Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

A number of years ago I had a 1 year subscription to Hot VWs. Personally it was basically the same thing every month. Pics of car shows, a featured build, engine modification, etc. I was new to the hobby and I always thought it would have been beneficial if they would have more articles for newcomers like how to check the electrical systems, what to look for when buying reproduction parts, body work/rust repairs, interchangeable parts, adjusting valves & setting timing for different applications, etc. The magazine really wasn't benefitting me so I stopped getting it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Bro, quit trying to impress those '15 or 20' people, and just be yourself. SOME people aspire to be in a car mag someday. Geez. It's a healthy aspiration. Don't squish the small guy who is coming up.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Bro, quit trying to impress those '15 or 20' people, and just be yourself. SOME people aspire to be in a car mag someday. Geez. It's a healthy aspiration. Don't squish the small guy who is coming up.....

That may be the difference from me, and the small guy. Those 15, or 20 people were impressed a long time ago by me being myself. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Wow, you’re the awesomest! Laughing

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Damn, more Lemmings than I thought.....

I get the fact that we mess with cars that haven’t been made in the last 40 years, so there’s not going to be insane innovations coming out every month. How many times to you have to read about a 1776 with a 110, or a 2276 with a K8? How many times do you have to read about the “pro-street” trans that the owner thinks is bad ass, but still has a 3.80 1st? I got tired of reading specs of driveline combinations that I personally had experienced in customer’s cars that were painfully average. I always thought feature cars were supposed to be a cut above the rest, not the same average shit that was painted a little nicer? Don’t get me wrong, there have been some out of the ordinary incredible vehicles featured, but they have been few, and far between.

After working at a shop that does restorations, and realizing what “average” industry costs are for restoration on any vehicle, there are few people reading this/reading Hot VW’s that could even fathom the investment of most feature cars. It’s no longer about the cheap fun vehicle that’s available everywhere. Not many at the Aircooled events I attend can identify with owners of feature cars that write checks for everything done on the project.

And NO, a magazine article is NOT everyone’s holy grail/top of their goal list. I’ve come across a lot of attention whores that had it at the top though..... I’ve come across far more people that value an event award, or even an individual’s approval more than a magazine article. I can think of about 15-20 people that have opinions that matter to me, none of which are involved with Hot VW’s.

You own an air-cooled VW shop? Then build a car that you think is magazine worthy and call them up, they will feature it and all us lemmings will then fall in line with your other 15 to 20 people who don't disagree with you. Don't like Ron's artwork submit your stuff they have already said if you have something of interest submit it they are trying a blend of old and new. If you don't like it either be the change you want to see or just don't spend your seven dollars but don't get pissy when no one agreed except for 15 to 20 people. Don't just call and bitch about it I wouldn't call you back either.

Well I own a vw shop and I built a car worthy of a feature.
First show out it won first place full custom, second show out won best paint..(over cars that HAD been featured)
A hot vw rep/photographer was at the show and I brought him over to look it over and see about a shoot.
His response.."I'm really only partial to nice '67's and race cars"....WTF..
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I appreciate Shin and everything he's done since taking it over. I actually look forward to it again, instead of just buying when a friends car or a car I worked on makes it in the mag. Probably will get a subscription now Very Happy

I couldn't agree more with SplitDog.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I was a subscriber of Hot VWs and trends late 70s till Trends absconded with my subscription money and quite Hot VWs around 2012 maybe just out of laziness. Print media is dead I still like the car mags but I think their days are numbered. People don’t read anymore and if they do it’s some internet thing.
All printed matter is going up to meet costs if you don’t like it just vote with your feet or checkbook, wait those checkbooks are obsolete too. Very Happy
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

$2 more a month?! THE HORROR.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I look forward to the magazine every month..I pass on a beer to cover the cost....well worth it...keep the magazine alive...
Thank you Hot VW for all the great reads
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Hot Air wrote:
I look forward to the magazine every month..I pass on a beer to cover the cost....well worth it...keep the magazine alive...
Thank you Hot VW for all the great reads

Exactly.

The people griping the most here likely have not even seen the differences Shin has made with the magazine- and in short order. Bitching over a price increase of a mag they haven't supported in YEARS. If you are whining and HAVE a current subscription- don't let me catch you at Barnes and Noble reading it for free sipping a $6 latte'!

As for not having your car featured... Classic sour grapes crap. When you publish something you can pick what goes in it. Ever notice the guys who whine about the great car they built and all the trophies they've won NEVER tell what show they attended? Yup- likely the local Nursing home benefit bake sale and hotrod show- you know, the one in the Foodking parking lot on 7th and Jefferson?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Okay, I'm convinced...I'm gonna subscribe ASAP. Smile

Actually, I cancelled my subscription over 20 years ago because they kept getting trashed in the mailing process, and I collected them and kept them pristine. Didn't even want friends thumbing through them and kinking the covers (you know, the same way people do every time they pick up a fricking calendar) by folding it over a knuckle to flip pages from back to front. Ever since, I've just hand-picked select copies at the news stand.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
$2 more a month?! THE HORROR.

right?
That 7 cents a day must be a real bitch to come up with.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
The people griping the most here likely have not even seen the differences Shin has made with the magazine- and in short order. Bitching over a price increase of a mag they haven't supported in YEARS. If you are whining and HAVE a current subscription- don't let me catch you at Barnes and Noble reading it for free sipping a $6 latte'!

As for not having your car featured... Classic sour grapes crap. When you publish something you can pick what goes in it. Ever notice the guys who whine about the great car they built and all the trophies they've won NEVER tell what show they attended? Yup- likely the local Nursing home benefit bake sale and hotrod show- you know, the one in the Foodking parking lot on 7th and Jefferson?

The differences...? You mean using the cover photo as the entire cover instead of having a red banner behind the Hot VW’s logo? And binding the magazine instead of using staples? How’s the saying go about lipstick on a pig...? Where’s the monthly column about shops open 40 hours a week working on 40+ year old VW’s that are sustaining the hobby for anyone to even care about a magazine covering the hobby?

I’ve been a part of feature cars, and also part of the bullshit politics Paul has ran into. It’s about being in the clique, and what you may, or maynot have to do to become a member. The last feature car I saw at a local show was nice, but it was cookie cutter. There was a way nicer car in the pits having fun runs down the drag strip. He didn’t need to have multiple copies of his feature issue staged around the car, he was blending in like Splitdog being himself.

The Lemmings not complaining never had to make a decision to continue/discontinue general advertising for their business, or revenue generating event for their business that possibly could affect their livelihood. Never wanted the magazine to cover an event they were having. Never had a friend like Paul that got a bullshit excuse for not featuring their car.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Keeton- Pick up a current issue and open it next to one from 3 years ago. Compare articles, photography and general topics. Take more than two minutes and read a bit of it too. Then if you still think it's not significantly changed- visit an eye doctor. Smile

Cars are chosen as features for issues generally many months away. There is also an expected balance of features to keep people who don't like 1303s engaged in a mag that fortunately also has a Frid and split bus featured. Meanwhile, there are new columns, photogs and hobby interest articles never seen before. If your friend's car was entirely original, but the same sepia brown as 3 cars featured in previous years- it might not become the 4th.

The moment an advertiser believes a magazine exists for them is the time they get their first glimpse into an uncertain future. You are responsible for how compelling your ads are. If a mag's subscription area is incongruent with your business outreach- whose fault is that?

My next email will be to HotVWs requesting a rate hike to $8.49 The more I rave about it the more I realize its undervalued. Cool

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
hitest wrote:

The differences...? You mean using the cover photo as the entire cover instead of having a red banner behind the Hot VW’s logo? And binding the magazine instead of using staples? How’s the saying go about lipstick on a pig...? Where’s the monthly column about shops open 40 hours a week working on 40+ year old VW’s that are sustaining the hobby for anyone to even care about a magazine covering the hobby?

I’ve been a part of feature cars, and also part of the bullshit politics Paul has ran into. It’s about being in the clique, and what you may, or maynot have to do to become a member. The last feature car I saw at a local show was nice, but it was cookie cutter. There was a way nicer car in the pits having fun runs down the drag strip. He didn’t need to have multiple copies of his feature issue staged around the car, he was blending in like Splitdog being himself.

The Lemmings not complaining never had to make a decision to continue/discontinue general advertising for their business, or revenue generating event for their business that possibly could affect their livelihood. Never wanted the magazine to cover an event they were having. Never had a friend like Paul that got a bullshit excuse for not featuring their car.

It helps if you're in Southern California, where it seems to all happen. It also helps if you're in a highly respected club, like RVA, German Folks, DBK, DKP, etc. It also helps if Shin or R.K. or Stephan can see your car and come up and talk to you. There are politics in everything. Not every event gets covered here either. And my pops' 100% '60 SC didn't get in HotVW because they were featuring another Dove Blue SC the next month. It is what it is......

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I was pondering this thread. I was thinking about the stacks of VW magazines that I have and how they are essentially all the same.

Year in and year out, magazine issues differ little from each other (within the same magazine). But that is not the problem.

The problem is that a lot of us have been doing this since aircooled VWs were new and there is little that we haven't seen already.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who haven't seen it all already or perhaps are living in places where there are few aircooled VWs or are looking for inspiration. The magazines are for them.

And if you think that Hot VWs is expensive, check out VW Camper & Commercial or VW Camper & Bus!

And even though nobody asked, I think that the new Hot VWs is a great improvement over the old Hot VWs. Thanks, Shin!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

static wrote:

The problem is that a lot of us have been doing this since aircooled VWs were new and there is little that we haven't seen already.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who haven't seen it all already or perhaps are living in places where there are few aircooled VWs or are looking for inspiration. The magazines are for them.

Exactly. I was that newbe a few years ago and I learned very little from the magazine. Mostly it was eye candy. That being said, I'd like to hear from the veteran VW crowd as to what THEY would want to see in the magazine to peak their interest enough to subscribe.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
static wrote:

Exactly. I was that newbe a few years ago and I learned very little from the magazine. Mostly it was eye candy. That being said, I'd like to hear from the veteran VW crowd as to what THEY would want to see in the magazine to peak their interest enough to subscribe.

Shin already answered one wish- lifestyle. It was missing in the old mag. Now there are articles about events that discuss the people involved. Bios, histories, etc. It doesn't need to always be about the car- that stuff you can get anywhere. But experiencing a particular run through Moab is much more easy to imagine doing now. He's doing amazing things.

FU#5
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I basically let my sub expire after Trends died. As a Type 3 guy, you hardly ever see them in DBHVW's, so I couldn't justify keeping my sub. Flash forward 15 years and my daughter got my a sub for Christmas, and she's the one who keeps renewing it. I just take the ones I haven't read yet to my dad's doctor appointments to have something to read (other than redbook or people) to kill my time while I'm there.

I actually prefer Volks World myself.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW’s to go from $4.99 to $6.99 in December Reply with quote

I was a loyal subscriber since 1982.
Collected both HVW's and VW trend and a few other vw based mags..

When the change occurred, it was mid subscription and several months just didn't show up.

Because of this, I no longer subscribe. If I see an issue in a store (rarely), I take a look, but their just doesn't seem to be anything anymore interesting that can't be found on IG or other social medias..

The magazines I've saved all these year take up a bit of space to store. So I've advertised for years to let them go.
Lots of pretty pics, outdated ads,etc...

Probably 400 or so magazine for a lousy $500....no takers!!

Honestly..The magazine just doesn't hold its value

Should have just bought a SB with all the money I've spent on subscriptions.
I'd be in the same boat either way...but atleast I could drive a SB...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: