Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build Date
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Build Date Reply with quote

I have ordered the “birth certificate” for my sons 1968 Ghia coupe, but I would like to get ordering some parts for it and from what I see there were some mid year changes on these cars. I did some searching but ii didn’t see where a build date would be. is there any other way to find the build date on the car or do I need to wait for the paperwork from Germany? I’ve looked all over the thing but can’t seem to find anything. I’m sure I’m missing something, but if you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I Apologize for the ignorance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

On my 1971 it's in the trunk, passenger side fender, behind the spare tire, just above the fuel tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For a discussion on deciphering the numbers, see this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694505&highlight=

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

Would this be it? Says 11769 with an 8 stamped sideways underneath
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

Anyone?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
Anyone?

Its been well covered .... here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694505
... and mentioned in this thread just a few posts ago Embarassed

If you are new here, Firstly , Welcome. We are glad to have you join us on the ride. Secondly, have a peek at the stickies on the top part of the topics list. If you drill down through those you'll entertain yourself for hours and learn the basics real quick.
Enjoy!
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

I must be the worst searcher ever. Sorry about that and thanks for the links. Think I can get it figured now.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

If your car has late features (heat vent under door on heater channel) 99% its a late 68.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
If your car has late features (heat vent under door on heater channel) 99% its a late 68.

Like this? I don't see anything directly under the door. Just these up in the front. Awesome car by the way. Love the color

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

Exactly. Early 1968.
Cool Thank you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

Ended up taking the tie rods off and taking them to the local VW shop to match them up. Apparently the car was made after 5/68, has the bigger ones. I just did wheel bearings on the front and they were the bigger inner bearings also. Should have probably waited for the birth certificate I ordered for the car cause they cost me a bit more than ordering them from Airhead, JBugs, etc. but I do like the local VW shop here and I have no patience when I want to get going on a project.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Date Reply with quote

Ah the joys of questionable 68 parts... I feel you. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: