Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Riser Too Hot
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

I have a 66 Beetle with a 73 motor 1600 DP stock. I completely rebuilt this a year or two ago. Only have about 400 miles on it right now, but I have noticed that the left heat riser gets extremely hot, which I believe causes vapor lock when I let the car sit for about 15 minute.

I have double checked everything. The thermostat is set correctly and working, the vents work properly, all plugs look similar (none hotter than the other).

I have a thermometer and I checked some temps with the car running. THe head temps are similar. I checked the exhaust where it bolts to the heads. Both sides read around 330 degrees (so both are same temp). However, when I check the heat risers, the left side reads 276 degrees and the right side is 85 degrees.

What is causing the left heat riser to get 3x hotter than the right. I should also mention I have cleaned out the intake and risers when I had it off, so it is not plugged or clogged. It is clear.

Suggestions?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I have a 66 Beetle with a 73 motor 1600 DP stock. I completely rebuilt this a year or two ago. Only have about 400 miles on it right now

Remember, VW added engine lid slots starting in 1970 for the 1600cc SP engine. Yours has none, and you have a 1600cc DP engine. So air flow is marginal at best. And maybe worse if your rubber engine seals are bad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

I put the lid kit on it so air flows into the motor, but shouldn't both heat risers be very similar in temperature? Why is the left 3x hotter?

Cusser wrote:
txasylum wrote:
I have a 66 Beetle with a 73 motor 1600 DP stock. I completely rebuilt this a year or two ago. Only have about 400 miles on it right now

Remember, VW added engine lid slots starting in 1970 for the 1600cc SP engine. Yours has none, and you have a 1600cc DP engine. So air flow is marginal at best. And maybe worse if your rubber engine seals are bad.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

What kind of muffler do you have? I ask this because some mufflers don’t have the proper plumbing to help create the flow through the heat risers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

The right side of my heat riser is hotter than left side on my rebuilt 1300. I am running an Ernst muffler that was NOS when I rebuilt engine. I thought one side was to be hotter than the other? On mine, the paint has burned off on the right side, but not left. I cannot touch either after it has run for a while. What kind of muffler are you using? Maybe this would help. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160919&highlight=ernst+heat+riser

Casey
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Only have about 400 miles on it right now, but I have noticed that the left heat riser gets extremely hot, which I believe causes vapor lock when I let the car sit for about 15 minute.

First thing to check is how your fuel line coming to the fuel pump is routed? I've seen so many pictures of the steel fuel line laying on top of the heat riser on it's way to the fuel pump. Is yours routed correctly?

Second, you have a bigger engine in a bug engine compartment that wasn't designed for the bigger dog house fan. When VW went to the dog house tin in 1971, they had vents in the engine lid to allow more air into it.

Have you checked your oil temps after a 15 minute freeway run? If it's running too hot, the fuel pump will heat soak and vapor lock.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Which heat riser gaskets are you using? Some have a considerably smaller hole in them.
Without more info, my wild guess is that you have the copper colored gasket with the small hole on the right side, and the "normal" gasket on the left side.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Since the purpose of the heat riser is to transfer heat to the intake manifold runners, there must be SOME side-to-side temperature differential if it is working correctly. How much is open to debate.

What muffler is it connected to? Do you have the right gaskets, with the right hole sizes? There is usually a difference in hole size to encourage flow through the heat riser. Some mufflers have the size restriction built in (or welded in), some rely on the use of gaskets with a restriction. Some flow left-to-right, some flow right-to-left.

And as posted, keep the fuel line away regardless.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

the heat riser is probably clogged, the other side should be hotter than that, and most likely unrelated to vapor lock
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Gee, it sounds perfectly normal to me.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

It is a stock muffler for the motor. I wondered if that could be the problem, but don't know.

anthracitedub wrote:
What kind of muffler do you have? I ask this because some mufflers don’t have the proper plumbing to help create the flow through the heat risers.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

I have the lid offsets so air flows while driving. But after sitting a bit it still vapor locks. Could the muffler be the problem? I did not put a new one on when I rebuilt the motor. It is a stock muffler.

wcfvw69 wrote:
txasylum wrote:
Only have about 400 miles on it right now, but I have noticed that the left heat riser gets extremely hot, which I believe causes vapor lock when I let the car sit for about 15 minute.

First thing to check is how your fuel line coming to the fuel pump is routed? I've seen so many pictures of the steel fuel line laying on top of the heat riser on it's way to the fuel pump. Is yours routed correctly?

Second, you have a bigger engine in a bug engine compartment that wasn't designed for the bigger dog house fan. When VW went to the dog house tin in 1971, they had vents in the engine lid to allow more air into it.

Have you checked your oil temps after a 15 minute freeway run? If it's running too hot, the fuel pump will heat soak and vapor lock.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Both sides have the same diameter. I didn't put the smaller holed gasket on the setup.

hazetguy wrote:
Which heat riser gaskets are you using? Some have a considerably smaller hole in them.
Without more info, my wild guess is that you have the copper colored gasket with the small hole on the right side, and the "normal" gasket on the left side.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Earlier in the summer I took the intake off and ran an old clutch cable thru it with a drill. It is clear and air moves freely through the risers.

Slow 1200 wrote:
the heat riser is probably clogged, the other side should be hotter than that, and most likely unrelated to vapor lock
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Mine runs a lot hotter on one side. I think this is the way it's supposed to work as the manifold will absorb the heat from the exhaust gas as it passes under the cooler manifold. To me this is working the right way !!

Roger
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I put the lid kit on it so air flows into the motor, but shouldn't both heat risers be very similar in temperature? Why is the left 3x hotter?

Cusser wrote:
txasylum wrote:

one side will be hotter, the exhaust flows in one side, out the other, the inlet side will be hottest, the exhaust cools as it travels thru the pipe.

The later motor consumes much more air, the fan is much bigger. At high speed, under load, you will starve the carb of air and choke the engine if you run with a solid decklid. this happened on my 61 with a 73 motor lost power going up hill at 70 mph. then I propped open the decklid about half an inch at bottom, and the problem was resolved, power returned! close the lid and problem returned.
thus you NEED either a propped open lid or louvers

but the heatriser being hotter on one side is normal.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

There was a thread and photos showing which side the small-hole gasket goes on. It is an important part of the design to ensure directional airflow through the heat riser. It will not be hard to loosen things up enough to slip the right gasket in there.

EDIT: These threads might clear it up:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520603
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443868
https://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/vw-heat-risers-education.html

I'm not sure I found the pic/text to one part... some aftermarket exhaust systems omit the external pipe that is essential for the heat riser, and some go as far as to weld up one side with a small opening left, so two regular gaskets can be used-- in effect they built in the small-hole gasket into the muffler, ensuring it's done right. But that external pipe is critical and many leave it off.

I was interested in the Bob Hoover discussions liked above, regarding the "fweem" sound and how critical that heat riser flow is... good reading!

Some have the external tube on the right, some on the left. The consensus is to put the small hole gasket on the side with the tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So DON'T do this:

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
There was a thread and photos showing which side the small-hole gasket goes on. It is an important part of the design to ensure directional airflow through the heat riser. It will not be hard to loosen things up enough to slip the right gasket in there.

EDIT: These threads might clear it up:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520603
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443868
https://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/vw-heat-risers-education.html

keep in mind different muffler configurations are around, left side or right side location for the small hole gasket are meaninglessness unless muffler configuration is known.

Also although the riser is hot, I doubt it is the sole contributor to vapour lock heat, the whole engine can be hot, the heatriser is a minor source of heat, it has a very small mass compared to the entire engine. It probably contributes little to the overall engine bay temperature after shut down.
You got a couple hundred poinds of hot motor, yet only a few pounds of heatriser, despite the higher temp of the r
riser, there is not a lot of heat in it do to its small mass.

A fuel supply restriction can be a source of problems, creating vapour lock, so make sure that is good, along with assuring the pump pressure and volume are correct, ensure the fuel cut off solenoid is working if equiped

Good Luck, Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Could also be not vapor lock, but instead too much fuel being poured down the throat of the carb just after hot engine is shut down.

Had same hard to start problem in hot weather and found needed a second added gasket between the fuel shut off valve and the upper section of the carb. This pushed the valve slightly downward and same with the float in the carb, so the float is more submerged in the fuel causing a slight bit more pressure up against the valve.

Check that fuel is not flowing up out the float chamber vent tube in the 10 or so minutes after shut down.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Riser Too Hot Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Could also be not vapor lock, but instead too much fuel being poured down the throat of the carb just after hot engine is shut down.

Had same hard to start problem in hot weather and found needed a second added gasket between the fuel shut off valve and the upper section of the carb. This pushed the valve slightly downward and same with the float in the carb, so the float is more submerged in the fuel causing a slight bit more pressure up against the valve.

Check that fuel is not flowing up out the float chamber vent tube in the 10 or so minutes after shut down.

Yes, and the generally poor quality of the float valves in carb rebuild kits makes such overfilling more likely. It was a problem 25 years ago and it still is. Keep your original valve as long as possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: