Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stroke
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Stroke Reply with quote

How big of a stroke can you go on stock case and stock pistons? Want to stroke a 92mm pistons with out having to machine the case or change pistons.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

76mm seems to be the tipping point between A and B pin height pistons.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

74mm crank, CB unitec, drop right in. Not sure on the piston skirts on AA 92s, stock 85.5 will hit while forged 85.5 will not. I think the larger bore might fit no mods needed
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

A lot depends on the rods CB I-beams performance 5.4" Rods would probably work with 74mm stroke stock p&c bore. CB Racing 5.5" H-beams or CB Uni-tech with 76mm stroke with B pistons.
If going with the shorter 5.325" rods to keep your stock pushrods and engine width, either Aftermarket 5.325" I Beam ARP rods or CB Racing H-beam 5.325" Rods the skirts are going to be a problem on small bores below 92mm. Skirts are easy to grind though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

there are lots of depends....and some are full of shit Shocked I ran cast mahle 87mm A pistons with 78.8 stroke in my 1874...worked great. piston about .090" out with a .060 aluminum head gasket and the step in the mofoco heads upened up to 87.5mm so the piston could go up in it and get about .035 piston to head clearance...( quench) and.....some shimmeys under the jugs too.stons I suppose you could use the 92 a pistons and long cylinders with a 86 stroke crank and long rods... probably even 90 mm crank if your carfull with all the clearanceing. but since your asking a kinda openended question your just fishen for wishes and only catching what if's.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

dont forget, the more you stroke it the better it will feel.... how long it last is up to you....
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

I’m looking at staying below 78mm stroke.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

Why are you intimidated by machine work.

74mm stroke with 5.325" rods and "A" pistons.

76mm stroke with 5.5" rods and "B" pistons.

With both you may need some slight clearancing on the case that you can achieve at home with a dremmel tool.

I've heard of guys putting 90mm strokes in a stock case with lots of expert machine work.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

76 stroke and H-beams with 5/16 bolts will probably drop-in, no clearance work needed. Get the 5.325 H-beams from CB.
The pistons skirts on a 92a piston will clear the crank just fine.

You should hone the cylinders and use fresh rings.
Sorry it turns out engine building IS machine work. It's just, who does it. You, or another guy.

Last edited by modok on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

back in the day we used to use 76mm cranks with 5.6 rods and B pistons to avoid excess deck height. Are AA piston heights that different now that you can use the 5.3/B combo and not have to machine the deck or cylinder to achieve tight quench? The 78mm and 5.5 combo was almost perfect

I originally built my mini stroker and avoided machine work as the case was brand new AND I wanted to keep the cost the same as a regular 1600 build. These days I dread any machine work with the horror stories Ive heard and the machine work Ive seen from socal 'pros'.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroke Reply with quote

OOPS I said b when I meant A
I think he has A pistons
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: