Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche style fan, oil cooler?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Porsche style fan, oil cooler? Reply with quote

Yes you can call me all the names you want, frankly I don't care if one cylinder cools more than the other and all the other negative arguments I've read, I want one so I bought one.

I'm putting a Bergmann shroud on my buggy engine that see's maybe 1000 miles a year on a good one. I'm thinking I'm going to build hard lines out of an adapter in the stock oil cooler location and then soft lines off the motor to the cooler and fan.

Anyone see a reason not to use the factory oil cooler circuit and it's temp control capacity?

brad
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche style fan, oil cooler? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Yes you can call me all the names you want

I will then call you surely.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche style fan, oil cooler? Reply with quote

If it is going on a T-4 I would say wait till after some test runs to worry about it needing additional cooling. T-4 in light vehicles have a problem reaching running temps, and you are in Canada, ha..

But if it is going on a T-1 Sure go for the fan.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche style fan, oil cooler? Reply with quote

I took some tins and made glass molds from them, then glassed them inside the shroud so the air is forced where it should go to, not just forced down the sides of the cylinders where it escapes. that motor had about 1000 miles when it came to me the cylinders were purple..on the inside. they need the air forced down the fins and around the cylinder, not just blown on. it's quick and eazy to do what I did. make them, trim to fit(trial testing&triming secure on the mottor add some epoxie or glass with them inplace. the remove the assy & finish it off nicely.I even kept the heater ducts witch were above the"new tins".all done and you cant see any of it. i want one for my 356 but the new empi china 36 doggy style will have to do.... as for the cooler.you could eazely glass some holeders inside if you wish,I would do it so it isant blocking either cylinder but rather feeding all cylinders...or just use a ext cooler operated off the oe cooler location and run 2 lines.
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche style fan, oil cooler? Reply with quote

i run a 911 fan on a 2110 type 1.

i did it as it look amazing Cool IMO

anyway...

i use a block off plate where the stock cooler was (and no longer fits)

i now run a thermo stat sandwich plate off the full flow filter head.

this work well and i've tested it on 90mile long trips on UK roads with traffic and hills ect and seems to work well.

the plus of this is you get an oil thermostat based off oil temp not just oil pressure if that makes sense. and its kinda easier to plump in some ways, you don't need the hoses to pass through the shroud ect.

there are a few good quality sandwich plates about. i have the Mocal one and tbh the quality is poor.

i run a single Setrab cooler about 7inches tall and 12inch long (forget the exact size.) no fans on it and i fitted this by the torsion tube.

i'm going to add another on in series with this one purely as a precaution as i want to do some european road trips once i've rebuilt the car and it can't harm to have it there if needed and add a fan. probably over kill but won't harm.

hope that helps?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: