Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cargo floor rust holes
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Hey all,
Need a little advice for a newbie doing my first bus project. Starting on the cargo floor. Typical rust on the sides of the floor and at the base of the bulkhead on both sides. Otherwise floor seems pretty solid. So I purchased both 11" cargo floor side sections from KFAB. When I started grinding the rear portion I came across some more rust holes. They don't make this section for replacement, so wondering what my options are to fix this area. I really don't want to replace this whole rear portion of the floor, or the whole floor itself, and not doing a show quality restoration. Just want it to be safe with no holes.

Can I just do small patches made from floor pieces I cut out?
Should I actually replace the rear section?
Can I just weld these holes up?
Combination of welding and POR15 putty?
Anyways, thanks for having a look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Use as much as the repair panel sections as much as you can obviously. If you use a Automatic Center Punch to remove the scale ,it will either knock off the scale or put a hole through the places that need attention. It will be much better to clean up both sides by either blasting or using a wire brush on a rotary tool and cleaning it up with acid.

If the area is difficult to replicate and is really thin ,you can use the method for butt welding sheet metal with a big gap to give it some strength. A copper spoon underneath should help but I have not used that method yet. I would lead or solder up whatever remains.
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Kb

Yes, I am using a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and I do plan to use acid after that before POR15
Forgive me if I dont fully understand what you're saying due to my lack of experience, but are you suggesting that I make small patches for the floor and weld them in place?

How does the lead or soldering work for filling holes?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

I'm assuming that the corrugated floor patch panels are the same as factory so you just have to cut out a bad section and weld in the new piece.

led or solder is used much the same way as body filler but should not be used for a structural part of a vehicle.

If you don't plan on using the factory seats or mounts cut them out and replace them with a regular floor section.

Do you want to keep the seat mounts? The issue with that is vw sunk that area down , so the floor would be mostly flat with the seats removed. If you ever want to use seats in the bus and keep the floor flat you will have to mimic that area as closely as is necessary for the seats to both reach the mount and for the mounts to be below the surface of the floor. It should not be real hard to shrink part of a corrugated section down with map gas and a hammer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BUS-FLOOR-SEAT-MOUNT-B...2115837980
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Could be you can just replace sections in the back. Problem is we can not see if the rust was from the top only, or also the underside is rusted up badly.

Might try putting up a WTB ad, just in case someone had all the rust up front, So they might have the rear half new section collecting dust....
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Thanks Eric,
I’ll do some grinding underneath and take pics and post them here, and post the cargo floor rear section in WTB.

Appreciate the help!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

I cleaned my cargo floor and started out with a wrirebrush on my drill. I later switched to sanding discs on the grinder, I found it sped up the process significantly.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

Just be careful with the sanding discs. Pretty easy to just grind down metal till too thin to work with. Phosphoric will leave more of the metal.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cargo floor rust holes Reply with quote

The coarse wire brushes for grinders work well if you press moderately hard with them. HF has them for like $10 a set and they hold up good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: