Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Absolutely....

Even during steady pedal cruise watch the AFR and when the vacuum drops (inclined road/highway) the AFR will swing to the rich side. The distributor load senses.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Now don't be over loading me and discombalating me, lol...

The Thread more or less came together in the last for post..lol

Yea, I simply just did not prior to this thread know how to Handle
and understand a Proper Set-Up of a 034 SVDA on a Stroker.

Thing is like what was covered in one of these threads is that indicated
in this post is that some say and believe that some cams simply do not
work. Which lead me down the wrong road in thinking..

But thanks to all of y'all for clearing this up.. RB
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
There is an arrow on the anti pulse valve and it goes pointing to the direction of the vacuum so towards the carb.

You don't understand how it works. It will not over advance. You set the timing just like you set it with your 010 with the vacuum line disconnected to the distributor. Then you rev up the engine to full advance and set the full advance to the same timing you are using for your 010 (probably in the 28-32BTDC range). Then you hook up the vacuum line and you are done. Vacuum only kicks in under light load with the vacuum can pulls the vacuum advance plate and provides more degrees of advance. When there is no vacuum there is not additional vacuum advance timing being used just centrifugal. That's why I suggested running or even teeing in a vacuum line and run it to your drivers seat and place in a vacuum advance gauge and go for a drive. You will see the amount of vacuum that your engine is pulling and where. You will have zero vacuum at idle and when the throttle plate is open fully so at those times there will be no additional vacuum advance.

Now go hook it up

IF I understand it, in essence with medium to high vacuum you have additional advance beyond lets say the 28-32 degrees set with vacuum line disconnected (full centrifugal), and when you open carb throttle plates and vacuum is lost, distributor actually retards back to centrifugal settings (operation)..... Correct?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
74 Thing wrote:
There is an arrow on the anti pulse valve and it goes pointing to the direction of the vacuum so towards the carb.

You don't understand how it works. It will not over advance. You set the timing just like you set it with your 010 with the vacuum line disconnected to the distributor. Then you rev up the engine to full advance and set the full advance to the same timing you are using for your 010 (probably in the 28-32BTDC range). Then you hook up the vacuum line and you are done. Vacuum only kicks in under light load with the vacuum can pulls the vacuum advance plate and provides more degrees of advance. When there is no vacuum there is not additional vacuum advance timing being used just centrifugal. That's why I suggested running or even teeing in a vacuum line and run it to your drivers seat and place in a vacuum advance gauge and go for a drive. You will see the amount of vacuum that your engine is pulling and where. You will have zero vacuum at idle and when the throttle plate is open fully so at those times there will be no additional vacuum advance.

Now go hook it up

IF I understand it, in essence with medium to high vacuum you have additional advance beyond lets say the 28-32 degrees set with vacuum line disconnected (full centrifugal), and when you open carb throttle plates and vacuum is lost, distributor actually retards back to centrifugal settings (operation)..... Correct?

Dale

Yep, the extra vac will fade as well even if you keep the pedal steady when you hit a hill/incline. As the RPM's/speed drops so will any additional vacuum advanced timing as the load on the engine increases.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Like the thoroughness of this Thread.

Took the Super a drive today with its 2180 and
Dual 40 DRLA's and 010, and was paying attention
to throttle response and RPMs while in the mountains
and straight aways..

RB
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Ok, so here is a question were the SVDA may be better than a 010 off idle to lets say 2,800 RPMs?

Since you have vacuum actuating the distributor off idle when exxcelerating, it will come on stronger at low RPMs than that of an 010, thus more torque applied to the wheels?

I understand the 2,800 plus range in how neither will lets say advance past 30 degree if that is your max advance if timed there..

Sorry for he double post, just trying to simplify my question... RB
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

It is based on load/vacuum. Did you run a hose from the carb up to your cockpit and drive and watch the vacuum as your throttle pedal moved. Go on the highway at about 3.5k or whatever and then lighten up on the pedal and watch the vacuum number increase.

Put on the SVDA already and see for yourself. As far as torque the one way to tell is put your car on a dyno then switch distributors and run it again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

or put the hose on and run it to the driver's seat, and put it on a SVDA you hold in your hand while driving. No cap/rotor, and watch the action of the vacuum.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Problem I have is work time on the car, it is 2 hours from me so been working on it on weekends. Long story, but had a trans to work on, then rebuild carbs, and now since car is running again figured I try out the 034 SVDA Myth. So have the 034 Sitting on my work bench for the next time I am near the car.

I was hoping to just get a yes/no answer on does the SVDA out-perform a 010 with an Engle 120 Cam in a Stroker..?

I am rather content with the 010, but was maybe opting to sell the 034 if I can't use it... RB
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:

I was hoping to just get a yes/no answer on does the SVDA out-perform a 010 with an Engle 120 Cam in a Stroker..?

I hope the take away that you got from these three threads is that yes, many of us believe the SVDA is better than a *insert name here* centrifugal only distributor for a car that is street driven. It should be noted that not all SVDA distributors are created equal as that is a general term. There could be room to further tweak it for your particular setup which we may know when you report back after trying it.

Good luck,
Jeremy
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Yea, it is the "Ramping Up" of a 034 SVDA compared to a 010 with an Engle 120 Cam from Off Idle to WOT that I seek is greater?

Yea, think I have this figured out, when the butterfly opens in throttling or going to WOT, the signal drops off for the butterfly is letting more air though, not pulling as much vacuum on the SVDA.

Hummmm... So, the SVDA is better at cruise, mpg wise. Which I can see.

So, the SVDA does not have an advantage over the 010 when the butterfly opens slow or fast.... RB
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:

Answer: Every time, once you get the advance curve set up for your erngine. - One heads up. Some of the newer 034īs do not have the adjuster tabs at the advance weights. Those are to stay on the shelf in such cases since you will need the option of altering the advance, - and the spring tension too for that matter.
Also, the SVDA will have influence all the way up to when the carbs are not using the idle circuit at all, which typically means 36-3800 rpms depending on load (gearing, tyre friction and efficiency of engine)

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Looks like I am going to be doing like a 60+ mile drive on the car this coming weekend. All mountains and back roads. I will see whats up with the 010 and how it does then I guess do the same trip or type of tip again with the 034 SVDA. This is if the SVDA gets throw a 10 mile loop with out turning back? RB
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Looks like I am going to be doing like a 60+ mile drive on the car this coming weekend. All mountains and back roads. I will see whats up with the 010 and how it does then I guess do the same trip or type of tip again with the 034 SVDA. This is if the SVDA gets throw a 10 mile loop with out turning back? RB

You changing jetting for each run? (010 vs SVDA)

You should. No lean tuning with mechanical only distributor. With it you should be pretty much 13:0 -13:5 or so across the board.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:

You should. No lean tuning with mechanical only distributor. With it you should be pretty much 13:0 -13:5 or so across the board.

Why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
udidwht wrote:

Why?

A lean mix (say 16-17+) will require added advance to burn correctly. This has been explained in the wideband thread. No lean tune cruising with mechanical only distributors.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires

Last edited by udidwht on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Sure. But there is no reason whatsoever to let the engine run that rich on normal cruise. Up to 14,4 to 15 dependant on engine combo etc is fine.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Sure. But there is no reason whatsoever to let the engine run that rich on normal cruise. Up to 14,4 to 15 dependant on engine combo etc is fine.

I avoid 14 - 15AFR at all times (no lingering there). Get above it on the progression and below it when on mains. 14:0 - 15:0 is where the hottest EGT's & CHT's are.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

I avoid 14 - 15AFR at all times (no lingering there). Get above it on the progression and below it when on mains. 14:0 - 15:0 is where the hottest EGT's & CHT's are.

Not according to my logs on my FI system.

Unless you consider 1100-1300* F too hot at cruise.

I run 14.5-15.1 AFR at cruise and have since I started EFI.

I don't like the way the throttle feels at anything leaner.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Does a 034 SVDA Distributor Mix Well with a Engle 120 Cam? Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:

I canīt copy that either, unless you are dead on 14,7 for a long time. But no carbed engine is that.
If the engine shows that, and its for real, you may have a mix quality - or an ignition problem.
T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: