Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

HTF do you get the bones out of those perch?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
...perch into merch

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
HTF do you get the bones out of those perch?

Lmao! Yes, well many many moons ago my many minions and missus and I got into 215 perch in a matter of two days. She pulled out a cleaning procedure from memories of watching her father, and I spent hours upon hours playing with the fillet knife with her memories guiding us. When it works, the fillet is out and the rest of the fish is all connected in one piece plus a loose rib cage, which are then swept off the table into a can in a quick methodical dance. Good eating those perch. Smile

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Damn, that looks yummy!!! Guitars are cool, too! Cool

Something for the campfire right? One of the kids brought bongos this trip as well, lots of fun.

vwhammer wrote:
Dang it!.
Every time I start to relax and tell myself there's no rush with my build you go and post all the fun you're having in your van.
This cranks me right back into beast mode.

I don't know whether to curse you or thank you.

Hey Hammer I guess that's because I'm leaving the engineered suspension, engine/tranny conversion, custom LION power pack for later (I haven't even installed the gas heater yet! Rolling Eyes ) Wow you are definitely going about your build in the right way and I expect to see your finished show worthy ride at this winter's Auto-Rama Piston Power Show at the IX Center. Mine is only getting what she needs, as she needs it, to keep the mule moving. If I live long enough the lipstick will be part of the promise.

mikemtnbike wrote:
If you caught all those perch paddling around a lake in a kayak after mountain biking...it doesn't get any better than that. Well done.

I did! It doesn't! (There is some time for fishing if you're not busting out 100k or catching enough air to break frames Mike lol).

erste wrote:
...so much character. Cool ...looks so cool being pulled by a vanagon.

termuehlen wrote:
Buggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...you tease! When are you gonna show us the inside of that Playpac? How did it ever survive this long, yet still look like new on the outside? It is just so fantastic. You just happened to find it on craigslist? Come on, give us poor folk a little more, would ya!

I feel the same way. This PlayPac is a gem dropped into place by divine grace really. I've got a build thread for it over on a fiberglass egg forum and there's a link in my signature below if you'd like a tour. Wink

Eric_Taylor wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
...that's what happened once I got my van up and running/travelling.
Buggeee wrote:
Another long road trip for the Vanagon and Playpac. This is by far the most useful VW I have ever owned. Very Happy

Agreed. ...It also helps justify the expense of keeping them going when you're actually using them for recreation. This is one of the things I love most about the van.

I don't get any grief at all when boxes of parts arrive for this one. Even non-addicted onlookers have taken time to comment about how smart these things are. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Here is the RIGHT way to fix a hole in the rear wall screen of your Westy Vanagon.

This is a picture of the offending hole located right at the center of all of the folding creases.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a picture of the correct parts that will be needed. Two Sasquatch patches, preferably one that has hook backing and the other that is iron on (although two iron-ons will work in a pinch if you're stuck out in the field when this happens to you as the smooth iron-on backing accepts the glued velcro circles), along with some self-adhering circular velcro crafty things from the crafty store that your wife drags you to once in awhile.

Here are the backs of the two Sasquatch patches with the velcro hook on one and the velcro loop on the other. Pause to enjoy this moment as things are about to get serious.

Carefully now, position them over the hole from the opposite sides of the screen. Please, no one needs to get hurt, position them carefully so that Sasquatch is leaning slightly forward as he lifts his rear foot in the traditional jaunt across the wooded clearing. Now quickly, before he disappears, smash them together.

A view from the inside as you rest in relaxation and from the outside where Sasquatch sees his mirror image deciding not to enter your Vanagon tonight.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Sasquatch glory hole! Looks about the right height... Liar
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

So it seems I have totally neglected this thread because I don't have anything on here about the jealousy windows I installed, which was a cool project last year, or the inexpensive canopy, or probably some other knick-knacks. I'm going to look for those pictures and be back to post them if my maker is willing.

This year progress has stalled completely on this mule because there's no camping this year yet. Ordinarily I would have already had a few weekends under the belt by now but we're just staying at home and I'm sanding my Super Beetle project to stay sane.

Today though I got tired of staring at that caved in driver's side, because it made me sad, for a reminder here is the before picture, from an earlier post.

Again, it made me sad to look at it, and I don't need any additional challenges making me decide to think about puppies to straighten the road.

So I took this $30 air-compressor-driven-plunger-slide-hammer thing that I bought from harbor freight last year and got it out of the box. Here I am making short work popping that panel back out. That bottom edge is still all goofed up and I have the replacement panel for that when I do the rust repair, but at least the stuff above is relatively straight again so I can tackle it when I get the itch to pull out the kitchen.

Ah... Balance restored.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
...I don't have anything on here about the jealousy windows I installed...

Do you call them that because after you bought and installed the windows and told your wife the cost, your wife said she hated the van because you love it more than you love her?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
So it seems I have totally neglected this thread because I don't have anything on here about the jealousy windows I installed, which was a cool project last year, or the inexpensive canopy, or probably some other knick-knacks. I'm going to look for those pictures and be back to post them if my maker is willing.

This year progress has stalled completely on this mule because there's no camping this year yet. Ordinarily I would have already had a few weekends under the belt by now but we're just staying at home and I'm sanding my Super Beetle project to stay sane.

Today though I got tired of staring at that caved in driver's side, because it made me sad, for a reminder here is the before picture, from an earlier post.

Again, it made me sad to look at it, and I don't need any additional challenges making me decide to think about puppies to straighten the road.

So I took this $30 air-compressor-driven-plunger-slide-hammer thing that I bought from harbor freight last year and got it out of the box. Here I am making short work popping that panel back out. That bottom edge is still all goofed up and I have the replacement panel for that when I do the rust repair, but at least the stuff above is relatively straight again so I can tackle it when I get the itch to pull out the kitchen.

Ah... Balance restored.
Wow, great improvement. And yes, I still cringe at seeing that dent you got . So lousy that you had to endure that after all the work you'd previously put in ot the Westy
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
...I don't have anything on here about the jealousy windows I installed...

Do you call them that because after you bought and installed the windows and told your wife the cost, your wife said she hated the van because you love it more than you love her?

Mainly because I can't spell jalousie. Lol. This is the one VW in the herd she actually does like. Very Happy It takes us fishing, and that's the one place she would always rather be. I am a lucky dog.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Thejoshsweeney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread thus far! Thank you for the journey.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Only on a Vanagon can you find total rust-through penetration right smack in the middle of a side panel, with no other serious problems anywhere else on the vehicle.

F#$@%$%^ stupida%# M@#$#$F@#$#@$#$% insulation.

WHICH DOES NOTHING POSITIVE.

But positively causes rust. Just lays there soggy, collecting more condensation and any small leaks. Making rust like it is its job.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
maueman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Only on a Vanagon can you find total rust-through penetration right smack in the middle of a side panel, with no other serious problems anywhere else on the vehicle.

F#$@%$%^ stupida%# M@#$#$F@#$#@$#$% insulation.

WHICH DOES NOTHING POSITIVE.

But positively causes rust. Just lays there soggy, collecting more condensation and any small leaks. Making rust like it is its job.

My 1983 air cooled Subie 2.5 conversion is rusting in the same place, Not as bad as this on the outside.
I took out the none working fridge and everything on the floor behind the fridge and cabinets is rusted out about 3 feet of floor.. Will be pulling them out this winter to replace the floor... but darn it, it sure runs great now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Well, I can honestly say that this Air-Cooled Vanagon was hated by all, but loved by me... and it was the most useful air-cooled VW, or most useful vehicle of any kind for that matter - so long as I had a use for it.

During the period of the covid lockdown, however, the last of my kids that were interested in camping with their parents aged out of having any interest in camping with their parents. Apparently, life was calling. Wink

That left me and the missus. And the missus hated the Air-Cooled Vanagon. It is truly hated by all, but loved by me.

So, I found the odd thing to do with my precious here or there. Like... here she is waiting me to eat my lunch in civilized comfort while traveling for work.

Ultimately, however, she caught on to my efforts at creating purpose and it was time for us to say farewell.

Closing my thread on the one VW that I, and only I, and nobody else on the face of the earth from the beginning of time to the end of days, truly love... here is a picture of her betrothed to a new caretaker.

Precious - May you find all the purpose and usefuleness you are capable of providing wherever the winds blow you (across lanes of the highway is my guess).

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Aww shucks! That sucks.

I'm guessing that you will start a new thread on the next bus you buy, eventually... once it gets in your blood, it will never truly end.

Hope to see you sooner than later!

Good luck out there in the Blue.

-bobby
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Bummer, I think my wife would file for divorce if I sold our Vanagon or the Whaler. She's a keeper.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

And so it goes...

Darn, this was consistently one of my favorite threads. I didnkt realize how much I missed it until I saw it again. Wink

Happy travels with the next vehicle hated by all.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

My brothers... I haven't passed into the great beyond. Laughing

I have a pile of air-cooleds in various states of insanity and even a token MK1 Cabrio.

My Splitty Bus Camper thread is in my signature below, along with a couple other threads on the smaller cars.

Bug-on Peeps!!!

p.s. The activity in this Vanagon crowd is fantastic. Everybody and their brother points over here for the diesel heater thread, for example.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Aww dang, always sucks to see it go but it sounds like you're still well stocked in VW madness Razz

Makes me glad my wife says ours is one of the kids (Even though its older than I am, I'm not sure how THAT works) and selling it would be like selling our children. Its part of the family forever.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Wait... I missed something. Did you name the Westy 'Precious' ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: My Aircooled Vanagon: Hated by All, Loved by Buggeee Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Wait... I missed something. Did you name the Westy 'Precious' ?

It's a term of endearment for whatever aircooled I happen to be doting on at the moment... as an acknowledgment to the outsider's view of my obsessive preoccupation with my aircooled - ala Golum and his "precious" ring as appearing in the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy. Magnificent literature. As consuming as a Stephen King adventure, but without the abuse of your mind by the author.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: