Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plug wire oops
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

I had some wires taken off the distributor today. I put the wire from the coil back on the #2 spot on the distributor and the #2 wire in the center of the distributor. I cranked it for about 5 seconds and then found the error. I fixed it but now the car won’t start it just cranks. What kind of damage could I have done? I think my battery is also shot but it’s a coincidental time to finally be shot. I’m goi g to replace the battery tomorrow but I’m worried about the coil and distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

Plugs are wet with fuel, pull them, dry them, crank the engine with the plugs out, put them back in & fire it up. Check the oil & see if it smells like fuel, if so, change it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

IF it sits over night it should be fine to start without pulling plugs. Try and start it and it it doesn't fire right away, hold the choke open (I use a screw driver handle to wedge in it) and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor WHILE you are cranking it over and hold it there till it starts. When it fires let the pedal up and remove whatever you use to hold open the choke. But after sitting all night it should dry out enough to start.

brad
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

I would verify that you have actual spark... I kinda doubt you flooded it with 5 seconds of no fire cranking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I had some wires taken off the distributor today. I put the wire from the coil back on the #2 spot on the distributor and the #2 wire in the center of the distributor. I cranked it for about 5 seconds and then found the error. I fixed it but now the car won’t start it just cranks. What kind of damage could I have done? I think my battery is also shot but it’s a coincidental time to finally be shot. I’m goi g to replace the battery tomorrow but I’m worried about the coil and distributor.

You didn't do any damage but you probably still have plug wires on the wrong spots at the distributor cap.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

I made sure the wires are correct now. I took the battery to be checked and it’s fine. I removed the plugs and dried them and reinstalled them. Verified wires again. Timed again. Accelerator pump sprayed fuel into carb. Still no starting. I’ll check spark but I’m alone here. Can’t turn the key and mess with wires at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I made sure the wires are correct now. I took the battery to be checked and it’s fine. I removed the plugs and dried them and reinstalled them. Verified wires again. Timed again. Accelerator pump sprayed fuel into carb. Still no starting. I’ll check spark but I’m alone here. Can’t turn the key and mess with wires at the same time.

It could be simple as a blown fuse. And you'll have no spark. Easy to check the fuses as a first step.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

Could he have fried the coil?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

You can easily check for spark by pulling one of the plug wires from the spark plug.
Find yourself a large philips screwdriver (with a non-metallic handle!) that has a shaft with a diameter that will fit snugly into the end of the spark plug wire (but not so big as to widen the plug wire connector and create a loose fit for the spark plug when it is later put back in).

Holding the screwdriver by only the insulated handle, place it very close to an electrical Ground such as some clean unpainted part of the engine case (being sure to stay far away from any easily combustible source such as spilled oil/gas).
Then have someone briefly crank the engine, and if the coil is good and the ignition system is distributing power properly you should see a nice strong spark jump between the screwdriver shaft and the electrical Ground.

I also found these images showing the generic method of testing the coil with an ohm meter ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note those are "generic" instructions, so I'm not certain how close the expected range of readings are to what you should expect from a VW application-specific coil.
If your readings are way off, though, then the coil is most likely bad.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I made sure the wires are correct now.

That's what they all say. Til they figure out they're still wrong. Smile
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

It could be simple as a blown fuse. And you'll have no spark. Easy to check the fuses as a first step.

The ignition coil is not fused, at least the way VW wired the system. A blown fuse will not cause a no-spark situation in any stock air-cooled VW.

Easy enough to check for power to the coil with a voltmeter or test light on coil terminal 15 with ignition turned on.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

OK take a minute and do basics. Sounds like you have fuel getting to the carb so let's focus on spark:

1) Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with a voltmeter. If it reads 12.6v, proceed. If it doesn't, put it on a battery charger until it does and then proceed. If resting battery voltage is below 12.6v, the battery is not fully charged.

2) VERIFY that the black wire coming to the coil from the ignition switch is connected to terminal 15 of the coil. (and don't skip this being like "oh I know it is" because that's how you miss stupid stuff that causes the car not to start and you end up chasing your tail.)

3) VERIFY that the (usually) green wire going to the condensor is connected to the opposite spade terminal on the coil, terminal 1.

4) Attach the positive probe of a voltmeter or test lamp to terminal 15 of the coil. Attach the negative probe to a good ground. Turn the key to ON. You should measure approximately 12v at the coil (or the test light should light up). If so, turn ignition off and proceed. If not, trace back and find out why you don't have power to the coil.

5) Verify your understanding of the cylinder numbers. Standing behind the car looking at the engine, the cylinders are numbered like so:

--front of car--
3 1
4 2

6) Looking at the distributor cap, find the wire that runs to cylinder number 1. Make a mental note of its position on the cap.

7) Remove the distributor cap. For giggles, try to turn the rotor by hand. You should not be able to do it. If you can, that was your problem - rotor not seated all the way or distributor not fully seated in drive gear. If you can't turn it, proceed.

Cool Turn the engine over by hand until the TDC mark on the pulley (usually a dimple on the rim of the pulley) is lined up with the crankcase seam and the rotor is pointing to the spot on the distributor cap where the #1 wire connects. The distributor body should have a notch in it that the rotor is supposed to point to when you're at #1 but you can't take that at face value because someone may have installed your distributor drive gear incorrectly in the past.

9) Remove the right side valve cover and physically verify that the valves for cylinder #1 are both closed (both valve stems same height and you can wiggle the rocker arms with the normal .006" of play). If they are, re-install valve cover and proceed. If they are not, you are at TDC on the exhaust stroke for #1 and your plug wires are in the wrong place on the distributor cap - you have put #1 where #3 should be.

If that's what happened, rotate engine by hand another 360 degrees until the TDC mark on the pulley again lines up with the crankcase seam. Now verify #1 valves are both closed. If so, that is TDC on the compression stroke for #1. Whatever position on the distributor cap the rotor is pointing to (regardless of the notch) is the position on the cap for #1. Re-arrange plug wires as necessary.

10) By this point you have verified that your #1 is in the right place or you have moved it to the right place on the cap. Make sure rotor is fully seated on its shaft, then re-install distributor cap.

11) Going clockwise around the cap from #1, the next one is #4. Then #3. Then #2. And of course ensure that the center lead from the coil is connected to the center position of the distributor cap.

12) Now that your plug wires are correct, do a quick static timing verification just to ensure that the timing is close enough to allow the engine to start. Connect a test lamp or voltmeter between the coil negative terminal (the one the condensor connects to) and a good ground. Turn the engine backwards a little bit from #1 TDC. Turn the ignition on and slowly rotate the engine clockwise by hand. At the time that the timing mark on the pully lines up with the crankcase seam, you should see the test light turn on or measure ~12v on your meter (and if it's quiet where you're working you can also usually hear the click of the spark).
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

And to add to #2 above... If the battery only measures 10VDC... You have a bad cell and need a new battery. Just happened to me. Mine wouldn't turn over, so that's probably not it.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

Plug wires are correct on distributor. The car was running albeit not very well a few days ago. Today I checked the coil and all readings were within normal ranges. I suppose tomorrow I’ll check the rotor is seated, but the cap has not been off since the car last started.

Can I connect a test light to the ends of the plug wires so I can see if the bulb lights while turning the key? I won’t have anyone to turn the key for me until at least this weekend. I need a one-man method of checking spark on the wires.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:

Can I connect a test light to the ends of the plug wires so I can see if the bulb lights while turning the key? I won’t have anyone to turn the key for me until at least this weekend. I need a one-man method of checking spark on the wires.

Voltage on the HT leads is at least 10,000 volts so I wouldn't recommend using your test light with that. Laughing

One-man method is easy, turn ignition on and crank engine by hand with a wrench on the generator pulley.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

I have spark on the HV wire but nothing on the plug end of each wire. The coil checks out. The battery checks out. Static timing is done. Rotor spinning with motor, seated.

Could the Pertronix points replacement be burned? Any procedure for testing it?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
OK take a minute and do basics. Sounds like you have fuel getting to the carb so let's focus on spark:

12) Now that your plug wires are correct, do a quick static timing verification just to ensure that the timing is close enough to allow the engine to start. Connect a test lamp or voltmeter between the coil negative terminal (the one the condensor connects to) and a good ground. Turn the engine backwards a little bit from #1 TDC. Turn the ignition on and slowly rotate the engine clockwise by hand. At the time that the timing mark on the pully lines up with the crankcase seam, you should see the test light turn on or measure ~12v on your meter (and if it's quiet where you're working you can also usually hear the click of the spark).

Do this^^^^^^^^
You can either turn the engine or turn the distributor.
A good “ground” for me has always been carb linkage.
You do want the engine at #1 TDC for a starting point and mark where everything started out with a grease pencil or white out.
If the test light fires then the Pertonix is fine. If it doesn’t light, then you know the Pertronix is dead.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

I did this today and the light lit up right where it usually does.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I have spark on the HV wire but nothing on the plug end of each wire. The coil checks out. The battery checks out. Static timing is done. Rotor spinning with motor, seated.

Could the Pertronix points replacement be burned? Any procedure for testing it?

If the Pertronix is dead you won't have any spark at all.

If you are getting spark from coil to distributor cap but not out of distributor cap, then you have either a faulty distributor cap or faulty rotor (perhaps burnt resistor inside the rotor).

Also for future reference please let us know at the beginning if you are using non-stock equipment such as Pertronix as that may be important for troubleshooting.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plug wire oops Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
Plug wires are correct on distributor. The car was running albeit not very well a few days ago. Today I checked the coil and all readings were within normal ranges. I suppose tomorrow I’ll check the rotor is seated, but the cap has not been off since the car last started.

For future reference, you can pick up a remote starter cord pretty inexpensively ...

Amazon wrote:
- Cranks engine from under the hood without the help of an assistant

- Includes heavy duty 6-foot oil and grease resistant leads

- Extra large, easy to use insulated metal clips eliminate risk of accidental shock

- Works on computer controlled and conventional vehicles

- Durable shock resistant ABS plastic housing features ergonomically designed grip

If I'm following everything correctly thus far, it sounds like you've ...
- measured coil with an ohm meter and found it to be within expected ranges
- verified connections are correct on all plug wires, coil and condenser
- verified that rotor is correctly seated
- performed the static timing procedure and verified that test light comes on at correct point

... yet you do not believe that the voltage is making it to the plug end of any of the four plug wires.

Is this correct?

There was a similar situation disussed in the old thread "Can you fry a 009 dizzy" from back in July 2017.
57BLITZ had posted a response there that may offer a clue as to what is happening in your own situation as well ...

57BLITZ wrote:
Troubleshooting is all about determining and eliminating possible causes of a problem. It sounds like you have already determined the pertronix unit is working by the fact that you have spark going into the top of your distributor cap. The next thing is to figure out if the problem is now in your cap, or the plug wires. When you look inside your distributor cap does it have that little spring loaded contact in the center? Did you clean the inside of the cap with something that might be causing the spark to Arc where it is not supposed to go? And I don't even need to ask if you have one of those stupid, transparent distributor caps that are known to have problems, correct? If the cap appears good, check your plug wires with an ohmmeter. If the wires seem okay, insert a spark plug into the end of the wire and ground the body of the spark plug to your alternator stand to see if it will throw a spark across the plug gap.

I see that sjbartnik was also just a tad bit faster than me with posting that same thought. Smile

If all else fails, you know that the plug wires are now all in their correct positions but have you verified that all wires (coil and all four plug wires) are properly seated in the distributor cap?
If you can, on the distributor end of each wire try sliding the rubber insulating boot several inches back up the wire. (This may or may not be possible, depending upon how the plug wires are constructed.)
That will allow you to verify that the wire end is seating all the way down into the appropriate hole of the distributor cap, and that it is fitting snug enough to make a solid connection.
One you know that the end is properly seated in the distributor cap, then you can slide the insulating boot back down the wire into place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: