Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

This is on a super beetle.
Tar board?
Best way to remove in 45 degree weather?
Should I even try and save them?
When I buy new ones do I install with a heat gun?

Drains in the floor pans? Any advise on good ones that don't clog? Or make my own with regular grommets and rubber tubing? I'd like them to be flush not raised up so I don't have an 1/8 inch of water sitting.
It seams like the I should install some drain grommets that will let water out, but not in from the road.
Obvious places are the low spots, but since the low spot differs from how the car is parked I will place them under the rear seat, the low spot under the front seat and as far up front as I can get them.

Now the Heater channel bottom plate? (this is on a 71 super beetle if that matters) Do I even need this? It is mostly Swiss cheese and looks like it acts like a rain gutter soaking my heater channel. Could I remove it and just treat the exposed areas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Alright... Whats the deal with this tar stuff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

If you can get heat from a Heat Gun on the mating side you might be able to reuse them. As I remember , they are like tar covered foam.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
If you can get heat from a Heat Gun on the mating side you might be able to reuse them. As I remember , they are like tar covered foam.

You mean heat the underneath of the car?

Also, I'm gonna rust bullet the pan and want to get all the residue off. . How tricky is it to remove the residue?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Quote:
You mean heat the underneath of the car?

Yes:

What is the particular 'residue' in question?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
This is on a super beetle.
Tar board?
Best way to remove in 45 degree weather?
Should I even try and save them?
When I buy new ones do I install with a heat gun?

Drains in the floor pans? Any advise on good ones that don't clog? Or make my own with regular grommets and rubber tubing? I'd like them to be flush not raised up so I don't have an 1/8 inch of water sitting.
It seams like the I should install some drain grommets that will let water out, but not in from the road.
Obvious places are the low spots, but since the low spot differs from how the car is parked I will place them under the rear seat, the low spot under the front seat and as far up front as I can get them.

Now the Heater channel bottom plate? (this is on a 71 super beetle if that matters) Do I even need this? It is mostly Swiss cheese and looks like it acts like a rain gutter soaking my heater channel. Could I remove it and just treat the exposed areas?

So you basically have two choices with the tarboards, heat or cold. Cold works better and is less messy. One guy used dry ice and chipped the tarboard stuff off. I unfortunately did it in the Summer, and it was a gooey mess. I used a putty knife and hammer and just chiseled the stuff off. Then I used paint and tar remover with lots of rags to get off the leftover tar and residue. Just a shitty job all around!

I'm not a fan of purposely putting holes in my pan. I'd rather fix the source of the water. Stock VW's didn't come with drain holes in their pans as far as I know, and neither do the replacement pans.

The heater channel bottom plate has the captive nuts that the pans bolts up to and attaches the body to the pan with, pretty sure you want those. I've replaced those bottom plates.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

You can heat up the edge of a scraper and use that method but it fatigues the metal of the tool so you have to use a high quality one or at least keep a back up or two.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Yes you need the heater channel bottom plates. It's what holds up the floorpans.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
jimmy smallren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

I found that xylene melts away tar board quite well, and would suggest giving it a try.........
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Different sizes of metal putty knives, a hammer, a wire wheel, steel brush, alcohol or acetone, and celebrate the big pieces. I never used supplemented heat or ice, and never had it turn messy, just frustrating.
Your 45deg weather should be fine.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Actually the rust worked in my favor here because the large one under the seat just came up in one piece. The rest just left a little residue. I got it up with mineral spirits and endless running.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Pulling all the tar board up. Should I replace with stock board? Reply with quote

I gotta pull it all up before I install the carpet.
The two pieces I pulled up revealed a pretty rusted, but salvageable floor pan.
Which I de-rusted and treated with rust bullet and glass.
I'm pretty sure I'll get more water in there because I know my pan seal is not sealing properly.
I think installing the rear fender seals would go a long way to stop the water, but I'm swapping out the rear fenders over the winter and will install then.

But back to the tar board...

Should I replace with stock?
On the one hand they are nice and thick. BUT! It looks like the stock allows any water to flow under it along the grooves in the pan.
then again Stock would keep my carpet dry if I installed drains holes.
But... I could install the peel and seal from Lowes and I think that would sound proof more.. I installed in the luggage area and under the rear seat. It's relatively easy to work with and goes down pretty evenly with a heat gun. But then again they would be really hard to get up if I needed to treat my pan again in 5 years.

I don't know.

What are you guys using?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

I have cotton padding under the carpets in my squareback, so moisture can evaporate.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Wouldn't that just make it soggy mess?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

So, you need someone to explain 'evaporate' for you? Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
So, you need someone to explain 'evaporate' for you? Laughing

Ha ha HA!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tar board? Drains in the floor pans?Heater channel bottom plate? Reply with quote

I doubt your pan seal is the water leak?
Usually front cooling air vents & windows for Type 3 water leaks.
We are using dry ice first & then heat/thinner.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: