong. Air has nothing to do with it, but a restricted port could cause the clutch to "pump up" which would cause it to slip. I agree it is unlikely but it fits the high clutch pedal symptom and the slippage symptom.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

We do tend to the esoterica diagnosia on Samba - i bet here someone fubarred a clutch job....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
We do tend to the esoterica diagnosia on Samba - i bet here someone fubarred a clutch job....

I think that is likely Wink
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Persons (guys and girls) never put your head over a running motor with belts flapping. I have a friend that did and nearly died, the fan belt let loose and nearly killed him by jugular blood loss. Serious stuff. Keep that in mind.
In sorrow Brian
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

I’m not trying to discourage you from working on your own rigs but be careful. A metal bake pan sheet can be a shield while doing some things like full RPM timing advance. Keep your head and neck safe. Keep this community awesome.
Brian
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Safety comments cannot be overdone, we've done thousands of days of potentially-lethal things (mountaineering, alpine backpacking, kart racing, flight attending) in our lives and have escaped serious injury by thinking "negatively," if you will.

Last time was the afternoon of August 29th. I said to the Missus for the umpteenth time, "I know you're sick of hearing this, but if we ever get into a rollover car accident, make sure to protect your head and neck like you taught to your passengers on the plane."

16 or so hours later, she protected her head and neck for the very reason we'd planned for.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

To to OP, happy to hear you are getting to resolution on your clutch.

To give you some comfort, the General Grabbers are good tires. My daughter just had to replace a set she ran for 120,000kms and would pass inspection, but winter is coming, so she replaced them. In my experience, that's pretty good useful life.

Enjoy the van, it is almost always a work in process.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Before your big trip get AAA premium with the 200 mile tow. One of these days you're going to need it.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

OK, I did miss the high pedal part..

the clutch rubber hose (on early models) could collapse internally like happens on brake flex lines, that would hold in pressure.

there are also 2 types of clutch slave pushrod, long and short but since this was fine after the new slave and then changed on it's own I wouldn't blame that.

Wildthings wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

That is like saying that neither the master or slave can cause brake drag, which I am sure you know is wrong. Air has nothing to do with it, but a restricted port could cause the clutch to "pump up" which would cause it to slip. I agree it is unlikely but it fits the high clutch pedal symptom and the slippage symptom.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Man you guys are scaring me. I really can’t pay for another clutch job. And I just paid for a new master cylinder that I probably don’t need Sad
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

Most quality independent shops should have some sort of warranty. That said, the shop is taking a double hit redoing a job. One they are fixing the comeback at their expense and at the same time can't take pay work while they are doing the warranty repair. Many parts suppliers warranty the parts they sell, but very few reimburse the shop for labor. It's just a bad situation all around for you and the shop. Keep that in mind.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

This is a similar scenario to one I had. I am now of the camp that there is no cure for a slipping clutch that doesn't involve pulling the gear box. See my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694795&highlight=

I'll save you the time of reading through the thread. It was a main seal leaking on the clutch. I learned years ago to always replace the main seal when you are in there doing a clutch job. Probably not a bad idea to always replace the clutch TOB, PP and resurface or replace Flywheel when you are in there doing a main seal...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch slippage, engine chirp, and general grabbers suck ;) Reply with quote

YosemiteBound wrote:
I honestly have no idea if I've been driving around with my foot resting on the clutch pedal. Certainly not with it engaged.

Pedal at the “top” (no foot!) is “clutch engaged.”

Clutch terminology Note: Your car moves when you "engage" (or connect) the engine TO the transaxle. So pressing your foot downward on the clutch "disengages" (disconnects), and the engine fails to drive the car forward. Letting the clutch pedal rise up "engages" the clutch and the engine then drives the van forward.

Also I didn't see any reply to jberger's comment about looking for oil dripping. It's the mechanic's responsibility to ensure no oil was dripping before. It's a professional aseesment of risk, to let one go out the door that might drip on the new clutch.

Can someone explain the "high pedal clutch failure theory" better? I understand a rising pedal in a cable linkage, where the pedal rises as the clutch disc reduces thickness. And you have to twirl an adjuster nut to replenish a little cable slack at the top. A VW bug and bus from the 60's, 70s had a mechanical linkage but the Vanagon has a hydraulic clutch.

On a hydraulic clutch this incremental 'rise' is 'cancelled' at the top of the clutch throw by a little bleed port in the master cylinder. The hydraulic clutch therefore auto-adjusts itself. So you are saying that somehow it has not cancelled, and now they hydraulic pressure is trapped, disengaging the clutch thus causing slippage? And eventually burned up the OP's clutch?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: