Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto?
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I was putting a brake parts order together for Cip1 and just for the heck of it decided to check to see if I could buy the same / similar parts through Rock Auto (I'ved used them numerous times to by parts for domestic vehicles I've owned, and always found the service and parts good). I was surprised to see the VERY reasonable prices on VW parts (names like Carlson, and IAP). Is Rock Auto a common source for parts for vintage VWs?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I’ve used them for brakes and tierods a couple of times now. No issues.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

Like you, I’ve used them on a bunch of other cars.
Nothing on my Bug yet.
I like Everything I’ve purchased so far, so I dont See why Bug parts would be any different. Especially for the parts you are looking fir.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

The one thing that made me curious was the cost difference: For front brake shoes at Cip1.com, they want $24.99; at Rock Auto they're asking $14.50 (USD in both examples). "Usually" price indicates quality ...... However, I think I'll go ahead and order from Rock Auto, and see how it turns out.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I've used Rockauto for several things, and everything has been acceptable except the cheapo tie rod ends I bought for my Miata, which i expected, at $8 each.
I bought all the stuff to put name brand timing components and water pump on my TDI Jetta, and it was less than half the price of the box parts houses, and was the exact same brand and everything, excellent quality, and was at my house within a couple days of ordering.
I am waiting now for a galvanized muffler for my 62 bug that was only $67, so we shall see. Hopefully it'll be better than the rusted out POS I have.
If Rockauto continues to meet my expectations, while saving me money, I will continue to use them, and endorse them to anyone who asks. I'll post how my cheap bug muffler is once I get it.
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I have used RockAuto on and off for many years. Normally I order items for my other cars, like wiper blades along with generic plastic items as needed. In that regard, I generally very good success and they ship very fast, too.

I learned a lesson though, be very careful buying anything from RockAuto for your precious VW. A couple of months ago, they listed cooling tins that would fit a '76 Beetle. I didn't understand until after the fact, but what should have stopped me was the stock photo on their website. It clearly shows a picture of a '74 and down type cooling tin. It is clearly false advertising. I wanted to alert Rockauto about the issue but they are not taking calls or emails from the public...shame, shame.

Since I could not contact Rockauto directly, to make a claim about the part for return they cleverly devised a series of questions on their website that worked in their favor. Long story short, they will not take the tins back. Now I have a set of '74 and down tins I have no use for...

This experience put a stop of any purchases with Rockauto for my VW. I will stick with the VW retailers and fellow Sambaians.

Buyer beware.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
I have used RockAuto on and off for many years. Normally I order items for my other cars, like wiper blades along with generic plastic items as needed. In that regard, I generally very good success and they ship very fast, too.

I learned a lesson though, be very careful buying anything from RockAuto for your precious VW. A couple of months ago, they listed cooling tins that would fit a '76 Beetle. I didn't understand until after the fact, but what should have stopped me was the stock photo on their website. It clearly shows a picture of a '74 and down type cooling tin. It is clearly false advertising. I wanted to alert Rockauto about the issue but they are not taking calls or emails from the public...shame, shame.

Since I could not contact Rockauto directly, to make a claim about the part for return they cleverly devised a series of questions on their website that worked in their favor. Long story short, they will not take the tins back. Now I have a set of '74 and down tins I have no use for...

This experience put a stop of any purchases with Rockauto for my VW. I will stick with the VW retailers and fellow Sambaians.

Buyer beware.

I am so angry right now, I had the same experience. I bought top of the line AC Delco ball joints for my bus and within a few months (never even driven on) the ball joint’s boots ripped wide open. Had the same issue as not eligible for return BS

I also recently got some injectors rebuilt through them and 3 didn’t work at first and now I think ones sticking open dropping my fuel economy. I definitely am not happy with the quality
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Gr0unded wrote:

Buyer beware.

I am so angry right now, I had the same experience. I bought top of the line AC Delco ball joints for my bus and within a few months (never even driven on) the ball joint’s boots ripped wide open. Had the same issue as not eligible for return BS

I also recently got some injectors rebuilt through them and 3 didn’t work at first and now I think ones sticking open dropping my fuel economy. I definitely am not happy with the quality

STOP USING ROCK AUTO until more Samba members chime in with GREAT stories. With a "cleverly devised" question (recorded) return policy, this is NOT a good sign. You have been warned!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
STOP USING ROCK AUTO until more Samba members chime in with GREAT stories. With a "cleverly devised" question (recorded) return policy, this is NOT a good sign. You have been warned!

Yep, I was able to get to the return process but they want the entire ball joint and boot sent in to get my refund when only the boots are bad. They won’t accept the just boots and are unwilling to work with me and just send back copy and pasted messages for the most part. They are totally useless Rolling Eyes
Here is the email to use to contact them: [email protected]
The phone number that it says not to call but the only one you can call is: +1(608)661-1376

Parts are about the same as the rest for quality but customer service is terrible so if you order from them be ready to be screwed
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I've ordered a lot of parts from them over the years. I like that they list parts as 'economy', 'standard equipment', and 'premium', so you can get the quality you want. Prices have been a fraction of what I can get locally. I did a brake job on a Jetta and got a complete set of 4 rotors and pads for $225 delivered to my door. By comparison, NAPA wanted around $200 for 1 rotor. They weren't a brand I knew, but the reviews seemed good, and I sold the car a few years later with no complaints about how they held up.
I once had a radiator fan fail, and after answering a handful of automated questions, they agreed to send a new one if I sent the old one back. Seemed fair to me. I had the same thing with an air flow meter. For the amount of parts I've bought, 2 failures is no worse than any other retailer I've bought parts from. Plus, they're selling the same brands of parts you'll get from anywhere else.
I aways add a bunch of odds and ends to my orders. I've bought Bosch wiper blades for $2.50 each, when they are $25 locally. A friend bought Bus brake drums on clearance for $2 each. Yup, $2. I don't recall the brand, but there's no way they're worse than the Empi drums any of the regular VW vendors sell.

I've literally spent 1/2 of the money I would have spent on parts over the years using Rock Auto. So even if I had a losing deal (like the ball joint boot issue Ceckert64 had, which sucks), I'd still feel like I'm miles and dollars ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I am on Rock Auto’s email list, So they send occasionally me some clearance sale lists. Owning a VW shop, I always look for quantity pricing deals on parts I use a lot.
Rock had a really low price on Gates fan belts, So I ordered 30 of them in the 9.5x 905 size.
What they sent looked like they just went through some inventory that wasn’t moving, and threw whatever sizes they felt like in a box and sent it to me.
Only FIVE of the thirty were the correct size I ordered.
of course, since they were a clearance item there are No returns. WTF?!

Another time I ordered from them a starter for an automatic Type 2 as I couldn’t find one locally as quick as I needed it. What they sent me was a starter that fits a Jaguar. Fortunately they did accept that for return, but I got F’ed on having to pay the shipping to return it. WTF?

The only great transaction I had with them was a clearance price on some MOOG brand tie rod ends that were Dirt Cheap. I like that the Moog brand as it comes tapped for, and includes a zirk fitting on them. Unfortunately they only had One part number available, but it’s one that I use often and don’t mind keeping a few on the shelf.
As Sketchy as they have been, I seldom buy from them .

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone buying parts thru Rock Auto? Reply with quote

I've ordered from RockAuto.com close to a dozen times. Their website is one of the best I've ever seen.
Their offerings for any particular part are usually nothing less than awesome, as far as range and choice go.
As an example, there are over 20 different brands/variations to choose from just for front caliper brake pads
for my bus. And the prices are far lower than you'll find at any of your typical VW parts vendors.

It's an online-only business. They do not take emails or phone calls from the public, and I don't blame them.
If there's ever a problem with an order, their online return/status form is perfectly capable of handling it.
I've had to return 2 orders so far, both because the manufacturer-provided application notes were not
accurate, and parts were not usable. It was no problem whatever to fill out the form, and a return shipping
label was quickly provided (at no charge), and the part price paid was refunded as soon as the returned parts were received.
I've dealt with several primarily VW aircooled parts vendors where such fairness and efficiency is a thing unknown.

The website has an extensive set of help pages describing all the different aspects of the return/warranty
process. They have a reasonable 30-day return policy, which is specifically stated to also apply to "closeout"
items, with the caveat that manufacturer's warranty replacement may not be available in that case, but do have
30-day warranty from Rock Auto. Most parts have a clearly stated manufacturer's warranty, which will be honored
by Rock Auto. I know of no business which provides refunds for allegedly defective or mis-sent
goods without requiring the goods to be returned, or to allow returns of installed parts, or pays return shipping for
misordered parts.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: