Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MSD distributor rotor position at TDC
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Hi!

I have now fitted my new MSD dizzy in my 2276 engine at TDC on cylinder 1 with the rotor pointing to the mag pick-up module.

What I find odd is that at TDC on cylinder 1 the rotor is not lining up with terminal 1 on the cap. It points to a position between terminal 1 and 4.

Is this OK? When i have my 010 in the engine, rotor, mark on the body of the distributor and terminal 1 of the the cap are lining up.

I have swapped the blue bushing for the black one but I guess that when doing this mistakes seem to be quite diffucult to make.

Thanks for your help!

Phil
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Set the engine so it's at TDC on #1. Install the distributor, rotate the body so the #1 mark on the body is lined up with the rotor. Start the engine and set the timing.

It doesn't matter where #1 is as long as its lined up with TDC on #1.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Don't worry as much about where the rotor is pointing but where the paddle on the reluctor wheel is pointing, make one of them point right at the pickup coil when the ignition rotor is approximately where you want it.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

if your distributor is installed incorrectly, it will still run, you just have a different location for #1.. you can pull the distributor and reinstall, or leave it as is, but for the love of god, document it!

Years ago I must have been distracted while bend building an engine.. I wound up realizing after installing it and hooking it up, that my distributor was 180 off. once I figured that out, i was able to get it running, and wound up just leaving it (i know, i know..).

fast forward a couple of years and I went to do some maintenance and had forgot my faux pas.. took a while to figure out what was wrong and remember my earlier mistake.. haha

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify, the distributor gear is fitted correctly and with a Bosch distributor (009/010) I don’t have this isssue.

I always thought that at TDC the rotor should point to the terminal in the cap and not be in between two cap terminals. Will this not generate misfiring?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

It should.

So are you say the #1 mark on the body is not at one of the terminals?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

I have not seen any mark on the body and the instructions are not mentionning anything about it. They just say turn crankshaft to TDC on cylinders 1 and plug the dizzy to sum them up.

Maybe I do not understand something about how to set-up a msd distributor or it would mean that something really went wrong in the production of my distributor.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Everything about a distributor is based on a circle. It doesn’t really matter which way everything mounts. The cap only goes on one way so we all know where the #1 plug wire should be.
Pull out a test light connect it to coil- and ground, set the motor at 7.5 degrees aTDC, then rotate the distributor and watch the test light light up. Wire the Cap accordingly. Start and tune.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Have you actually set the static timing yet? Just because the rotor is pointing to the pickup module, that doesn't mean it actually in firing position.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

MSD electronic distributor should set timing same as points distributor.... #1 is 7.5° before TDC and rotor points to #1 tower, it will run well enough to get timing light on it...

Don't know of you can use test light as with points or with points replacement module....IF you have CDI box, probably not

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

I didn't think a test light worked without points? have I been misinformed all these years?

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
I didn't think a test light worked without points? have I been misinformed all these years?

You can set a Compufire and 'some' versions of Pertronix, believe Pertronix I works ok but II & III are said not to work with test light (by Pertronix documentation)...

MSD with CDI box, probably not... One might get a hit on timing light (not test light) though if hooked up and key on as you rotate distributor body...

I static set timing with my Compufire in 009 body with test light for initial startups...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:

You can set a Compufire and 'some' versions of Pertronix, believe Pertronix I works ok but II & III are said not to work with test light (by Pertronix documentation)...

MSD with CDI box, probably not... One might get a hit on timing light (not test light) though if hooked up and key on as you rotate distributor body...

I static set timing with my Compufire in 009 body with test light for initial startups...

Dale

that's what i thought.. i always just static set it and it winds up "close-enough" to fire up the engine and put a light on it..

1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

Having used a Mallory utilite with mag pick-up I assumed that the module inside the body has to be lining up at TDC with terminal 1 of the cap.

But perhaps it is not the case with the MSD distributor. The instructions say to ensure that the rotor is pointing to terminal 1 in the cap.

I will do that without taking into consideration the alignment of the module and fire up the engine.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD distributor rotor position at TDC Reply with quote

WOW Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: