Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi-Ho Silver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Eurovan MV. When fueling, the fuel comes back up the filler pipe & trips the gas pump, shutting it off. At times it can take 15 mins to put in 15 gallons. Is there a fuel tank vent that’s not working properly? Help! Thank you.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

I wonder if your charcoal canister is clogged up.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tweeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

As I understand it if the tank is overfilled it can dump gas in the canister. With some luck and time it might dry out before you have to tear into things.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I wonder if your charcoal canister is clogged up.

Almost surely this is the issue. You can also check your purge valve which is right behind the throttle body. I have the same issue, my purge valve was full of raw gas, replacing it helped but I still have some filling issues. I fill the last half of the tank cautiously. I also always consider how much I expect to be putting in and either stop before its totally full and never "top it off".

My van came from Oregon, the PO had replaced the purge valve at least once. I'm convinced with Oregon's F'd law requiring a station attendant to fill your vehicle, they routinely over fill causing the charcoal canister to saturate. Ironically there are stickers on the pumps saying its against the law to "top off/overfill". One of our first road trips through OR in our 2002, the attendant overfilled my tank; my window was down and he was about 3 feet away, I repeatedly asked him to stop yet he just kept on topping it off, about 4-5 times. The next fill, outside of OR, it took 10-15 minutes to fill my tank. That's when I replaced the purge valve which was full of raw gas. For better or worse, I blew a little low pressure air backward in the line from the purge valve to the tank with the gas cap off; this seemed to help a little but could have just been a coincidence.

One of these days, I plan on removing the charcoal vapor canister, cutting it open and refreshing the charcoal.
marshy11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

I've had this problem. Like others mentioned, it happens when your charcoal canister is clogged.

This can happen from filling up beyond the first "click" automatic shutoff of the pump nozzle, and from filling up while your engine is running.

My solution was to keep the tank below 1/2 full for maybe 1K miles. Providing your purge valve is working properly and the innards of the charcoal canister haven't disintegrated, it will slowly dry out the charcoal.

The other solution is to change the charcoal canister out for a new one.

Your issue can also happen when the evap vent valve is stuck or clogged, but I'm pretty sure that will throw a code.
FredericB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty fueling 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

Quote:
My solution was to keep the tank below 1/2 full for maybe 1K miles

I've been having the same issue lately so I will try that trick and see if that fixes it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: