Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replica Kubelwagen. New project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Just embarking on a Kubelwagen replica, having rounded up some essential parts to make sure its possible. I have enough dimensions and photos with 2 vital exceptions.
Have been making a press for ribs. I would like the height and width of the ribs confirmed. I have mixed info from Tamiya 1/16 and Revel 1/9 models and scale English war evaluation cross section drawing. Ribs vary from 4mm to 7mm high and widths difficult to judge where on flat or radius they are measured.
Please can any of you good folks out there help. Anything will be welcome, a full profile would really be helpful as some ribs appear to have angled sides while some are all radii.
Thank you to all on here that have built replicas and shared. without you, my build would remain at a plastic kit.
Looking forward to your replies.
Neil, Southampton, England.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

if you don't get a response here then how about contacting
https://www.kdf.cz/inpage/kontakt/
or
http://www.repuestossam.com/en/kubelwagen/parts.html

who make repro parts

looking forward to following your project on here
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Thank you, Finster. I will be ordering some parts from the Czech company that I cannot make like the mudguards (fenders) spare wheel holder and its strengthening ribs. Very useful website with photos. I thought it a bit cheeky to ask for dimensions to make what they sell. Perhaps its worth a go.
Yes, I fully intend to share my build and hopefully inspire others as I have been. Its other purpose is to teach my car mad 14 year old son some metalworking skills. Neil.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

This thread is required reading. He did an outstanding job on his repro.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140035&highlight=repro+kubelwagen

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Thank you Splitjunkie, this chap has been one of my inspirations, he did a fantastic job building it as they were built. There is is another chap on here that did it the box tube frame method. Again, a very good job. Mine is looking to be a mix of both. This is where I'm grateful to people sharing their experience.
Thanks, Neil
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I am very much looking forward to your progress on this and will be following. I have considered either buying a real one or buying a reproduction or making one as well. Will you be selling kits or parts? Will this be based off a type 1 pan or a 181 pan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I'm nearly finished with a replica. Ordered the dash from http://www.repuestossam.com/en/kubelwagen/parts.html
Very helpful people!
I also used a mid-fifties speedo. It's a little larger than original. Someone sold a decal that approximates and early kdf. $6.
Used a repopped barndoor bus wheel from CIP1. Ended up machining my own steering shaft. A bug wheel wd have been easier but they were out of stock.
I also chose to use a 1960 turn signal box. 6 wire. It was easy to adapt.
Kubel is a 5 fuse. I bought a generic wire harness with 6 fuse box and spare box form CIP1 and sawed one fuse off each. Much cheaper and you can hardly tell.
Top frame is actually from a bug. I narrowed it a couple inches. It's almost a perfect fit.
Also bought a 4' pan and box brake to fold up the panels. Could not have done without it. My doors and deck lids have bent steel edges and no square tubing. I'm also hoarding a stupid amount of ammo boxes, MG drums, and misc to adorn it afterward. The fun has just started...

I'll post some more pics in next couple days..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Type 181 Thing
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Not sure how much of this is helpful.
Learned a number of things along the way, i.e. "Footman Loops" are the things you weld onto the body to attach the canvas top.
1973 Thing exhaust.
Might be 1960 drums on the front and Thing drums on the back. Lug bolts are the same.
I can look up all the parts and be more detailed. Really wanted a gear reduction trans but ended up using a chassis given to me and grafting a link pin beam onto it. I can always convert to gear reduction later. At least now I can drive it on the interstate..
Wheels are 16s. Tires are from Coker Tire.
A lot of parts came from SoCal and CIP1.

73 Type 181 Thing
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

The U.K. is a treasure trove of militaria from the era. Great selections of paint and gear. I'm envious.

Now that the weather is cold I've been hoarding the gear and spent ammo to make into dummy rounds. Have had great luck finding deals on German equipment repainted Yugo apple green and getting them cheap if the paint is rubbish. I strip them anyway. Labor intensive, but it's a hobby.

Didn't have any gear on my previous Kubel.

73 Type 181 Thing
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Mr White, no plans to offer a kit or parts but that may change on how things turn out. I've rounded up a reduction transmission (which needs narrowing) being a machinist, this is my area so no problem, the same with press tooling. basing on a type 1 pan. currently making a brake press to do ribs, and doors. if this goes ok then its a true go ahead. not done much Sheetmetal work since an apprentice back in the 1980's .Its going to be a learning curve. Will keep my progress posted on here. Thank you
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Ralph d, some good work going on there. Notice your use of box tube. This is my line of thought for frame. It really depends on how my Sheetmetal ability goes to how much I eventually use. Some very useful photos and a link that I have not found. I thought I had found them all. thanks. Did you press your own ribs and panels? Ive still not commited to rib height or profile. Need to get access to a real Kubel. Great stuff .keep it up and thanks.
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Randers:
I can't really help with rib height. Mine are rolled in. I did use the 1/6 scale model years ago on my first Kubel. THis is my second attempt.
I did intend to not use much 1" steel tubing but there were places where it ust made sense. Intention is to make additional panels on the inside so that it's hidden. My previous car had used 1" tube in doors and deck lids and that really was annoying. On the earlier I also made a die to stamp the rear louvers. On this it has the desert "cover". I'm not a source of info on dimensions. One critical thing I have seen is at the engine generator pulley. Plan ahead so the tail is long enough to clear this. I didn't think about it and mine comes within 3/8" of touching.
I also had access to an original Kubel windscreen from a friend who aquired it in France - from a farmer.
Also, the pinch welds along the body are a very nice feature. Be sure to include them. By purchasing fenders and pressing in the ribs I think yours could be super close to indistinguishable from original.

Very best wishes.
73 Type 181 Thing
Kubekwagen Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

If you need dimensions from an original, I may be able to help. I have a 1945 Kubelwagen.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Mike, all I really need is the depth of ribs measured in back of a door or height measured on outside. If you think they vary over vehicle please can you measure them too please. some photos appear to show engine cover having deeper ribs than the sides. your help here would be most appreciated. Thanks,
Neil.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

RalphD, yes, pinch welds are very much a feature and they will be on mine. I was also told not to make too good a job of the body as it will look wrong. They are quite rough. A saving grace with my unproven sheet metal skills. Thank you for your pulley clearance advice. Neil.
Kubekwagen Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring the front lower shield on my typ 82. I had to stamp a panel section with a rib. I made a lower plate with two wide strips 1.050" apart, .125" thick material. I placed a piece of .040" thick sheet metal over this plate and place a strip .75" wide .125" thick, over the lower slot. Then place a large piece of metal over the whole thing and put it in a press. It came out pretty good.
Kubekwagen Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the panel I am working on.
Randers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Mike, some very useful dimensions and method there. An interesting repair section. Thank you. Neil.
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

Kubelwagen top frame. Suitable for replicas.
To bend the steel tubing I welded one end shut and packed sand into it. Drove a bolt in the other end and welded that. Then bent using a conduit bender.
It will fold flatter than pictured. Just wanted a useful picture.
Keep in mind that just as 11 and 12 are one piece, so is 3 and 14. 4 and 5. 9 and 7.

The strap is 3/4". Went a little thicker than necessary. I'll measure later.
Measurements are from an original Kubel. I drilled them precisely and no modifications were needed.

1. 72.5mm
2. 26.3
3. 25.7
4. 9.6
5. 21.0
6. 17.0
7. 9.5
8. 17.6
9. 23.3
10. 35.2
11. 27.8
12. 17.0
13. 23.5
14. 16.9

73 Type 181 Thing
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica Kubelwagen. New project Reply with quote

I'm still working on the correct distributor and cap. It's a 36hp trying to look like a 25. The fan shroud is from 1960 which isn't even close.

When I go the the grocery store I pull a PAK 36 for fun

73 Type 181 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: