Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CakeDiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Here's me and the little gal putting in a late night in the shop. Love you Allison. Hope to get a lot of trips in together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
CakeDiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

That brings us roughly to where the van sits now.

Recently got some mercedes wheels mounted with some BFG all terrains. I think I'll use them for a year or two and go up a size. I'll have to see how they perform first.

I did have my eyeballs on some goodyear duratracs in a ~29inch tire but these nice used BFGs came up right as I was looking.

Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Excellent attention to detail and amazing workmanship! You have top-notch skills sir.

At first glance I thought the oil pan and engine carrier were sourced from a vendor. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Beautiful work!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Excellent attention to detail and amazing workmanship! You have top-notch skills sir.

At first glance I thought the oil pan and engine carrier were sourced from a vendor. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

x2

awesome work

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

CakeDiesel wrote:
Here's me and the little gal putting in a late night in the shop. Love you Allison. Hope to get a lot of trips in together.

Really nice work, man, absolutely beautiful. Fantastic that you're working on the van with your daughter already! Shocked Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Great design and execution, although now I feel like I'm really slacking on my own projects, ha!

I'll be curious to see how that trans works out. What else was required for that to be flipped? I assume you had to modify the oil fill, drain, and breather?

Keep up the momentum!
CakeDiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Great design and execution, although now I feel like I'm really slacking on my own projects, ha!

I'll be curious to see how that trans works out. What else was required for that to be flipped? I assume you had to modify the oil fill, drain, and breather?

Keep up the momentum!

Thanks for the kind words and good questions.

The transmission flip doesn't require a ton of work, there are 2 main challenges IMO.

1) An adapter plate must be made

Sort of goes without saying, but a tough design challenge. I touched on these challenges on page 1.

2) Shifting linkage

I have seen a few solutions to this. Some are happy to modify the stock manual linkage, but it puts the shifter pattern in reverse (1st gear to the right)

I made a system using some push-pull cables and a custom shifter, facing backwards. I dont have any photos of the shifter, but you can see one of the grey cables in the photo below, coming off the transaxle mount.

There are some other smaller challenges like drill and tapping a new breather hole, selecting the right axles (the angled is increased) and slave cylinder hoses. I used 930 CVs because of the diesel torque and I wanted to run big tires, 944 CV's would also be appropriate.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Very nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trentb512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

How has the engine and transmission been working out for you? I keep wavering between rebuilding a 091 or swapping in a flipped passat transmission when I swap in an ALH and would love to hear some feedback from this side of the pond!

Beautiful work by the way!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure Build - 1983 Westfalia TDi Restomod Reply with quote

Uuupdate, uuupdate!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: