Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spectra Distributer???
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-VW10-Distributor/dp/B001MU1BUU

I found this online today searching for alternatives with pre-installed electronic ignition and it intrigued me... it has an included offset ignition coil that is not an oil filled cylinder unit. Has anyone ever tried one of these or know anything about them? I just installed a Hot-Spark dizzy with a Flamethrower coil that seems to be a garbage combo. I was considering venturing out beyond a rebuilt OE unit. This one is 100% new, but I don't know how similar it is to factory spec.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

These are actually made by Ritchporter. Their reputation was so bad that they changed the name.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

Ah. I see. I saw a Porter stamp on the coil, that makes sense.

What's your take on the Hot-Spark/Flamethrower ignition systems, Glenn?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
What's your take on the Hot-Spark/Flamethrower ignition systems, Glenn?

You get what you pay for. Hot Spark has a higher failure rate than Pertronix. But Pertronix has a unacceptable failure rate compared to the system that were in production vehicles.

I use points.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

Understood. What dizzy would you recommend on a '72 stock dp with a 34-pict?
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

I still have my stock 009 mechanical advance laying around, but that was giving me a flat spot hesitation and my Hot-Spark is now giving me backfires. I converted back to a 34 from the 30 that the PO had put on.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
I still have my stock 009

009 was never stock.

The 34PICT-3 came with a 034. But the aftermarket 034s are not very good. Try to find a Bosch German 034.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

After trying Hot Spark I'm sold on points. Cheap and don't usually fail suddenly (or fail out of the box like my Not Spark). Plus if I can adjust my own valves and check my own timing then a little gapping and dwelling won't kill me.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
After trying Hot Spark I'm sold on points. Cheap and don't usually fail suddenly (or fail out of the box like my Not Spark). Plus if I can adjust my own valves and check my own timing then a little gapping and dwelling won't kill me.

You know you just can't mix and match ignition parts, they have to be compatible. This is especially true with electronic ignitions. The coil must have the impedance that the module is rated for or you'll burn ignition module out in short order.

I don't know why it is that VW guys have so many problems with Pertronix ignitions, I've installed tons of them in classic cars and never had a failure. I have a theory about power spikes from mechanical regulators and leaking AC voltage, but haven't tested it.

brad
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
kurt912 wrote:

You know you just can't mix and match ignition parts, they have to be compatible. This is especially true with electronic ignitions. The coil must have the impedance that the module is rated for or you'll burn ignition module out in short order.

I don't know why it is that VW guys have so many problems with Pertronix ignitions, I've installed tons of them in classic cars and never had a failure. I have a theory about power spikes from mechanical regulators and leaking AC voltage, but haven't tested it.

brad

I bought the corresponding coil that Hot Spark recommended and sold with the ignition module. Actually still have it, because after sending the module back for testing or replacement I was refunded for the module but ignored when I asked about returning the coil since I didn't get the new module. I don't have experience with Pertronix but did have a Mallory failure with my old 912.
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

Well I'm trying to eliminate the flat spot with my stock Bosch unit (mechanical advance, thought it was an 009, but I guess not) and I was under the impression that the vac advance units were supposed to resolve that. So I should probably stick with my stock unit and adjust the points?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
Well I'm trying to eliminate the flat spot with my stock Bosch unit (mechanical advance, thought it was an 009, but I guess not) and I was under the impression that the vac advance units were supposed to resolve that. So I should probably stick with my stock unit and adjust the points?

As Glenn explained, your mechanical advance distributor is not stock. You can find out which distributor your car originally came with by looking in the Bentley manual or some of the resources in the technical section of this site.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

This thread in the beetle section had a helpful chart on the first page, not sure if it applies to ghias. I know my stock carb and stock dist. Work well in my stock 72 ghia
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365762&highlight=rivet
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Distributer??? Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:

A 1972 Ghia would have had a DVDA (dual vacuum, dual advance) distributor installed matched to a German Solex 34-3 carb. Probably a Bosch 113905205AN. If you're not a purist, I'd get a restored German Bosch 034. You just have to make sure your 34-3 carb is matched to it if it's a German Solex 34-3. There were DVDA versions and SVDA versions. You can modify either to work with either distributor as well.

34-3 carbs hate mechanical only distributors. Reinstall either a restored Bosch DVDA or SVDA distributor. They will cure your off idle hesitations or flat spots.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: