Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Paint Samples
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for Paint Samples Reply with quote

We are interested in painting our 1974 KG Coupe. We are looking at a couple original VW colors, including Dolphin Blue, Iris Blue and others. My question is can we get samples of a couple different colors without buying an entire quart? Quart seems to be the smallest size available. Would ideally like to see some printed samples to hold and stare at if possible.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Matt
Cour6396
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples Reply with quote

Hi Matt.....

If you know the exact paint code, and you can find a dealer for supplying paint, most paint stores can provide you a sprayput of the color.

Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples - update Reply with quote

Update: Local PPG store was able to give me one-ounce samples of Gulf Blue (Codes L390 / 12449) and Neptune Blue (codes L50K / 13454).

They could not find in their database Dolphin Blue or Bernina in spite of the fact that I had the "PPG Paint Code". I had Dolphin Blue as L337 / 31883 and Bernina as L431 / 12130. I found that strange since the one code was specifically a PPG code.

At this point I am looking for a supplier for samples to help us decide the color for our 1974 KG coupe. Then of course the larger quantity.

Any ideas? Thanks, Matt
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples - UPDATE Reply with quote

I was able to find Dolphin Blue and Bernina Blue on a website called PaintScratch.com. I got the one ounce bottle but they had quarts and gallons too in case anyone else in looking.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples Reply with quote

The problem with just getting samples from anyone.....is that you need to know exactly WHOSE paint system they were made with.
Each paint brand uses different pigments, binders, solvents in their lines. No two are exactly alike.

So taking a paint # code that was originally formulated say by Glasurit.....and looking at the same formula made in PPG.....may not be the exact same color when applied. Usually if a mfg has gone through the trouble to match an existing color formula made ny a different mfg.....they can get pretty close if they use a spectrophotometer....and most do.

Thats....IF.....the pigments in their toners (which WILL be different than the original mfg) have the range to allow them to hit that color. It gets more difficult if the original color formula is decades old. In many cases the original pigments are no longer in use or available.

So just be sure if you buy small spray or brush samples.....that they are made in a brand name paint and series you can buy....and not some no-name one off. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glenn87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples Reply with quote

i have sample from them for hoizon blue waay to gray cheap though just make sure your painter can match it
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Paint Samples - next questiopn Reply with quote

Good news is I will not be matching but painting the whole car.

So my next question is about PaintScratch paints. Are they good quality? We found a couple VW colors from them that we have so far not found anywhere else. And they sell in gallon sizes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: