Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper green paint code for 79 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

New here to forum. Friend told me I could get help. I restored my 79 once with sage green l63h. Hated yellow-white creamy shade. Looking for color closer to interior color. Brighter green. Any help need it. It's in shop now getting re-restored and hated this sage more now, same yellow-white blend. Anybody here tried a different green but close to same code? Was the green color different in earlier years, let's say 73-76?[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Above are the greens in question. Bus with open door is close to l63h, shiny bus 2 is color I'm looking for. Obviously bus 2 is wetsanded but the shade I want. I'm so new to this guys, I'm doing my best. Any help much appreciated. Bus 1 is precisely 79 sage. You can see the yellow-white influence in color. Everytime I see a beautifully painted solid green it's the shade I'm looking for...just not when I paint. Thanks for the help ahead of time. I'll post my finished product in a week or 2 here...if I can find my color

Last edited by Becklerwesty on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Your first photo looks off. Is that representative of the color? Here are a couple sage green photos.

faded original paint

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

you can't go by code with modern paints and expect a match to original paint.

you need to get a nice original dash piece and color map it off of that, do a spray out and tint as needed. sometimes a color map is dead nuts, other times, not so much....

so many fail to realize this, and most body guys don't give a shit if they are doing an overall....if they are doing a blend they are forced to play the tint game.

not sure what you are looking for, something close to the original color or something else?

here is an example of a color map

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7894752#7894752

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Here is the PPG code I got from Scott@GermanSupply that matches

My Westy after painting as the outside paint matches the inside perfectly.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Becklerwesty wrote:

No photo is going to get it right, since the science of color and cameras and lighting and all is so complex. In the above photo, the color seems not quite right, and the nose is definitely different -- a bit... whiter?

Was your bus originally sage green?

Is that the color you want, or are you after something else?

If you want to go with an original sage green, find a suitable unfaded piece, as skills says, and match to that. Like part of the front air duct.

If not, then you will just have to experiment and judge for yourself. We really can't help.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Some colors must be harder to get right. I have always found whatever I buy in L20B brilliant orange matches the original paint compared to untouched interior sections.
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Here is the PPG code I got from Scott@GermanSupply that matches

My Westy after painting as the outside paint matches the inside perfectly.

Thanks a lot. Hey blessing , is that sage? Did you mix that color or did u order the paint? My shop using DuPont I think. Any suggestions on a different brand that might match?

Last edited by Becklerwesty on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

static wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Thanks man. I have this chart, and sage is obvious. However, a paint mix that worked is what I need. I have 2 days to get this right. I was certain it was going to match. Shop chose alpine white for top and that's too dark. This is tough
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Your first photo looks off. Is that representative of the color? Here are a couple sage green photos.

faded original paint

Thanks SG. My 'alpine white is worse. What did you use for the white? I had to paint the top. I absolutely love your paint . It's what I'm looking for. The white for sure too. Thanks to all of you guys. I'm a quadriplegic , it's so hard for me to do anything. Just to type here. This is my sage Thanks so much oh SG, what brand or where did u find that sage?.[img]
[/img]
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Heres my bus prior to paint. So 2-tone or back to original green? Help me out
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Have a sample pint made with my code to see how it matches yours
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Notch, I want this green. This ain't my sage, but I love the hell out of it. Out of the thousand greens I've looked at, this is DEAD NUTS what I'm looking for. SG has a nice shade, bleseng as well, but this? Good stuff. Thanks too bleseng. I'll spray your mix. Notch, you have a code for this? I'm in a pinch, a big pinch. This is a beautiful bus
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

I don't I have no idea what this dude did. It is a very original bus that's clean. You recently posted up to Facebook and I knew it was spot-on for what you were looking for but I don't have any codes or anything for it. Sorry mate 🤨

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Odd seeing a late bay, sage green without a top engine hatch and exhaust on left side. I understand it. Just unique on this side of the pond.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

You can't tell jack shit about color on the internet! Get a test pint made and test it on a spot on your bus where it is oem paint.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

those look like European license holders on that bay. I'd guess that the body was really straight to begin with and that he went with lots of clear on it for the depth it shows - in addition lots of coats of wax.
Becklerwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
You can't tell jack shit about color on the internet! Get a test pint made and test it on a

spot on your bus where it is oem paint.

I very well can tell color on the "internet", but thanks dude. Here for help is all. Btw, already sprayed my code sage next to original behind a panel, which I guess u missed,, it's why I'm here. If u would have you'd know I sprayed it the 1st time, then became a quad, thus have to have a shop spray it 20 years later. If i could use my legs and arms, I'd do it myself and get it right. Why I'm asking for help from you guys here. SG was a big help, thanks alot, and the other guys... just looking for help pal;)

Like was said, you get one chance at this, doing everything I can do to get it right ble.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper green paint code for 79 Westy Reply with quote

You can’t use pictures of Busses on computers to gauge colour matching.

Period.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: