Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes!
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

So I posted earlier about lost keys for my, "new to me" 1970 914 4.
As promised. Here's a few pics from when we picked up the car from the seller today.
We were trying to beat the weather. So I have no more photo's. Other than when the car was on the trailer for the short trip to my house.
The interior is in pretty good shape considering that it's 48yo.
Sorry no pics of the interior. I'll get them when the weather clears a bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More pics in the following post.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

More pics,

One more after these.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

The last one.
I have the 914 all tucked away for the rainy night. If the weather clears later this week. I'll get some interior shots too.

The car comes with 5 rally wheels. So that's kinda cool.

The right door has a tight gap at the "B" pillar. Slight folded chassis? Due to the hell hole rot? IDK, never owned a 914.

I'd really like to find out if the crankshaft turns. I just need to figure out. Where I can gain access to the crankshaft center bolt. If there is one.

Sorry guy's. I don't have a manual yet.
This car was an impulse buy.
So I'm a bit short on information for this "foreign" to me car.

I'll update this thread as I discover new things and repair what I perceive is just not right.

Thanks for reading on here.
This, for me, is gonna be a wild ride into a 914 education.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Been in VW for quite a while now. The wife’s 914 is a learning curve. But fun for sure.
Reinstalled motor for first time today. Always remember your first.

Enjoy.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Been in VW for quite a while now. The wife’s 914 is a learning curve. But fun for sure.

Enjoy.

I read your entire build thread. Good information for a 914 rookie.

I have miles to go on my build. Might be PMing you for advice.

Good job on your wife's car.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Mikedrevguy wrote:

Enjoy.

I read your entire build thread. Good information for a 914 rookie.

I have miles to go on my build. Might be PMing you for advice.

Good job on your wife's car.

Thanks for the kind words.
. Pm me anytime.
Mike.
Ps, she hopes to have it at Woodburn’s NW Bug Run next summer.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Last edited by Mikedrevguy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

So I had a break in the rain this afternoon.

I changed the gas....er oil or whatever that crap was that drained out of the crankcase. It ran like water, smelled like gas and there was very little viscous fluid present.
This is a very foreboding discovery.
I need to see if I can get a socket on the crank pulley. To attempt rotating the crankshaft, before I get too far into the car.

I also finally got a fairly good look at the passenger side rocker, jack doughnut, motor mount, bottom side of the hell hole. I have my work cut out for me.
The inside and outside rockers are gone. I mean gone. Nothing there!
The jacking doughnut is gone too. As well as the body support forward of the doughnut.
Oh yea, the passenger side jack point is gone too.
So I'm looking at some serious surgery on the passenger side of the car to get the strength back into the uni-body.

Oh well. Just more fab work in my future.

Thank you for reading!

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

It is always the right side that gets it first because of the leaking battery and then on top of that the salty debris that packs under the rocker. Thankfully early on we made all of the repair parts to complete reconstruct the area. We have saved many many many 914s rusted in this area over the years.

A good book to tell you what you are getting yourself into is the "tech tips 700" 150 page illustrated book telling about all of the 914 quirks, how to some elusive problems, and very well organized from engine to electrical just like the factory parts manual. Also the 150 page autoatlanta 914 catalog is a must if you still like printed catalogs

67rustavenger wrote:
So I had a break in the rain this afternoon.

I changed the gas....er oil or whatever that crap was that drained out of the crankcase. It ran like water, smelled like gas and there was very little viscous fluid present.
This is a very foreboding discovery.
I need to see if I can get a socket on the crank pulley. To attempt rotating the crankshaft, before I get too far into the car.

I also finally got a fairly good look at the passenger side rocker, jack doughnut, motor mount, bottom side of the hell hole. I have my work cut out for me.
The inside and outside rockers are gone. I mean gone. Nothing there!
The jacking doughnut is gone too. As well as the body support forward of the doughnut.
Oh yea, the passenger side jack point is gone too.
So I'm looking at some serious surgery on the passenger side of the car to get the strength back into the uni-body.

Oh well. Just more fab work in my future.

Thank you for reading!
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Due to the cooling fan on the visible end of the crank, there is no place to attach a big socket and turn the crank like other VW engines. Maybe put in gear and rock car back and forth to see if the engine is seized. I'd put Mystery oil in plug holes first and let sit a few days before doing.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Could jack rear end up on stands so both rear wheels are off ground. Block one wheel, Put in gear (5th seems to be the go to gear). Turning the unblocked wheel will see if motor is able to cycle through.

Good luck.
69 Bwajaja

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Could jack rear end up on stands so both rear wheels are off ground. Block one wheel, Put in gear (5th seems to be the go to gear). Turning the unblocked wheel will see if motor is able to cycle through.

Good luck.

That works great...but in reality...just put it in the gear that works best for you and jack one wheel off the ground and leave the other one on the ground...and that blocks the wheel Wink

I use this technique for winding the engine around in fine increments when adjusting valves.

On my 412...3rd gear works best for easy leverage....but its a 4 speed. On a 914...yep..either 4th or 5th would be equivalent.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

We had another weather break yesterday.
So I removed the spark plugs, put the car in gear and tried to get the engine to turn just a little. Maybe I did it incorrectly. But it does appear to be locked up.
I'll try again today. Using your recommendations.

The engine is gonna have to come out anyway. To fix the rot on the passenger side.

I now have a Haynes manual. So at least I can quit asking dumb questions.
Dr, thanks for the book recommendation.
Oh, and I do like printed catalogs.
So I'll order one and get a better idea of how to restructure the right side of the car.

Thanks all.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
We had another weather break yesterday.
So I removed the spark plugs, put the car in gear and tried to get the engine to turn just a little. Maybe I did it incorrectly. But it does appear to be locked up.
I'll try again today. Using your recommendations.

The engine is gonna have to come out anyway. To fix the rot on the passenger side.

I now have a Haynes manual. So at least I can quit asking dumb questions.
Dr, thanks for the book recommendation.
Oh, and I do like printed catalogs.
So I'll order one and get a better idea of how to restructure the right side of the car.

Thanks all.

Did you lift one wheel clear of the ground? And...was the parking brake off?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you lift one wheel clear of the ground? And...was the parking brake off?

No. I didn't read your post until this morning.
I'll give it a try later today and report back my findings.

Thank you for the advice Ray.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New 70 914 owner, Let's see where this goes! Reply with quote

I haven't done much of anything to the 914.
The top latches were sprayed with some penetrating oil. That has helped get things freed up. A small win for a car that was neglected by the P.O.'s

As I mentioned earlier. Parts of the car have been plasti-dipped. Namely the Targa top. Under the plasti-dip is a layer of silver paint. And who knows what's under that.
The plasti-dip peels off a bit. But due to the roughened texture of the original top. It is a bitch to get off.
Would it be safe to remove the plasti-dip with some naphtha? I don't want to soften the top material by using the wrong product.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: