Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas pedal too sensitive
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

edited:
This is my first bug that I bought it couple month ago.
I think the gas pedal is too sensitive. Specially when I知 in first gear if I depress the gas pedal just a little bit the car starts raving up too fast.
Is there any way to make the gas pedal less sensitive?

Last edited by mojan_n on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

This can be caused by a broken front transmission mount. As soon as the engine rocks from getting a little gas, it pulls the accelerometer cable even more and amplifies the action at the carb.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
This can be caused by a broken front transmission mount. As soon as the engine rocks from getting a little gas, it pulls the accelerometer cable even more and amplifies the action at the carb.

I have checked that front trans mount is good. Is just the car revs up very quickly or in better way gas pedal is very sensitive.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

How did you check the mount? Visually doesn't cut it; you have to jack it up or have someone follow you and watch your tailpipes when you floor it in a low gear.
Do you have a stock carb and pedal, or something aftermarket?
Is the pedal assembly clean and not bent or broken?
Return springs (carb and pedal) connected correctly?
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

What year is your car? There was a change in the accelerator pedal system during the 1966 model year.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

You can loosen the cable at the carb a little, but the car rocking needs further investigation as mentioned. Usually the rear mounts are gone. Have an autostick on the lift right now that had that and the rear mounts visually didnt look real bad, but once we pulled them out, the one side was in 2 pieces.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

Install a heavier throttle return spring on the carb, or double up the factory ones.

brad
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Install a heavier throttle return spring on the carb, or double up the factory ones.

brad

Sure I値l try that.... have you done it before?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

Had this nuisance/problem decades ago, & adding more throttle return spring pressure didn't help at all: the solid-wire throttle cable was galling inside the tube.
Check the mouth of the throttle cable tube precisely @ the arrow for any signs of grooving or abrasion, usually noted around the 09:00 position.
For the record, braided cables from later models seem less prone to this nasty habit, & it never hurts to add a dab of heavy grease to the tube's ID w/ a Q-Tip:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Had this nuisance/problem decades ago, & adding more throttle return spring pressure didn't help at all: the solid-wire throttle cable was galling inside the tube.
Check the mouth of the throttle cable tube precisely @ the arrow for any signs of grooving or abrasion, usually noted around the 09:00 position.
For the record, braided cables from later models seem less prone to this nasty habit, & it never hurts to add a dab of heavy grease to the tube's ID w/ a Q-Tip:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I値l check it tonight. What痴 the solution, only grease?
Thank you.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
I値l check it tonight. What痴 the solution, only grease? Thank you.

Not always.
Worst case: the tube may need a sight tweaking: Pull the cable rearward, & keep it out of the way.
Slip a tapered punch (anything like a nail set, drift, prick punch, etc) into the tube from the front end, & then slightly bend it away from centerline. Fair warning - this tubing is soft.
Those that have given me fits over the decades were the solid wire throttle cables from pre-65 or so, & seems the tubes appreciated a slight left/outboard bend.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

Yes ive done this before one of my bugs that had a very light pedal.

On my race car i have 2 springs on each of the 51EPC carbs, one on the linkage and one on the pedal. It's almost as much work pushin the gas as the clutch LOL

brad
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

brad

Yes ive done this before one of my bugs that had a very light pedal.

On my race car i have 2 springs on each of the 51EPC carbs, one on the linkage and one on the pedal. It's almost as much work pushin the gas as the clutch LOL

brad

I do the same, i don't like a light pedal. I would buy ones like in the link and stretch them until i got the firmness i liked. You can find them at any parts store.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-throttle-return-spring-assortment-59207/9110109-P

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

The spring should be adjusted at the MINIMUM force, just enough to return pedal in the initial position.

All the force provided by the spring acts directly on the carburetor bushing, that worns itself until idling is no more stable.

A lot of carburetors are ruined due to a too-strong adjusting of the return string.

Note: 28Pict1 carburetors have no vertical spring so they do not suffer of this erasure.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

Op,
Is this just a case of, when you are in 1st gear. You tap the pedal and the car lurches forward?
Then you try to adjust your footing on the pedal you find the car kinda bucks a bit.
When the inertia of the first buck sends you back into the seat padding and then when you take your foot off the pedal, the deceleration causes you to hit the pedal again?
Starting the bucking motion that you can't overcome until you take your foot off the pedal so things settle down.

When I learned to drive a stick shift 49 years ago. The tube framed sand rail I was learning in. Had a roller pedal. It sucked! The thing bucked all over the beach. I hated that rail.

If this is your case. Try letting the right side of your accelerator foot, glide along the carpet on the tunnel while applying pressure to the pedal. The friction should reduce, the bucking issue.
If this is what your experiencing.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

OP: on the trans mount check, a trick I have seen is to grab the exhaust pipes and try to move the engine up and down. Movement equals bad mounts, more or less.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

My "trick" for checking for a bad front mount is to drive the car in 2nd gear like 20 MPH or so, then start stomping on and letting off the gas pedal, while holding tight on the gearshift lever. If you can feel the lever jumping all over the place, bad front mount.

20MPH is kind of sweet spot for the syndrome described above about the drivetrain shifting back and forth with a bad front mount. Last time I had this problem, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to hold 20MPH in school zones in 2nd gear.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Op,
Is this just a case of, when you are in 1st gear. You tap the pedal and the car lurches forward?
Then you try to adjust your footing on the pedal you find the car kinda bucks a bit.
When the inertia of the first buck sends you back into the seat padding and then when you take your foot off the pedal, the deceleration causes you to hit the pedal again?
Starting the bucking motion that you can't overcome until you take your foot off the pedal so things settle down.

When I learned to drive a stick shift 49 years ago. The tube framed sand rail I was learning in. Had a roller pedal. It sucked! The thing bucked all over the beach. I hated that rail.

If this is your case. Try letting the right side of your accelerator foot, glide along the carpet on the tunnel while applying pressure to the pedal. The friction should reduce, the bucking issue.
If this is what your experiencing.

Good Luck.

What you explained is exactly the issue I have. Except that my pedal is OEM not roller pedal.Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

I suspected so.
Try what I typed. Lay your right foot against then tunnel when pressing on the pedal. You should get better control from the friction of the carpet or the rubber mat.

This situation, is why I like my later (67 Shocked ) accelerator pedal.
But for what it is worth. Even my car (me) does what I have described above too, when I press the pedal too quickly.

Really. It takes practice. You'll get it. I have had 49 years to perfect the pedal roll/drag on the tunnel method.
You have had 4 months.

You can try the stiffer throttle spring for a bit. But after a while. You'll get tired of overcoming the spring pressure and go back to the stock setup. Especially during a long drive.
Say from Fremont to L.A. and back. That'll wear you out!

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal too sensitive Reply with quote

It's been asked, but what year is your car? Later models had an improved pedal linkage. The old design was prone to wear, jamming, excess play, which can cause jumpiness. The "z" linkage had to be clean, aligned, not worn or bent, and positioned perfectly with the correct spring and other hardware.

How about posting a photo of your pedal assembly, especially the pivot and linkage parts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: