Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 FI intake backfire on start
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

So I’ve had this issue for a year or so. But it appears to be getting worse.

About every 10th start I get a single backfire through the intake. It used to only blow off the hose from the S boot to the oil breather. Now it blows off the S boot, the oil breather hose and the hose to the aux air valve. There is a puff of smoke in the engine compartment. Bus runs and drives great. Like I said, it’s about once every 10th start.

77 westy
Stock 2.0 FI
Very recent valve adjust, dwell and timing (in effort to fix the problem)

What’s the problem?
'65 Honda Dream
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

If it were me I would start by verifying an injector isn't leaking and then I perform a cylinder leakdown test. Please post the results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

spark plug / ignition wire lead failing.
any one of those eight.
^edit: if it's not the above leaky injector scenario^
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

My oil smells like gas too. I will check my injectors.
'65 Honda Dream
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Ethanol laced fuel can cause a buildup of gum on the valve stems which can cause them to hang up in their guides which can lead to backfiring or worse the piston hitting the valve. When I let an engine sit for a long time with ethanol fuel in it, I dump some upper cylinder wall lube into the fuel when I go to run it again.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

A lot of people mention to check your ground strap and ground from the battery. My 78 bus would act like it would not want to keep going after starting. It would sputter and act like it was backfiring. I cleaned the grounds and applied die electric compound. That was some time ago, but I have never had a problem since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

About every 10th start I get a single backfire through the intake. It used to only blow off the hose from the S boot to the oil breather. Now it blows off the S boot, the oil breather hose and the hose to the aux air valve. There is a puff of smoke in the engine compartment. Bus runs and drives great. Like I said, it’s about once every 10th start.

What’s the problem?

a) proper valve adjustment is critical, so is making sure that all valves are clean in their guides and close fully.

b) check your spark plug wiring carefully for any wires that cross over each other. A strong combustion event into the intake manifold suggests an intermittent misfire.

Also, are you equipped with breaker points/condensor or Pertronix? Get this squared away, it can be hell on your engine.
Colin
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
OG Velvet wrote:

What’s the problem?

a) proper valve adjustment is critical, so is making sure that all valves are clean in their guides and close fully.

b) check your spark plug wiring carefully for any wires that cross over each other. A strong combustion event into the intake manifold suggests an intermittent misfire.

Also, are you equipped with breaker points/condensor or Pertronix? Get this squared away, it can be hell on your engine.
Colin

I feel pretty good about the valve adjustment. They were off a little, but it did not change.

I will double check the spark plug wires

I am running points. The dwell was right on the money
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
A lot of people mention to check your ground strap and ground from the battery. My 78 bus would act like it would not want to keep going after starting. It would sputter and act like it was backfiring. I cleaned the grounds and applied die electric compound. That was some time ago, but I have never had a problem since.

It's not like it's having trouble starting. It is one big POP about one second after I start cranking. If the hose didn't blow off, it would continue running.
'65 Honda Dream
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
OG Velvet wrote:

What’s the problem?

Colin

I feel pretty good about the valve adjustment. They were off a little, but it did not change.

I will double check the spark plug wires

I am running points. The dwell was right on the money

Factory engines spark plug wires were dressed in such a way as to not touch each other anywhere.
Colin
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

If your cold start valve is leaking excess gas into the boot that could be contributory. Pull it and check while cranking.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

YOu can get all of the injectors cleaned and calibrated for about $100 you know.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Do a compression test cold and then one warm. See if the valves are all closing when it is cold.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I will get to work on them.

Unfortunately, my bus is now acting totally weird again. Now it wants to randomly shut off. Super bummer because I am going on a fishing trip tomorrow. Looks like I'll be sleeping in a tent instead...

These buses man... if I didn't love them so much, I'd hate them...
'65 Honda Dream
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

try putting a jumper between the 12V+ and #15 on the coil and see if it keeps running. If it does you have a bad ignition switch. The switch uses a separate set of contacts when it starts. What may be happening is that occasionally it is running from the start contacts then it intermittently dies on the run contacts which creates the backfire.

DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER ON LONGER THEN NEEDED TO TEST THIS. If you put it on and walk away you will burn the points and cook the coil. I mean like put the jumper on and go start it. See if it continues to run. If it does remove the jumper and see if it dies.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Problem is that this seems to happen after a few minutes. I just went out and started it up and ran it (not driven) for about five minutes and it ran fine. I will test more in a couple hours (I'm at work). I think it may be only happening once the engine is warm?
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
YOu can get all of the injectors cleaned and calibrated for about $100 you know.

Where?
'65 Honda Dream
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

Check to see what your fuel pressure does after shut down, there is a spec in the book. I am thinking that your cold start valve is leaking fuel into the plenum, excess fuel which gets picked up as soon as the engine starts thus leading to the backfire.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Where?

https://witchhunter.com/

https://www.cruzinperformance.com/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 77 FI intake backfire on start Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Where?

Automotive Products, Inc
Portland, OR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: