Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

iMohr on a Early Bay
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
Will either of them work for stock ride height without losing ground clearance?

While the original question is a good one, the part I added in bold is also relevant I think, Depending on what you're doing, stock ride height may not be much good if the lowest point of the suspension is 2-3" off the pavement...
Excellent point. Or in my case an inch off the rocks and sagebrush. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

I don't see why standard height couldn't be maintained. It's a bolt in replacement. You simply pick the bolt holes you wish to use.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Since I have a ‘71 and would want to retain my current brakes and spindles, I would go with Imohr. But I’m staying stock for now. Incidentally, within seconds of looking at the Imhor I was able to determine I could maintain stock ride height. Not so with Red9 Design. Also, R9D business is for sale and that would make me nervous regarding future support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

I've seen some iMohr pics from actual installs that were scary (unsafe, poor quality, life-threateningly terrifying)
poor man's Mendeola or Red9 it would seem
good I'm theory but I'm not sure it's quite up to TUV standards, so to speak Smile
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

and i mean crimped(!!!!) parts, bad welds, metal on metal moving parts, crooked misaligned geometry, high school hack job quality stuff... the CAD models look nice though

Last edited by metahacker on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
and i mean crimped(!!!!) parts, bad welds, metal on metal moving parts, crooked misaligned geometry, high school back job quality stuff... the CAD models look nice though
Yikes!, got pictures?
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

After discovering unisteer.com a few nights ago I've realized that for ~$500 more than what Red9 charges for just the beam upgrade I can get a narrowed, adjustable beam, front and rear disc brakes, drop spindles and rack and pinion steering...
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
metahacker wrote:
and i mean crimped(!!!!) parts, bad welds, metal on metal moving parts, crooked misaligned geometry, high school hack job quality stuff... the CAD models look nice though
Yikes!, got pictures?

from their website

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that part just looks foolish

a lot of the stuff looks kinda great in pics but i dunno if i trust them
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

BlueWeasel wrote:
After discovering unisteer.com a few nights ago I've realized that for ~$500 more than what Red9 charges for just the beam upgrade I can get a narrowed, adjustable beam, front and rear disc brakes, drop spindles and rack and pinion steering...

what does unisteer have for VW?
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Nothing by default I suspect. I've not really had a chance to look at all of the distance, angles, and options in depth.

Like the iMohr product, I assume that a steering / bevel box will need to be used. Then my assumption is that it's just a matter of getting the correct length inner tie rods to connect everything (Once getting it mounted in the correct location).

This is one of many things that I've got months to think about and can come back to some other time...and/or find a better solution along the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: