Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My helper returned in time for a test drive. As a surprise I opened the front passenger seat for business!

I think the prior owner had a problem with the latch and tried replacing it with a common Vanagon seat belt latch, but is different than some of the early ones. I thought this one was broken but noticed the pictures of different seat belts, eventually learning there is an early version and that is why it wouldn't clip in and my passengers had been chauffeured around in the back seat until now.

Having finally resigned myself to ordering a complete set of front seat belts because the early version was a.w.o.l., I stumbled on a picture of this one in the Bay Window classifieds. There must have been some overlap in the years there and saved me a bunch!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

I'm just going to skip a head for a moment and show you this because it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and fits in with the seat belt pictures perfectly. (Apologies to those who have been following the cup holder thread for some redundancy as I gather my build thread here)

Buggeee wrote:

Here is my tan Honda CRV fold-down cup holder / console installation pictorial. I found it on EBay for fifty bucks. I pulled out the Honda electric and installed two 12v power sources and fused those. I used a longer bolt with a couple of nuts to make up the distance on one of the mounting points and bolted it to the wheel well sheet metal. I think it has a nice 80's flavor to it and the color matches perfectly so looks like it belongs IMHO. Westy swivel seat clears whether the table is up or down. Thank you for the lead on this idea John Very Happy

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

One scrap remaining in the fuel system rehab was the pressure regulator. In chasing down the gremlins I was going to buy a pressure tester kit, but the pressure regulator itself was less expensive Rolling Eyes

Plus, I need to give myself something to look forward to in the tool department so I just replaced the regulator and called it good.

The hunt for the gremlin continues, this made the van idle better for some reason, when it was smooth (or so my mind imagines).

But there was still an intermittent issue going on somewhere that remained just out of reach. A lurching or cutting out that is narrowed at this point in the story to partial throttle acceleration.

Any takers? Don't work too hard, I do make the kill at some point here, but guesses are entertained.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Where do I begin?

First, I love your writing style! Humorous, lightly sarcastic (BrickBrake, Inc.) yet to the point with great, useful pics!

I have only bounced around this thread a little bit, but it looks like a great read from start to finish. But, some questions and comments:

1) Tell me a little more about your HF brake kit. I struggled with a home-made pressurizing set-up that finally did what I wanted it to do when I installed a new clutch master cylinder, but my set-up is so damned ghetto. I was not planning on using it for the brakes, but this Vanagon brake and clutch system seems receptive to a pressure bleeder. I thought I read in the Green Book that it was the recommended method??

Question The picture with the bottle of new fluid installed in the reservoir... how does that adapt to pressurize the system? Or am I mis-reading the picture?

2) Great job keeping part numbers in your pictures! That is SUPER helpful!

I also suffered a TS-2 problem for the late Baywindow. It was a manufacturer problem, then for a brief period the damned things weren't available from normal suppliers at all.

Once you learn more about the Bosch fuel injection (I'm still learning!), you will find that keeping dual carbs functioning properly is probably more work than the fuel injection hassle... but it takes awhile to get really comfortable with it. Exclamation Two things I have learned about Bosch L-Jetronic: The system has ZERO tolerance for vacuum leaks. And the system needs a strong battery and charging system ALL THE TIME. Keep your grounds super clean and tight! Great job renovating your ground strap! Arrow Add another strap from the car body to your engine.

On Stuart's comment about the boot dissolving... he's probably right! Today's rubber quality is absolute shit. Talk with Ray Greenwood and others about this. This issue of course will be found in cheap fuel line (Gates Barricade Ethanol Rated fuel injection hose is really good stuff), and CV boots, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

1) Tell me a little more about your HF brake kit. I struggled with a home-made pressurizing set-up that finally did what I wanted it to do when I installed a new clutch master cylinder, but my set-up is so damned ghetto. I was not planning on using it for the brakes, but this Vanagon brake and clutch system seems receptive to a pressure bleeder. I thought I read in the Green Book that it was the recommended method??
Question The picture with the bottle of new fluid installed in the reservoir... how does that adapt to pressurize the system? Or am I mis-reading the picture?

WastedYute too kind, too kind on the blather Smile - and I'd be happy to share on the brake bleeder.

This one does not pressurize the brake system. The bottle tipped up in the reservoir is just gravity feeding fluid into the reservoir as it is sucked into the system. There is a little cap on the bottle that holds it at the surface of the reservoir fluid and when the level drops below the cap an air bubble floats up and a little bit of new fluid flows down and out.

The air compressor is attached to the bottle that is down on the ground by the wheel. It blows air across the top of the bottle and creates a vacuum down in the bottle. There is a flexible tube running from inside the bottle to a rubber fitting that slips tightly onto the brake bleeder nipple on the wheel cylinder, or caliper as appropriate. The brake bleeder is cracked open, the air compressor is turned on and the vacuum sucks the fluid out of the wheel cylinder. The new fluid is pouring into the reservoir on the dash as the old fluid is being pulled out of the wheel cylinder at the other end. You just let it run until all the bubbles are out or, in this case, all the old dirty fluid is out and it is draining clear new fluid. Hit the next wheel, repeat, etc. until all the bubbles are out or fluid is new.

It was super duper easy and I will never go back. I have been having people pump the brakes for me for my whole life and this is so much easier and much, much faster. No more laying there on the ground opening and closing the bleeder while yelling "no not now not now... ok now, now, Hello? where did you go?"

Wasted youth wrote:
2) Great job keeping part numbers in your pictures! That is SUPER helpful!

Oh, yeah, that's a pay it forward as you know. I am so grateful when people have thrown a part number my way.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Oooo, Oooo, ooo I forgot to talk about the AFM! How could I skip that?! I did something really cool, unusual and unorthodox. Peeps are gonna Love it, Hate it or not even care! I guarantee it.

Before I get to all that I'll have to post the mundane part of it, which is not so mundane but still will pale in comparison... you will see.... that will be a later post.

In hunting gremlins and casting demons I performed a deeper multimeter test on my AFM. It had passed the resting test, just passively checking the Ohms across all the pins while it sat there in the van.

For the deeper test I brought it into the house and let it get to room temperature, ran the passive tests again, and then I tested the Ohms while sweeping the air vane through its arc.... Houston, we have a problem!

The meter was sometimes where it needed to be, but as I swept it through the arc it would spike crazy to three times the specification and sometimes error code for no reading at all!

I was really confused because this meant my carbon coating was goofed but looking at it in the van it looked fine, no scratches or wear marks at all. Then I noticed it was all a matter of perspective. From one direction in looked fine. Sitting on my kitchen table I could turn it around and see from another direction, finding a good scratch all the way through its sweep. Worn through. You can see the copper scratch here:

I tried losening the circuit board and relocating the contact point of the arm. I tried bending the arm, etc. Anything the threads might suggest. No improvement. This is toast. It also looks like there are two rows of scratches per each of the two contact points (four total sweep wear valleys in total) so someone may have been in here before doing this.

A friend of mine had an extra Late Bay Bus AFM and I threw that in. Here is the discussion on that from my comments elsewhere. This shows how multimeter readings and Ohms specifications between the late Bay and Vanagon 2.0 AFMS are almost identical - indicating a plausible swap, which it is.

Buggeee wrote:
Just one more thing.... (Columbo fans?)

I have a rebuilt AFM for my vanagon on its way from Bust Depot.

In the meantime a friend gave me a spare 1977 Bay Bus AFM and it works on my Vanagon.

Here is picture to keep people's attention.

That is the 1977 Bay Bus AFM sitting on my Vanagon so you can see the exterior dimensions are the same. Its a direct swap, physically.

Now here's some boring words for the readers...

I'm not just popping things in like Legos because they fit. Some research was undertaken. Nothing I could find on the Samba, or anywhere, had real world attestation or authority cited for support - other than a vague rumor in one post somewhere that dude at an AFM manufacturer told some dude you could use a Bay Bus AFM in a Vanagon. So I cracked out the books.

The Vanagon Bentley has a string of numbers for a string of multi-meter Ohms readings across variations of the 7 pins of the AFM. My AFM was fine for all readings - at rest.

But when performing the sweep test of the air valve thingy (...or "potentiometer", which consists of watching the readings as the flap is rotated slowly from closed to open) my AFM was way out of spec. I was getting from zero to 1,600 Ohms, hopping up and down all over the place as it slowly swept open. Don't have Bentley in front of me right now but the variations should a have stayed within 40 to 800 or something like that (check your book this is a discussion). My AFM is toast, due to an arc shaped scratch wearing into the resistance material on the circuit board.

The AFM also has a built in temperature sensor. In the Vanagon, and for Bay Buses from 1977 and onward, the built in temperature sensor has its own pin within the connection. As a result, the Vanagon AFM is a seven pin connector. The Bay Bus AFM from 1977 onward is a seven pin connector. All the pins are numbered the same in both AFMs. So, twins there too.

Bentley for the Bay Bus has multi-meter Ohms test sequence for the Bay Bus AFM. It is less thoroughly documented than in Bentley for Vanagon. It does, however, have readings for the potentiometer sweep test, and the numbers specified in both books are exactly the same. Match.

One number is different. The Bay Bus temperature sensor maximum (I think maybe 2,500 check your book) is slightly lower than the specified maximum for the Vanagon (I think maybe 2,800 check your book). Close.

I'm sure there are other differences not documented, like maybe tuning the richness or maybe even the weight of springs in the flap? I'm just guessing. Maybe they are exact. Maybe not. They are different part numbers after all. Really, I don't care, and here is why: IT WORKS.

Here is a picture proving conclusively everything I attest to. LOL.

There it is, 1977 Bay Bus AFM in a 1983 aircooled Vanagon, running me all over town! And running pretty good too I might add. Steady highway, stop light idling, acceleration/deceleration. Good, good and... good. Cold start. Good. Hot start. Good.

I still have the correct part number reman Vanagon AFM on its way, and will install it.

But, during this intermediate apocalypse, I am on the road. If it was all I could get I'd be satisfied right now.

Keep on Buggin' Very Happy

It worked great!!!!! The van drove much better. Wow, a different vehicle. (But, still intermittent gremlins when warm at mid throttle acceleration)

And no, that is not the AFM madness I alluded to. WAIT FOR IT. I have a contribution to the AFM quest that is really cool beans...

More to come.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

If the front rotors are within spec, and pads-rotors are in otherwise good condition, maybe using the brakes will clean up the rotor surfaces?

Is that HF brake bleed tool a gravity feed or is that a vacuum type device pulling fluid through?

I don't know if Van-cafe et al still have these but new rear brake back plates might still be available. As you know, they can rust out. I guess the rust would have to be pretty advanced to pose any real potential problem but rust perforation is an easy thing to overlook.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
If the front rotors are within spec, and pads-rotors are in otherwise good condition, maybe using the brakes will clean up the rotor surfaces?

Is that HF brake bleed tool a gravity feed or is that a vacuum type device pulling fluid through?

I don't know if Van-cafe et al still have these but new rear brake back plates might still be available. As you know, they can rust out. I guess the rust would have to be pretty advanced to pose any real potential problem but rust perforation is an easy thing to overlook.

Neil.

The tool is a vacuum type pulling the fluid through. It connects to my air compressor.

Yes for now the front discs are stopping fine. I'll see how they wear in over time, hopefully smoothly. The backing plates in the rear are in very good shape. I think this van was only driven in the summertime, advantage for a camper.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

That's pretty cool that you took one for the team with your AFM experiment. I was idly thinking about this over the past couple of years. The AFM is married to a 2.0 air cooled engine, so it seems plausible that they should interchange. But, as you know, there are several different part numbers for these.

So the Vanagaon air-cooled engine does have a couple more engine management controls than the 1977-1978 model Baywindows, but I never studied the parts, electrical plans or anything else to try to find the differences. There is even a different AFM for California emissions Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

I have a couple vanagon AFMS. Cali and federal spec, each. Hit me up if your interested Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Just made it through from start to finish and I am signed up for updates. Great read Buggee. For now, I can live vicariously through you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

I was alive to witness the birth of Pong.

I cut my teeth on Atari, Space Invaders... and Asteroids.

But when my best friend and I stumbled Sonic the Hedgehog into a secret tube, accidentally, and found the wealth of a hidden world....Pling, Pling... Pling, Pling, Pling... Oh the Feeling! THE FEELING!!!!

Nothing beats the visceral feeling of an honest to goodness HACK!

Is everybody in? Everybody in? The ceremony is about to begin...

Yute of today say WTF?

Oh, yah... I'm going full-on Taboo for this one... Early 80's Chrysler/Renault!!! Go puke if you have to. Get it out now.

Back? O.k.

Do not attempt to exit until the ride comes to a complete stop.

Looky dis

What is that? What can it be?

You have no idea.

Check it.

Huh? Never expected Bosch at this party did you? Have to stay up late and get out once in a while. Don't be disappointed in your precious and pure disciplined backbone of German manufacturing. Bosch is a MONSTER. Bosch is everywhere. Bosch is even in early Eighties sh!tboxes like the 1981 - 1983 Renault Fuego R18i.

And Chrysler and AMC and Renault used the last of the free-swinging neighbor's-wife-swapping mood that could be found in the 1980s to exchange enough dna ladden fluid to result in this NOS 1981 1982 1983 Renault Fuego R18i Bosch Air Flow Sensor Meter T06 79443 dp showing up on my doorstep in an AMC/Jeep/Renault/Mopar/Chrysler Motors Genuine Parts box!!!

Dirty pictures has a new meaning now doesn't it. I am not ashamed. Look at this one.

Yep. Thats seven pins Peeps. Seven. And... they are numbered like this gem served as the model for a picture in Bentley Orange.

Don't look at me like that. Here's this for your pipe and smoke it:

Oh yeah Cool That's the part number for the AFM on my 1983 Vanagon Air-cooled 2.0, except the last digit is a 7 instead an 8.

So now that your are looking a bit pekid and starting to sway, you better have a seat.

Lets check this out together.

Yep, bottom looks good nuf

Throat's the same.

Idle air screw is an allen key instead of slotted. So?

But the air cleaner attaches differently in France it seems... so let's just fix that

SnowDaySyncro wrote:

Last edited by Buggeee on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Still here? Good.

I ran the multimeter tests on this room-temperatured Made in Germany stow-away. All of them. From Bently Orange.

The passive tests were very close, like 100 ohms above the targets in our world. The sweep test was consistently 200 - 300 ohms above the targets. But, it was consistent.

This is a brand new NOS never been used AFM. I found two NOS AFMs for Vanagons. None were for my Van. Both were 400 to 600 dollars (each). My order for a rebuilt AFM from Bus Depot was cancelled by them because they were out of them and it would be four weeks after I mailed mine in to get it back at a couple hundred PLUS shipping PLUS an initial core charge, to be refunded later (but its mine though). I started the quest for an alternative. I got this one for a hundred and thirty bucks delivered to my door. (Apparently there is not a cult of wackos swallowing up all the parts for an early eighties Renault Sh!tbox. Rebuilt AFMs for this are all over Ebay for $89 - no core).

Did I say it was brand new? It is brand new.

So I went without protection and just stuck it in there.

Then I drove that thing aaaaaaaaall around town.

It was fine. It was non-eventful. It was a bit rich.

That's from my tail pipe when I stopped at Target for some household items.

So when I got it home I broke the seal and took a look:

Familiar? Yep. I thought so too.

So I dove into the AFM tuning procedure found here:

https://itinerant-air-cooled.com//viewtopic.php?t=7761

I found that my brand new (love saying it) AFM was consistently rich accross the whole sweep. That was good! If it was rich only at the higher RPMs then I'd be messing with the spring tension. If it was rich only at the lower RPMs than I'd be messing with the idle air-screw. Because it was equally rich accross the sweep, I simply had to loosen the screw and adjust the position of the contact arm, like so.

It took a little more than an eighth of an inch movement clockwise in the arm to settle it in to the "edge of lean" as suggested in the Itinerant Air-cooled procedure. So, when done, at idle the RPMs would just begin to drop off when I pushed the arm to the lean/clockwise direction, but would not do much of anything to the RPMs for a good quarter to 3/8 of an inch to the rich/counter-clockwise direction.

Using the lingo of the Itinerant, my AFM had been on the edge of rich as installed out of the box, and I adjusted the arm to the edge of lean. Shoving a screwdriver into the throttle to hold the motor at a consistent 3,000 rpm, it held at the edge of lean up there as well... consistent across the whole sweep.

Then I took it for another run around town... and on the highway... and around town... and around the block...

POWER. Yep. Crisp, confident, athletic... um, well maybe not athletic. It is a Vanagon. But this is the best this engine has performed so far. Better than the original worn Vanagon AFM. Better than the in-spec Bay Bus AFM. Noticibly better. Like pulls up the hill on the highway moving the speedo to the right rather than just maintaining the number. Not in the mind, in the gauges. Better. And shipped for a Renault. LOL.

Pling, Pling.... Pling, Pling, Pling. Shocked Very Happy Cool

For the web-crawlers (Google this is your cue) I offer the following:

Vanagon Aircooled 2.0 AMF Air Flow Meter Mass Air Flow Sensor Replacement Alternative Substitute Repair 1981 1982 1983 Renault Fuego R18i Bosch Air Flow Sensor Meter T06 79443 dp

P.S. For those staying after the credits to enjoy the music, the Gremlin has yet to be nabbed. Still an intermittent cut and stumble at mid throttle acceleration after its really warmed up. Stay tuned.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:

Last edited by Buggeee on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Outstanding!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Might want to recheck that, you should want it on the rich edge to lower head temps per Colin’s direction unless I am much mistaken. Not rich that it’s pig rich, but the rich edge to lower temps a bit. Lean means hot Wink I could be wrong but I’d rather be wrong then see you burn it up because I didn’t say something...

You said you solved the mis but haven’t told us yet? My bet is a plug wire or a loose contact. Just to toss out a likely incorrect guess...!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Are you wearing a suit for this unpacking?

I heart this thread. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Might want to recheck that, you should want it on the rich edge to lower head temps per Colin’s direction unless I am much mistaken. Not rich that it’s pig rich, but the rich edge to lower temps a bit. Lean means hot Wink I could be wrong but I’d rather be wrong then see you burn it up because I didn’t say something...

You said you solved the mis but haven’t told us yet? My bet is a plug wire or a loose contact. Just to toss out a likely incorrect guess...!

You'll have to wait to find out but I am glad someone is playing predict the Gremlin!

On the AFM. Here... I'll quote him, not to be a d!ck, but to let you know you did good by me and I checked again:

"At idle, if the wiper moves 1/4 CCW and a 1/4 CW with no change in rpm, you'd think we were in the sweet spot, but we want it slightly leaner than that. We want the engine at the edge of lean, but not into the lean."

So when I did mine I made sure I was not "into the lean" but relative to the space within the sweet spot, I'm towards the edge where it would drop into lean if you went much further. Where it was before I was towards the rich edge of the sweet spot and there was all that soot, plus visible black smoke when revving it so that was too rich by much. This runs great now on this tuning of this AFM.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Are you wearing a suit for this unpacking?

I heart this thread. Thanks.

The French are into fashion so...

(and thank you!)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

You'll have to wait to find out but I am glad someone is playing predict the Gremlin!

On the AFM. Here... I'll quote him, not to be a d!ck, but to let you know you did good by me and I checked again:

"At idle, if the wiper moves 1/4 CCW and a 1/4 CW with no change in rpm, you'd think we were in the sweet spot, but we want it slightly leaner than that. We want the engine at the edge of lean, but not into the lean."

So when I did mine I made sure I was not "into the lean" but relative to the space within the sweet spot, I'm towards the edge where it would drop into lean if you went much further. Where it was before I was towards the rich edge of the sweet spot and there was all that soot, plus visible black smoke when revving it so that was too rich by much. This runs great now on this tuning of this AFM.

....goes and adjusts a few things on personal engine....

Laughing

No hard feelings at all, I guess it’s been a while since I read through it last.

So lean is to the ccw if you were to nudge the wiper correct? And lean to the rich side?

Forget it I’ll go read it all again tonight ...thanks for the homework!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

This exceeds excellence by a large margin, capital theta.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: