Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To breather box or not breather box...that is the question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

I rebuilt a single port engine... I used yamahabond to seal the case halves and permatex aviation dealer for everything else.

Then engine has 1400 miles on it. I thought that I had bad valve covers because I couldn't get oil to stop leaking from the covers no matter what i did... i changed multiple gaskets and used different sealers nothing worked. I bought a set of bolt on valve covers and that seemed to fix the issue at the heads.

Now I notice oil leaking from behind the crankshaft pulley and I have a spot of oil where I park now...so now I believe I have too much crank case pressure and its finding the path of least resistance.

I heard a 1641 shouldn't need a breather box, but I feel as if i could benefit from one. I ran into a guy at a cat show with a 1776 and he said he had the same issue and a breather box cured his oil issues.

Any thought/suggestions?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

How is the case vented?
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
How is the case vented?

I installed an aftermarket filler, I vented to the passenger side carb (I'm running dual kads)...

My fuel pump block can be used as a vent but I have a plug in it right now. Could I use that instead of venting the valve covers
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

I swear Volkswagen people and that stupid breather box infatuation. Where do dumb ideas like this get started?

OP you don’t need a breather box. But you do need more venting most likely which is never a bad thing. I think you are on the right track looking at that unused fuel pump provision

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

One passage on the case is all that is mandatory.

I would make sure that your plumbing and such is not blocked somehow even though it is not a likely. You can only directly vent to the air cleaner. If you vent to the intake it needs a PCV valve.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

So don't vent the heads...use the fuel pump block off?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Yes.
Don't vent the valve covers. Unless the valve cover spigots are welded in place.
They will leak.
This is a 1641. Not a 2332.
I built a 2180 and only vent through the filler tower.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
I swear Volkswagen people and that stupid breather box infatuation. Where do dumb ideas like this get started?

OP you don’t need a breather box. But you do need more venting most likely which is never a bad thing. I think you are on the right track looking at that unused fuel pump provision

Breather box is really just a catch can. I would rather vent to a catch can then vent back through the carb. This is typically an emissions thing, no diffefent han new cars today.

Breather box aside....Excessive oil pressure can cause this too.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

k-weaver wrote:
Krochus wrote:

Breather box is really just a catch can. I would rather vent to a catch can then vent back through the carb. This is typically an emissions thing, no diffefent han new cars today.

Breather box aside....Excessive oil pressure can cause this too.

So I ran a line from my fuel pump block off to a breather box, I left the line from the filler to the carb.

I noticed at the filter element base of carb there is a lot of engine oil...I am not a fan of this at all, I can only imagine what my spark plugs look like. I will be moving the vent from on top of the carb to the breather box as well.

Based off sound my engine sounds better... but time will tell if this will take care of my oil issue
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Do what you have to do... but I just hate how it's so much self induced suffering.

So you've got a 1641 with a after market breather that doesn't breathe very well, so you blow off the valve covers, so buy bolt -on valve covers, now your building a breather box.

If you just UN-DO whatever you did to cause the problem, then you won't have any more problem, it would have been less work in the end.

Use good rings, good cylinders, put the stock breather back on, no problems, easy to say now, and maybe that's now the best solution at this point,....but, next time you'll know.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Quote:
I noticed at the filter element base of carb there is a lot of engine oil.

Confused
I can't understand this but I think the vacuum at the carb is sucking oil out of your crank case. A venting system is meant to release slight pressure from the case. It's not supposed to keep the case below atmospheric pressure.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Do what you have to do... but I just hate how it's so much self induced suffering.

So you've got a 1641 with a after market breather that doesn't breathe very well, so you blow off the valve covers, so buy bolt -on valve covers, now your building a breather box.

If you just UN-DO whatever you did to cause the problem, then you won't have any more problem, it would have been less work in the end.

Use good rings, good cylinders, put the stock breather back on, no problems, easy to say now, and maybe that's now the best solution at this point,....but, next time you'll know.

Everything was new except the case.

Do the aftermarket fillers have venting issues
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Yes, the passageways are too small.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Is this the engine you're working on?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it is. You're likely getting oil puddled up in the vent tube to the right carb.
The vent hose should drain back into the filler tower and eventually the crankcase.
The way it's oriented in the pic. Trapped oil is being forced up the vent tube, causing the oil deposits inside the carb body.
Try tightening the filler adapter so the vent tube is above the tapped hole in the filler neck. That way it will drain properly.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Is this the engine you're working on?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it is. You're likely getting oil puddled up in the vent tube to the right carb.
The vent hose should drain back into the filler tower and eventually the crankcase.
The way it's oriented in the pic. Trapped oil is being forced up the vent tube, causing the oil deposits inside the carb body.
Try tightening the filler adapter so the vent tube is above the tapped hole in the filler neck. That way it will drain properly.

Good Luck.

Yes it is...thank you I'll give that a try
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Yes, the passageways are too small.

I see why u said I'm causing self inflicted suffering...damn...its kinda too late to go back, I've thrown alot of parts at her
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Well, we've all done it. Really, blame society.
You didn't design that oil filler, nor manufacture it, nor market it, but you did bolt it on.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

That particular brass fitting on your filler is likely quite small internally adding to your issues.

I actually like that filler on my 2165 but I use it in conjunction with both valve covers vented all ran to a buggy style breather.

Buy an fuel pump block with a fitting and run that to the other valve cover and I’ll wager your problems will disappear

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Get rid of that crap aluminum oil filler you have on your car and put the stock filler with the downdraft tube with the rubber sleeve on the bottom. Then run a line to a breather box or catch can or soup can or beer can or whatever you want to call it and run another hose from the fuel pump block off to the can as well. Get rid of that hose to your air filter.

The crap you have on there now uses a 1/4npt brass fitting-take it off and look at the inside diameter of the hole and compare it to a stock filler that has an opening and a down draft tube that are both larger than you are currently using!
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To breather box or not breather box...that is the question Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
That particular brass fitting on your filler is likely quite small internally adding to your issues.

I actually like that filler on my 2165 but I use it in conjunction with both valve covers vented all ran to a buggy style breather.

Buy an fuel pump block with a fitting and run that to the other valve cover and I’ll wager your problems will disappear

I put a fitting in my block off and am running a hose to my breather box... which valve cover should I run it to
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: