Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake drums from JBugs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Rear brake drums from JBugs Reply with quote

I need to replace a rear brake drum, and am wondering about the Taiwanese drums sold by JBugs. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks in advance...
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drums from JBugs Reply with quote

Personally, I have not. But just two weeks ago I was talking to a local VW shop owner (working on Air cooked for 40+years) and he was telling me a story of a customer that bought rear brake drums from Asian, most likely China, for a Ghia. The rear drum split apart and part of the drum jammed into a place that froze the wheel, somewhere between the wheel and axel. Sooooo take that for what’s its worth. Prob doesn’t answer your question, but I’d stay away from anything not German or Italian....
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drums from JBugs Reply with quote

The Sebro (German) drums are very nice. They are slightly different than stock because they redesigned the reinforcing webbing between the splines and the lug bolts. Personally, I think it makes them stronger than stock, but hard to really say.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake drums from JBugs Reply with quote

I just couldn't spend $250 on a German rear hub, so bought the replacement hub from The Thing Shop for (only) $115. So far, all seems well.
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: