Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1947 Beetle Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

I suspect that is a later non riveted popes nose that was modified to have rivets. Given all of the other iffy work on the car when you got it there is little surprise that it was missing two holes and had POP rivets.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

originalo wrote:
Here pics of an original, untouched riveted pope´s nose. There is no doubt that they always used solid aluminium rivets. The lower center rivet holding the orange brakelight lens in place originally has a bigger head, as Mika Virtanen correctly informed already. The clear celluloid lens is not a plain lens, it is preformed on it´s edges:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jan, can you see if there are any washers under the rivets? Inside.

I saw a nos riveted pope nose for sale at the latest Hessisch Oldendorf meeting, but I was stupid not taken any pictures or bought it.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

One more information, riveted pope nose has different bulb holder than later. It has longer legs.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Are the rivets left raw or painted originally?
volksair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

The rivets on our og ‘49 Belgian standard split are “raw” and not painted. You can just make them out if you zoom in a bit on the pic.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I suspect that is a later non riveted popes nose that was modified to have rivets. Given all of the other iffy work on the car when you got it there is little surprise that it was missing two holes and had POP rivets.

I'm pretty sure it's the correct nose. The internal part lacks the "visor" that the later type has for holding the lens. It also has the early bulb holder.

Thanks for all the help here. Mika is sending a couple things and I'll check back in with what I figure out.

The engine just showed up...

fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Stunning! Shocked
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Lovely looking motor
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:

Jan, can you see if there are any washers under the rivets? Inside.

Indeed you are right Mika, great hint: when removing the bulbholder and checking carefully the inside I could see that originally there are tiny washers under all (seven) smaller rivets except the bigger lower central one that also fixes the orange cellon! I took pics of that, more in the gallery, washer dia is 6mm.
And YES for the different bulbholder, to be seen here in the first and last pic:

Detail pic:

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

As always, just when you think you know everything there is to know on a subject, somebody comes along to show you something different!

Here is a picture of an early Pope's nose, purchased by myself 40 years ago, which was exactly in the same state you see now. The price tag shows that it was item number 22 in somebodies sales collection, and that I paid £1 for it!

It seems that there are a total of 6 steel rivets holding the lens/film in place, along with steel washers, and 4 alloy rivets holding the lamp unit in place. Because of the differential corrosion between the steel and aluminium 3 of the 4 rivets have corroded away internally, leaving one rivet to hold it in place.

The original grey paint under the black looks to be same colour as that on my 47 Beetle, and has therefore to be of a similar vintage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

On the subject of the lens material, I would suggest finding a hobby shop that carries Evergreen plastic sheet stock. They make a very nice clear plastic sheet that comes in a good variety of thicknesses. I've used this for many years and it can be vacuformed or carefully heated to conform to pretty complex curvatures (think of bubble canopies for fighter planes, for example). Never tried it for this application, but I'd be willing to bet it will work great.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

So there were 6 rivet and 8 rivet versions of the popes nose. Interesting. I wonder which one is earlier? I would think the 6 rivet would be earlier

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Cool, Great info Martin. Glad you found that before I drilled two more holes in this one! I was pretty certain it was the correct nose and that there was no sign of the two holes being welded.

Parts-wise, this car was pretty complete and this isn't the first time common knowledge has said something is wrong just to find out later, with more research, it's actually correct.

Thanks Again!
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
Cool, Great info Martin. Glad you found that before I drilled two more holes in this one! I was pretty certain it was the correct nose and that there was no sign of the two holes being welded.
Thanks Again!

That indeed is a very interesting and surprising info that there was an evolution on the riveted pope´s nose. Such the ones who said there have to be 8 holes -including me- stand corrected Embarassed . Luckily no harm had been done to the ´47 nose yet Very Happy
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Hey David. The car looks amazing, thank you for sharing the process with us. I have learned and continue to learn new things from this thread. Thanks for that!👊

I wanted to get your feedback about the mounting holes for the hood and decklid handle, we started with and then used a traditional opening assuming that was correct for its vintage. I see that your opening has a key way or a notch if you will (to assure proper alignment I guess) The handles or the removables that are with this 47 do not have that profile. Is it possible we do not have period correct equipment? I really appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks in advance. Jason.

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

WrennMetallWerks wrote:
Hey David. The car looks amazing, thank you for sharing the process with us. I have learned and continue to learn new things from this thread. Thanks for that!👊

I wanted to get your feedback about the mounting holes for the hood and decklid handle, we started with and then used a traditional opening assuming that was correct for its vintage. I see that your opening has a key way or a notch if you will (to assure proper alignment I guess) The handles or the removables that are with this 47 do not have that profile. Is it possible we do not have period correct equipment? I really appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks in advance. Jason.

Hey Jason, Thanks! Below is a pic of the handle base and opening... The hood is the same. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say this is another pre '49 detail? I'm sure someone here knows better than me. Obviously, it's a weak design. The hood was pretty messed up there and I did my best to clean it up.

Let me know if you need anymore pics or info.

DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

originalo wrote:
DSweinhagen wrote:
Thanks Again!

That indeed is a very interesting and surprising info that there was an evolution on the riveted pope´s nose. Such the ones who said there have to be 8 holes -including me- stand corrected Embarassed . Luckily no harm had been done to the ´47 nose yet Very Happy

Hi originalo, I didn't mean to point fingers or anything, and especially not at you... I really appreciate your help here and your sense of humor. Smile

It's interesting even in this day of the internet there's still things to be learned on these cars. I don't claim to be an expert and have certainly been wrong on things before. I'm just lucky enough to be working on this car that's nice enough to fill in some blanks on these early beetles. I like to think we're all doing our best with the info we have.
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
WrennMetallWerks wrote:

Hey Jason, Thanks! Below is a pic of the handle base and opening... The hood is the same. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say this is another pre '49 detail? I'm sure someone here knows better than me. Obviously, it's a weak design. The hood was pretty messed up there and I did my best to clean it up.

Let me know if you need anymore pics or info.

I thank you very much man... I would agree with you that it could more then likely be another pre 49 detail. I will continue to do research and hope that anybody else with some insight will chime in. Thanks again

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Here's some more assembly... Bumpers are assembled and installed, taillights installed...

The VIN plate cleaned up nice and got it back on...

vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1947 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Lovely . Great job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: