Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Tim - yeah, i won't be buying the full cloth inserts in the future. Finally got it installed, your idea of bolting in the replacement fang worked. I used a self-tapping stainless steel screw and one of those washers w/teeth. I was able to get a small amount of the headrest slack out w/the heat gun, but it will never fit like the factory cover snug over the cushion. This will have to do for now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's always something though. The fat bolts that hold the seat back to the base are both stripped, can't tighten them fully, they just keep turning. Hopefully it's the bolts and not the frame that are messed up. I'm going to swap in the ones from the passenger side when I take that seat apart - assuming they're good. Does anyone sell replacements...?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Actually, the seat looks pretty good now.

As far as the seat bolts go, you can get some OEM ones off the Samba Classifieds. If none are for sale, do a WTB ad. Shouldn’t cost much.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Cusser, sounds like you’re getting a good deal. Five years ago, a reputable, reasonably-priced upholstery shop here in town wanted $329.00 just for the labor of doing my front and back seats.
Tim

Tim - "we'll see" once I get those installed on the 14th. A former co-worker of mine told me this shop had done a set for his son, and was satisfied.

Back in 1976 I had my 1970 VW front and rear seats reupholstered by a local shop, still like that today except the wear and tear and 23 years sitting on the side of my home in the Arizona sun. I don't remember the cost then but dollar then doesn't correlate to dollar today. That job took one day, they made the covers from my original sun-ruined original "leatherette" seats.

In 1979 I had similar done on my 1971 Convertible, which has had less wear and has been either garaged or covered with a blanket most of its life since I bought it in 1976.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Got a reply from both JBugs and TMI. I have to say, I'm impressed w/the responsiveness of both vendors. Here's the reply from TMI:

Hi Jimmy and Jaime,

Re; Seat Upholstery Fit Issue.

Yes, I agree that the headrest area of the seats look a little ill-fitting but not sure if a pattern issue or an installation issue.
The Tweed Cloth and Vinyl combination do have different stretch factors that could contribute to the loose appearance.
A little more information will help diagnose the possible issue and solution.

What Year and Model of VW?
What TMI Part Numbers were Ordered?
Were the Headrest Foam Pads, Part No. 43-1023, Ordered as well? Or are the old headrest pads being reused? (some extra padding helps take up the space of older collapsed foam)
There is a Listing Channel at the bottom front of the headrest that pulls the seam in. Was this used? The seat upholstery does not look pulled in at that point as it should.

Also, there are Two Very Similar Seats for 1974-76 VW Beetles, and are not interchangeable.
43-1128-1974-76 Bug and,
43-1721-1976 Bug with “Rabbit Style” Seats.

Let us know and we’ll try to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Thank you,
Dean Satterfield

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Heading over to Buggy Man in Lorton to pickup a pair of replacement bolts for the seatback then I'm going to install it in the car. I'm going to ride w/it for now and at least until TMI decides to replace the covers or not. Frankly, no one but the ACVW conscious person or an uphosltery pro will notice that the slack shouldn't be there.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

I think they ended up fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

To me, they look beautiful! In fact, I plan on using the same color tweed in my seats soon...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to stick with what I got. Here's the last reply from JBUGS.

Date: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:43 AM -0500
Subject: RE: Issue w/TIM Seat covers
To: <victor>

The “gist” of what I got from their response, is that they feel this is most likely an issue caused by shrinking foam on the headrest, which is a fairly typical occurrence on a seat pad of this age. If we want to pursue a warranty claim on this, they will want the upholstery sent to them for inspection and from there, they will deliberate on what needs to be done, if anything. If you really feel that there is an error in manufacturing on this seat, and they decline any warranty, I can pay to have another set made. I am told due to their current work load, this can now take as long as 10 weeks, and it will very likely be made the exact same as what you have. I believe this to be true, because they have been using the same pattern now for 20 years, and their thinking is that the pattern “works for everybody else”.

Have you attempted to add any material, foam or anything to try to alleviate the issue? Based on the videos shared, we have seen from demonstrations from other upholstery shops, that using additional foam is not unusual in this particular procedure, and will most likely be required in any replacement upholstery used also. I very much want to see that you are satisfied, but I am also bound by the reality of the situation. I am really concerned, that we will pursue this, and we will wind up with an identical replacement. We can continue to pursue them if you like, but it is true, the pattern used seems to work for all other seats, and without your actual seat frames being at the TMI facility, I do not see how they can make this custom fit to your frames. I really feel the quickest path to having a completed seat, is to simply add some foam in the needed areas as seen in the videos provided. If this were a bad seam, or separating material, or something like that, it would be a completely different issue altogether. I await your thoughts and apologize that I do not have a more satisfactory answer but in truth, adding and removing foam/material to make a proper fit is just part of upholstery work and for me to claim that having a replacement made is going to alleviate that is simply creating a false expectation.

I await your thoughts, and sincerely appreciate your patience, and your business

Jaime Marrison
Sales/Product Manager

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Well, I see their point.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

I just got new seat upholstery for our 2005 Yukon at http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com

They look good.
http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3212&d=1547650044.jpg
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I just got new seat upholstery for our 2005 Yukon at http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com

They look good.
http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3212&d=1547650044.jpg

Couldn't see your seats, requires a logon. Wonder if anyone here has tried their VW covers?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Per a phone conversation I had with TMI, concerning the gaps at the ends of my rear TMI speaker shelf, he said that they were aware of the gaps, but it didn’t seem to bother anyone else. It bothered me, so Jbugs took the shelf back and refunded me the price of it, but not the shipping costs.

So, they knew there were gaps, but didn’t think it was a big deal. It was. These gaps were 3/4 inch in depth, and about four inches on each end as the shelf wrapped around the back (just under the window). That was a big deal to me.

I have to wonder if a combination of the vinyl and the cloth, where it meets the headrest, is a problem because the materials have different stretch qualities—but perhaps not in TMI’s opinion. Sure, it can be filled in with padding, but that’s a trial and error situation for novices, don’t you think? After all, the solid basketweave TMI set I bought fitted perfectly, from headrest to the bottom where it wraps around the barbs.

Regardless, Victor, the seat turned out well; but I have a feeling you won’t go with TMI—if you go with cloth/vinyl—next time around.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Tim...i'll probably do a bit more research the next time I do seat covers...

Now about those TMI tan door cards for my '73....wait 'till I post pictures of THOSE, and Jamie's reply...

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Damn! My TMI cards were perfect! What the hell is going on with them? Five years is a long time, I guess.

Show us some pictures of the cards, Victor.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Here you go Tim. Edges came w/out staples, glued edges are coming apart. Pocket isn't stapled on either so I have to wonder about the longevity of that item once it's installed on a regularly driven car - which is my plan eventually for the '73.

The rear ones haven't peeled off yet but I fully expect them to.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

the sun works wonders and wont burn them, but a hair drier also works, if you have a heat gun be very carfull. dryer is also good. as is a extra pair of hands.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

I can’t remember if my TMI door cards were stapled at the pocket. Of course, I don’t overstuff them like I’ve seen on some that are stretched out of shape, as if the owners had crammed an unabridged dictionary in there.

You might just reglue any suspect areas, or send them back for ones that are properly glued to begin with.

One thing I did was coat the inside with several coats of oil-based paint. This sealed up the surface to prevent mold. Even with a good plastic barrier, after a few years, moisture seems to find the lower half of these cards.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Tim, i'm not going to bother sending them back. I did send the pics to JBugs and am going to post them in the office parts whine thread. I kind of like that idea of the oil-based paint on the back. What paint was it exactly? Rustoleum brush on? Some other brand? Outdoor wood door paint...?

Mark, i will give the blow dryer a try. I'll likely also re-glue it and find short staples to use, like the factory ones from my '74 has.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

Victor, I used brush-on oil-based Rustoleum. I didn’t want to spray because I wanted no overspray on the edges.

I also bought a color that was close to the Saddle of the vinyl. Just in case I got a little on the edge. You have to be careful when painting abround the clip holes. You don’t want any goop in them. New clips are a bitch to get in the holes as it is.

It takes at least two coats because the fiber material they use is very absorbent (that’s why I sealed it).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to TMI Pre-Fab Seat Covers? Reply with quote

That seat color combo is excellent!

I know it's too late now but a thin collar of 1/2" foam at the base of the headrest would take care of the headrest slack. But it's really not noticeable IMO. I remember in my seats I test fit the cover and added foam layering where needed. I even went to the extent of sewing up a felt cap over headrest and seat shoulder for overall smoothness.

Door cards - be sure that you install a plastic shield sealed to the metal door frame before installing door cards and using the rubber grommets for the card attachment clips. That will go a long ways to keeping the cardboard intact.

In my case I had 10mil plastic around that I used for this application. Note the silicone sealant bead.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: