Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhodgson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

I got my spring plates re-indexed at last. Thanks for the help.

Now all I need is to get some drive to those wheels.

The stock CV joints don't seem to quite cut it in terms of travel, so after reading many posts I got myself some type 2 conversion flanges for the transmission side and some type 2 CV joints and disassembled my stock axles.

When I went to put the works together, though, Lo and behold, the type 2 CV joints are a couple of mils too big to fit the stock bug axles. I wouldn't be able to get the circlip on. Son of a monkey.

Should I grab the conversion stub axles for the wheel end and just run a type 2 drive axle end to end? If so, any idea where I can find the right length type 2 axle? My stock IRS bug axles are 16 3/8 long.

Or should I order some new shafts and run type 2 joints inboard and type 1 at the wheel? Like these shafts here: https://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac525201.html

If I go that route, should it worry me that the axles don't have shoulders on them like my stock type 1 ones do?

Or do I need type 4 axles?

So confused. Thanks again in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

Source some 1984 or earlier Porsche 924/944 C.V. joints, driveshafts, & axle stubs and then get bus-to-bug conversion output flanges for the transmission.
https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-16-2299-vw-convers...oint-pair/

Just out of curiosity, do you have any downward travel left in the suspension? It looks like it’s pretty topped out at the moment.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jhodgson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

I already have the bug to bus conversion flanges.

This is the first I've heard of 924 in this context. They're 100mm cv joints like the bus ones, I'm guessing?

Why those rather than the bus or 930? Thanks!
jhodgson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have any downward travel left in the suspension? It looks like it’s pretty topped out at the moment.

Going by my laser eyeball I'd say it's about as much as it was before I indexed the spring plates. There's not a ton, but not none.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

The 924/944 are 100mm but supposedly are able to withstand just a bit more angle than the Bus. The axles are the perfect length and the stubs are exactly what you need. I have more faith in the factory bits than any of the current Chinese conversion crap. You could source all of this from a Thing also but oddly enough, the used Porsche stuff can typically be found cheaper.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

Here's a link …
http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/axles_and_cvs.htm

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

jhodgson wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Going by my laser eyeball I'd say it's about as much as it was before I indexed the spring plates. There's not a ton, but not none.

If you didn't notch the spring plates, the you're probably topped out in travel.
Put a jack under the torsion housing, jack it up & see how much the car raises before the tire comes off the ground.

If its less than1-2" then you'll experience constant banging against the stop or topping the shock out. This can also lead to traction issues as the suspension will have more issues trying to keep the tires on the ground when the car crosses up on irregular surfaces.

jhodgson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

If you didn't notch the spring plates.

I did. I'm lucky in that I have the dual plates so I have extra strength for lots of notch. Like I said they have around the same sag as they had stock.

Not super worried about poor traction. Won't be doing any serious driving in this car except around the farm.

Dark Earth wrote:

Here's a link …
http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/axles_and_cvs.htm

Yeah there's a lot of info on there. Been looking at it for days.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SWAY-A-WAY center adjuster solves ALL the adjustment problems......just say'n

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

I think people run the stock axle without the clip.

I bought some SAW axles a long time ago so that's what i use, but i think they are the same length as stock. Only the splinse are longer and i'm pretty sure i don't have clips on them.

Empi makes a "race" type 2 cv that has i think a 21 Degree articulation. That's what i'm using. But the ones you have are going to be fine as long as they don t bind up at full droop.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 IRS bug with 3" lift. What drive axle? Reply with quote

what you need are Thing rear axles. they have longer splines to go with the Type 2 CV joints

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: