Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFM and Fuel Tank Project
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: AFM and Fuel Tank Project Reply with quote

Well another batch of replacement parts came in, which meant I spent yet another Saturday working on Von Westy. Rebuild AFM, new fuel tank and reseal kit, as well as new fuel filter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took the easiest task first, which was replacing the AFM. I still had more than a half a tank of gas and decided to go test drive rather than getting more fuel containers to drain the tank. I'm glad I did! My "test drive" wound up being about 45 miles, and that AFM made a world of difference! Idle is stable, she revs without issue, and I was able to pass people with confidence for once! She's still slow going uphill, but at least she is still accelerating when going uphill rather than bogging down and losing RPMs.

Next project was one that I'd dreaded replacing the original gas tank. Pulling it out was not a problem. Looking at the insides it wasn't just original recipe rust, it was extra crispy! No wonder the fuel pump was screaming trying to pull fuel through all that junk!

Getting the new fuel tank in was a multi-hour long ordeal for me. Anyone getting a new tank check the tank vent metal tubes on the sides. Mine were longer, and the ends were protruding outboard of the tank. That caused it to get hung up on some other things inside the van. I took a rubber mallet and brought them more inboard as well as getting them to lay closer to the tank's profile.

I'd ordered one of the reseal kits to do this, and I've got to say I was a bit disappointed. My personal opinion is that it's a $50 kit, not $100. Also got short changed on the amount of vent hose and wound up using some line I had. I also took the time to pull the fuel pump off, flush it out with some fresh fuel and put it back on the van the way it should've been.

Once everything was buttoned back up I put about 2 gallons in. Nothing leaked out. I drove it to the nearest gas station and filled up. No vapors, no spills!

Today I'm super sore. The tank replacement was a full body workout. I had my van up on ramps which helped tremendously. Today I plan to go out and enjoy the day, maybe go up to the property and "day camp."

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: AFM and Fuel Tank Project Reply with quote

Awesome, i did my tank as well, but at the time, 35 yrs old the seams on the outside were rusted and and splitting, but the inside was surprisingly pristine! I have always wondered about a rebuilt AFM, i have tinkered with mine, and she runs better than ever, just no stable idle till its warmed up. On the fuel tank, other than the cross over pipe on the top, i just made up all my own vent lines, even the short metal ones going to the expansion tanks, made those out of steel brake line. Nice job, and now you have me thinking about the AMF again!
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: AFM and Fuel Tank Project Reply with quote

@calo1956, I've also replaced the throttle body with one of GoWesty's new production units. While the replacement throttle body did help, replacing the AFM has been the single most immediate return on investment to date.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: