Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Preservation of Lori
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Yowza Yowza!!! You was grinnin' cause you was happier than Pavlov's dogs when a bell rings....

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....

Last edited by drpete on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
The tranny is loud as hell, and something binds up in reverse and seems to lock up one wheel. Worse if I am turning while backing. I can back up very slowly but something is binding/bumping in the drivetrain. Makes no noise. First time it did it, I though a real wheel had hit a log or something. (any ideas what it might be???)

My '61 Truck did that in first gear (tunnel case trans though).

The ring and pinion was missing a tooth or 2. Not sure what was locking up, maybe the broken off piece in there. It only happened every once in a while at low speeds.

I actually drove it for a while, until it got really bad. LOL

Yes on the lockout plate, it should be up and to the right:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It could be worn down?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MillerMachining
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Awesome John! Nice work, what a blitz! I want a ride!
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

MillerMachining wrote:
Awesome John! Nice work, what a blitz! I want a ride!

See you in a week or so, but if you want a ride, you'll have to come east. And you can DRIVE it. What a blast....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Just got back from a flight assignment, so I'm catching up on your thread.
Congratulations on the first real run around town!!! That's a big milestone! It's been fun to follow your craftsmanship and enthusiasm on your first Split-Bus experience! What a preservation! Great to see that old beast terrorizing the roads again...

You'll be at KP, no? See ya there in a week or so!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

John, here's your Single Cab's Atascadero cousin, out for a spin this evening. I finally replaced the whole distributor and off we went. Had been dinking around with changing the condenser, the coil...finally said I needed to just drive it. I'll figure out the problem in that old dizzy later. For now, just enjoying the sunset and thinking about RedBarn/KelleyPark next week. CHEERS!

Pete Keesling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

We'll be seeing you VERY soon Doc!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Passed inspection. Legal and legit now!

I ordered a custom magnetic "sticker" for the back of it, check it out in the pics.

So that re-do of the wiring harness. The main 8 gauge feed from the battery And another 8 gauge wire that goes up to the instruments has to fit in the single terminal at the bottom right of the fuse box. It is a bigger terminal/bore than the rest of the fuses, but OMG, trying to get those things in there!!?? You can see in the pics the cut-off piece of my first attempt. I did make it work by twisting the strands of both together, zip tying the wires together near the and to keep them from spreading apart, then soldering them together. Then I had to use the Dremel and a de-burring it to "carve" it a bit to get it to fit into the terminal block. So when I realized I was going to have to do this all over again.... I went looking for another solution.

In my stock of stuff I have to make split beetle wiring harnesses. I found a 3 wide terminal block with beefy brass connectors inside. So I drill out the rivets holding the plastic case on it, and extracted two of the brass blocks and screws. I tinned one side of each with solder, then held the tinned sides next to each other with a clamp, and heated it with a torch, quickly. Then using 3 of the four screws, I had the perfect "two to one" connector block. No pic, but I slipped 2 layers of heat shrink tubing over the connector when I was all done and heated it with a heat gun. Solid solution that can be taken apart later if needed.

I actually did the same thing for the "one to two" blocks needed for the SWF flasher turn signal wiring, but used the smaller blocks that came with the WW wiring kit.

I took the choke cable out to clean it up, and grease it. Interesting to find these tin "clamps" still holding the cable to the accelerator cable tube. Again, original details on this truck, and virtually nothing missing, hacked or modified.

The engine cover prop bracket was broken off. I got a complete prop with the truck and took the bracket off of it. Looking at pics in the gallery and classifieds to see what the proper orientation was, I see that this thing breaking off must be very common. So I opted to not to try to replicate the spot welds and instead welded the bracket around it's perimeter to the lid.

Questions:

How do I center the steering wheel so the spokes on the wheel are right and left when going straight? Mine is way off and the turn signal doesn't often cancel becasue of it. I took the wheel off thinking I'd just re-adjust it on the splines... then realized, duh, there are no splines. So how to adjust that? Unscrew the end on the drag link? Adjust tie rods?

I am missing the spring for the engine cover prop now. Is it the same as the prop on the treasure chest? Does it just slip on the bracket? I confess that I haven't studies it yet, looked for pics, etc...

So I am going to drain the tranny of oil for over week while I am away to the west coast for Kelly Park weekend. I will also set the timing with a strobe gun and check the points gap/dwell.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Passed inspection. Legal and legit now!

Great!

johnshenry wrote:
The engine cover prop bracket was broken off. I got a complete prop with the truck and took the bracket off of it. Looking at pics in the gallery and classifieds to see what the proper orientation was, I see that this thing breaking off must be very common. So I opted to not to try to replicate the spot welds and instead welded the bracket around it's perimeter to the lid.

Yes, the early ones break off really easily.

johnshenry wrote:
How do I center the steering wheel so the spokes on the wheel are right and left when going straight?

Drag link, turn the end by the steering box

johnshenry wrote:
I am missing the spring for the engine cover prop now. Is it the same as the prop on the treasure chest? Does it just slip on the bracket? I confess that I haven't studies it yet, looked for pics, etc...

Yes.

Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60185
Pic

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Excellent post John - great news. Excellent response Everett: every day's a school day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Ev, and everyone in this forum for helping me come up to speed on this truck and all the T2 stuff. It has been a blast so far. I did not realize how different these things would be mechanically from Beetles!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
I did not realize how different these things would be mechanically from Beetles!

As in life....some differences are more obvious than others...

Pete Keesling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Back from an 11 day west coast road trip including Kelley Park weekend to try to scare up some parts for the truck, among other things. Found a good bit of the stuff I was looking for.

Engine long block was crated today and handed over to Fed Ex for an (expensive!) trip to Minnesota for a rebuild. In the mean time, I changed the tranny gear oil (again, it looked like it was replaced by the seller), got my engine lid prop greased and working, installed a passenger side mirror arm, and wrestled apart a $5 fuel tap that I got in the swaps at KP that later this summer will get installed and the ZAR cable hooked up.

A roof rack and a tatty floor mat is on it's way across the country now for this singlecab. I had hoped to use the mat that came with it, but it is not correct for this year. The pedal openings are different. Is it for barndoor, or some later model??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Yes, that is a Barndoor floor mat.
Where did you find that?!?
Weird thing to pop up, they are NOT easy to find in any condition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, that is a Barndoor floor mat.
Where did you find that?!?
Weird thing to pop up, they are NOT easy to find in any condition

It was in the truck when I bought it, folded up on the floor or in the back bed I think.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Nice John Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Lowes run.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Look at you, John! You're a Bus owner AND a Bus driver!!! Put it to good use AND have fun with it!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

The roof rack finally made it's way from the west coast. Two of the clamps look original and are the same, the third looks like from another rack, but works. The 4th is missing. I think that I can make some good reproductions of the missing 2... if I can't locate originals.

Anyone know/recognize this rack? The securing studs are 1/4"-20, so I don't think it is European made. I actually found some copper 1/4" wing nuts in some drawers of hardware that the guy we bought our house from left 15 years ago. Those ought to patina nicely over time.

The back legs were bowed out a bit farther than the fronts, but not quite enough to fit the rails on my singlecab... so I had to tweak them a bit. Note the front "overhang" from the position of the front legs. I am thinking that a couple vintage 6 volt driving lights might look cool up there (???).

Disappointingly, the truck will not be able to take part as a stage in the Music Festival this Saturday..... I would have had to get it there WAY earlier than I had thought due to Police set up rules, security, etc. I have another commitment that morning. BUT, it will be used in a video for my friends band, and we'll shoot with it at various locations.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preservation of Lori Reply with quote

Haven't posted in a while, but I have been having a TON of fun with this truck. It has been to one car show and a couple cruise nights. Always gets a LOT of attention.

Didn't make the music festival but a week ago we did some impromptu video shots with my friends band. We moved it around to a few spots in the city of Nashua NH. These guys are in with a city events promoter and have written a song about the city to promote the cultural vibe of it. When we get a full video edited, I'll post a link. Check out the custom cut rug, furniture, suitcases and lamp. We want to do a night shot with the lamp on.

Also, the engine is now in the hands of a capable samba member and friend and was torn down a bit tonight. Looks like the #1 exhaust valve got cooked at some point and grime is aplenty.l

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: